IGNORED

Paladin (WIP)

s0c7

Nice to see the magic items about to come into play soon but would'nt it be better to have the sword feed off the spell points?

Well.... my thinking on that is it's kind of like Stormbringer from Elric. It allows you to use it, but it has its own agenda and extracts a price from the wielder. If people complain, we'll see....

If people complain?

Aye ya yaaaeeeii, Dave, you're not even listening to any of my ideas. A complaint is one thing but I thought you said you were open to suggestions. To make that the only kind of sword to upgrade with is not a fun thing at all.

I envision it more as something that should be saved for emergencies and the really nasty things at the bottom of the dungeon. The dungeon scales in difficulty now. The stronger monster only appear on the lower levels.

There's only two kinds of emergencies: low HP and SP points. Is that the best time to use a life draining sword??? please envision something else.

Also when I say it drains more the more you use it, it's not like it drains 1 hp the first time, 2 the next, etc. It can be used several times draining 1 hp per hit before it increases to 2 and so on.

Okay, where's the strategy in that? In an emergency there is none. if I have 2 points of HP left while fighting a bearbug then I'm one sword swing away from killing us both. A choice of two deaths. If I use heal the monsters next turn will bring me back down. if the monster don't kill me the sword will. so you're dammed if you do, and dammed if you don't constantly worry to keep your HP very high if you plan to use the life sucking sword. I'm sorry but that don't sound like fun.

Please can somebody, anybody reading this tell me, what's wrong with my suggestion in post #48 two posts above?

I'm open to any comments too you know, that's what forums like this are for, right?

Maybe the eveil, blood-sucking sword could feed of the player's HP only on a miss. It's gonna get blood from somebody! Or maybe it takes HP every attack, but damage done to the enemy is added to the player's HP, or perhaps just a portion of the damage done (half? quarter?). Or give an option each turn to sacrifice HP for a better chance to hit, or do more damage, or both.

The men above me are wise, and have almost all the good ideas already, but if there's room for one more -

What if the evil sword kills you, and the game keeps going?

What if you are lost to madness, doomed to kill everything, to try to fill an emptiness inside?

Including a princess...

It's as simple as negative numbers for hp, and a quick palette swap. The sword becomes useful, but might cost you your soul.

Is it worth the price?

Edited by A Sprite

What you think about some enemies use poison atack?

The knight get green colour (or other) and you can't use magic spells, or knight be weak, or both.

These enemies sometime drop antipoison bottle for use, or you need use a HP increase spell for cure (in this case, it's the unique spell enabled).

Edited by LS_Dracon

I just finished posting before i found your last PM here. Yeah I know what you mean. Maybe I'm too fussy. and you're right it's suppose to be fun and look at where we're at now. I'm wondering what went wrong? Man I feel terrible. I'm really sorry if rocked the boat while I escalated my post to being more pointed. I really want to take back what I said earlier. I'm sorry for being a prick.

I just finished posting before i found your last PM here. Yeah I know what you mean. Maybe I'm too fussy. and you're right it's suppose to be fun and look at where we're at now. I'm wondering what went wrong? Man I feel terrible. I'm really sorry if rocked the boat while I escalated my post to being more pointed. I really want to take back what I said earlier. I'm sorry for being a prick.

It cuts both ways. We both said things that were taken out of context by the other. I apologize for anything I may have said or done that offended you. But I do need a break from this thing. It's sucking my soul just like the sword. :)

Give me a couple of weeks in the sun. Hopefully, my mood will improve and I'll see about bumping it up to 32k. I'll contact you then. We can start fresh if you still want.

Edited by s0c7

Give me a couple of weeks in the sun. Hopefully, my mood will improve and I'll see about bumping it up to 32k. I'll contact you then. We can start fresh if you still want.
Yes. A breather from this sound like a good idea. I'm glad I saw more of myself and learned a self taught lesson from it and I feel alot better now that it's behind us. I really look forward to starting fresh again, thanks Dave and rest up! I'll keep in touch.

• 1 month later...

This is looking really cool. I love Telengard and DND. Two of my favorites. Do you plan on making it real time like Telengard was? So the player can't take too long thinking about what to do next? I noticed that the monsters don't seem to be doing much damage. Keep up the work.

-Legend

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to those who have inquired about this. Paladin, as it was, is no more. The engine lives on and may eventually show up in a modified form with a different theme. I banged out 1775 over a couple of days the other week and it reawakened my interest in programming for the 2600. That said, I've lost interest in Paladin.

Thanks to those who have inquired about this. Paladin, as it was, is no more. The engine lives on and may eventually show up in a modified form with a different theme. I banged out 1775 over a couple of days the other week and it reawakened my interest in programming for the 2600. That said, I've lost interest in Paladin.

If you don't have any objections to releasing your source code and having someone else take over, you might want to post your final version of it in case anyone wants to pick it up and run with it. Personally, if anyone does do that, then I think you should get "equal billing" (or better) if the game is released for sale, along with equal (or better) "halfsies" on the earnings.

Michael

what? no! :sad:

If I quit working on this type of game all together or finish it, I'll release the source to Paladin. As the new thing I'm working on is similar but different, I'm going to sit on it for now. The D&D crowd is usually a fan of the new theme, so don't get too worked up over this.

On a side note, I'm getting tired of the latest round of bB bashing. Fun is subjective. There are several games in the store that are competently done, but IMO are not fun. That cuts across all programming platforms.

Sad to hear that Paladin won't be finished :(

It's a very promising project and i would have loved to play the completed version!

But nevertheless if you don't enjoy programming it anymore than stopping it is the right thing to do....

IMO both, playing and programming a game should be fun!

On a side note, I'm getting tired of the latest round of bB bashing. Fun is subjective. There are several games in the store that are competently done, but IMO are not fun. That cuts across all programming platforms.

Hm... I'd say the majority of people here on AA doesn't have a problem with bB.There might be a few people bashing it but why care? In the end it only counts if a game is fun to *you* or not and that is as you said subjective and has IMO nothing to do if it is programmed in bB or Assembly.

Edited by Impaler_26

I'm getting tired of the latest round of bB bashing.

If you're referring to the suggestion about requiring a "Made with bB" label on homebrews created with bB, I don't think the suggestion was intended to bash bB or anyone who programs in bB, because the person who made that suggestion is currently hard at work writing a game with bB! :)

Michael

I'm shattered! I was sooooo looking forward to this game. :(

Do you like comic books? ;)

hmm I just have a hunch what it can be :)

I will be very excited to play it once there is a working binary out there :)