IGNORED

New interface wish list

IndusGT

Here's what I would like to see for a new interface:

An IDE interface that uses the PBI port retaining full use of the SIO port for floppy drives, modem etc, and APE so you can transfer files easily and quickly.

A RAM disk like the MIO 1 MB would be great.

Works with IDE compact flash, any size.

Uses the full 512 byte sector like the Black BOX so you don't lose half your storage space.

Modem and printer ports would be nice but not essential.

Built in high speed SIO like the black box.

Any other ideas?

Edited by IndusGT

Howdy IndusGT

If you get yourself an SCSI2IDE convertor, you can use IDE devices with the BlackBox (Larry has done it). And for a real hardware pro, it shouldn't be to hard to come up with a memory board for the BlackBox. There's enough space in the configuration table of the BB.

Greetings

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

Howdy IndusGT

If you get yourself an SCSI2IDE convertor, you can use IDE devices with the BlackBox (Larry has done it). And for a real hardware pro, it shouldn't be to hard to come up with a memory board for the BlackBox. There's enough space in the configuration table of the BB.

Greetings

Mathy

Wow! I had no idea that there was such a thing. I don't know Larry, but if he cares to reply to this thread, wonder if he could give us a little more information about which particular interface he used, from which company. I found this one place among others:

http://scsi2ide.com/

Our Black Boxes use 50 pin SCISI. The other other question is can you use flash modules. I have a 256 MB drive on an MyIDE cartridge.

What you need the ramdisk for?

I have a 512K upgrade right now. I have Boss-X load and then it sets itself up in the ramdisk. The more memory you have the more options that the GUI can have. If you restart the computer Boos_X starts up from the Ramdisk.

Ethernet

An IDE interface that uses the PBI port retaining full use of the SIO port for floppy drives, modem etc, and APE so you can transfer files easily and quickly.

Uses the full 512 byte sector like the Black BOX so you don't lose half your storage space.

Any other ideas?

Wow! I had no idea that there was such a thing. I don't know Larry, but if he cares to reply to this thread, wonder if he could give us a little more information about which particular interface he used, from which company. I found this one place among others:

Our Black Boxes use 50 pin SCISI. The other other question is can you use flash modules. I have a 256 MB drive on an MyIDE cartridge.

Yes, I've used an IDE->SCSI converter for a couple of years. Mine is an ACARD AEC7720U. It looks very much like the item on your linked page:

"SLVD SCSI-IDE SCSI to IDE Bridge"

Mine works great. I started out using it with a 2-1/2" laptop drive, but then switched to a Sandisk compact flash card. The CF boots wickedly fast! It is *slightly* faster overall than the laptop HD, but only marginally so. I have found that the modern IDE drives (and CF) are noticeably faster than older 3600 rpm SCSI drives such as my original Conner 200 MB (3-1/2").

Be sure that you match your converter for the BB (original SCSI). Prices of these vary quite a bit. I paid $59 IIRC + about $10 shipping (new).

I have seen them occasionally on eBay for less.

As far as adding a ramdisk to a BB, the CF comes pretty close. However, an internal ramdisk should always be the fastest.

Incidently, I was told that CSS has sold all their remaining stock of BB's and FB's, although I don't know who the buyer was. I thought I had a problem with my BB, but it actually was a bad 130 XE, so I inquired about purchasing a new one. TTBOMK, CSS no longer works on these, so looks like we are on our own. Too bad, but at least there are other interfaces available.

-Larry

Ethernet

Any other ideas?

YES! Ethernet indeed! A text based web browser and e-mail shouldn't be out of reach.

There was an 8 bit project for the 8-bit a few years ago but it seems to be dead. It was close. It used a CS89000A controller.

http://www.geocities.com/vlastaar/a8ether/

The controller from the first provider is no longer available but this one is an exact replacement:

http://www.edtp.com/nicki_page.htm

I have one of these an I plan on hookin it up and running the contiki SW and see ehat I get. It would be nice for somone to pick up this project again. I could do the Hardware, but other that Atari Basic I am not a programmer.

Edited by puppetmark

Yes, I've used an IDE->SCSI converter for a couple of years. Mine is an ACARD AEC7720U. It looks very much like the item on your linked page:

"SLVD SCSI-IDE SCSI to IDE Bridge"

Mine works great. I started out using it with a 2-1/2" laptop drive, but then switched to a Sandisk compact flash card. The CF boots wickedly fast! It is *slightly* faster overall than the laptop HD, but only marginally so. I have found that the modern IDE drives (and CF) are noticeably faster than older 3600 rpm SCSI drives such as my original Conner 200 MB (3-1/2").

Be sure that you match your converter for the BB (original SCSI). Prices of these vary quite a bit. I paid $59 IIRC + about $10 shipping (new).

I have seen them occasionally on eBay for less.

As far as adding a ramdisk to a BB, the CF comes pretty close. However, an internal ramdisk should always be the fastest.

Incidently, I was told that CSS has sold all their remaining stock of BB's and FB's, although I don't know who the buyer was. I thought I had a problem with my BB, but it actually was a bad 130 XE, so I inquired about purchasing a new one. TTBOMK, CSS no longer works on these, so looks like we are on our own. Too bad, but at least there are other interfaces available.

-Larry

Thanks for the response that is great news indeed. Did you have to do anything special to get it to run? I put in Google and this is one of many links I got:

http://www.atacom.com/program/print_html_n...amp;USER_ID=www

I noticed that although it has a 50 pin interface it says it works for ULTRA SCSI. It worked OK on the BB which has a SCSI 1 interface?

Thanks again for all help in advance

Thanks for the response that is great news indeed. Did you have to do anything special to get it to run? I put in Google and this is one of many links I got:

http://www.atacom.com/program/print_html_n...amp;USER_ID=www

I noticed that although it has a 50 pin interface it says it works for ULTRA SCSI. It worked OK on the BB which has a SCSI 1 interface?

Thanks again for all help in advance

Yes, that's the model number of mine. I believe that your only real choices are 50-pin SCSI and 68-pin (which you don't want.) It is a 50-pin SCSI to 40-Pin IDE adapter, so if you are going to use compact flash or laptop drive, you must use another pin adapter in the IDE side. It is a "Master"-only interface, I believe. No I didn't have to do anything special. You have to set the SCSI ID jumper. There is also another jumper for an activity LED if you wish to use one (always nice). If you go to the ACARD site, I believe you can download the two-page docs for the interface.

Of course, setting up the BB for any HD is a little complicated, but just remember that you must *SKIP* the low-level formatting stuff. Everything else follows the BB docs. Good luck!

-Larry

P.S.-

I'm thinking seriously about making a new case for my BB that will accommodate the BB + IDE adapter + CF. I'll probably also mount my cooling fan a little differently, also. Maybe I'll call it my BB XLD. ;) Seems like a very useful project to "tidy things up."

-Larry