IGNORED

XLs are the best looking systems.

kheller2

In the end its the same sad story. The most boring, personalitieless computers won. The IBM PC clones! Yuck! At least Apple is still around. I really wish we still had Amigas and Ataris, and a descendant of the Apple II around.

I have an Apple IIc coming in the mail, which I got for like 30 dollars shipped (which is pretty good), off of Ebay. I am probably going to sit it on my computer table next to my Atari 800 :)

In the end its the same sad story. The most boring, personalitieless computers won. The IBM PC clones! Yuck! At least Apple is still around. I really wish we still had Amigas and Ataris, and a descendant of the Apple II around.

I have an Apple IIc coming in the mail, which I got for like 30 dollars shipped (which is pretty good), off of Ebay. I am probably going to sit it on my computer table next to my Atari 800 :)

I've got a clone of the IIc called the Laser 128 in my closet. It needs a repair to it's power-in, but once I get around to it, it will probably sit next to my 1200XL.

The Laser 128 and Franklin clones were great - I was sooo close to getting a Franklin way back but my Dad didnt like the 99% compatibility ;)

I ended up with an Atari 800/810 and never looked back :)

I even sold the Laser/Franklin machines at Sears years later and couldve gotten a returned one for a Song, but no need :)

Imagine if the Atari 400/800's had been built like the Apple II's, with slots for expansion. Just imagine the possibilities.

Yeah, just imagine the possibilities...wait, the 800 DOES have expansion slots! They may have been meant for OS&memory only, but people are finding out all kinds of ways to up grade the 800 with them, the link below is for an XE compatible 800, with a new OS card, and I've also seen internal IDE cards too. scroll down for pics (in the link)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95123#

The Laser 128 and Franklin clones were great - I was sooo close to getting a Franklin way back but my Dad didnt like the 99% compatibility ;)

I ended up with an Atari 800/810 and never looked back :)

I even sold the Laser/Franklin machines at Sears years later and couldve gotten a returned one for a Song, but no need :)

99% huh...that doesn't sound any worse (maybe even better) that the incompatibilities going from the 800 to the XL line!

I have several Apples and their clones.

1 Apple II+

1 Apple IIe

2 Apple IIc Pluses

1 Apple IIgs

1 Laser 128

1 Franklin Ace 1000

1 Apple III

Funny thing about the Franklin... it's DOS was actually faster than Apple's was. In the process of engineering a compatible DOS from scratch they found faster ways of doing things. I think the format was something like 30% faster. The Franklin also has a pretty nice keyboard.

The Laser 128 was a nice looking machine and the later ones had a 4MHz mode.