IGNORED

Should Atari 2600 bootleg games have a rarity?

Alex

Should old bootleg 2600 games be assigned a rarity in the guide? (this does not include modern homebrews)  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Should old bootleg 2600 games be assigned a rarity in the guide? (this does not include modern homebrews)

• Yes, all old games should have a rarity
    • Yes, but only unique games that weren't released by someone else
    • No, only official games should have a rarity

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hmm, we know that the 50 Thrust+ will be in collectors hands (and therefore should not get lost), but we don't know the exact number of Quadruns that are still existing. :)

Actually, I used to work for a... (um, let's see...) a plastic... melting company... (yeah, that's it!) and I remember us melting down approximately 9,874 Atari 2600 Quadrun cartridges a few years back.

We used the melted-down plastic to make cat litter boxes. And we sold the silicon chips from the cartridges to a company that grinds up old silicon chips to make cat litter. (Brilliant! They're buying every word!) I bet one of you out there right now has a cat that's... uh... littering... on an old copy of Quadrun right now! :razz: :o

(I'm sorry... work has been getting really monotonously dull lately. Mix that with excessive consumption of Vanilla Coke and something like this is bound to happen sooner or later.) :ponder:

We used the melted-down plastic to make cat litter boxes. And we sold the silicon chips from the cartridges to a company that grinds up old silicon chips to make cat litter.

Anybody hearing those voices in the cat litter box shouting "Quadrun, Quadrun, Quadrun" too? :D

(I'm sorry... work has been getting really monotonously dull lately. Mix that with excessive consumption of Vanilla Coke and something like this is bound to happen sooner or later.)  :ponder:

People who drink Vanilla Coke do not deserve anything better. :)

Call them pirates, hacks, bootleg, whatever you like, just separate them from the originals.

I will celebrate the day that the Digital Press Guide will have one big Atari 2600 section. Actually, come to think of it, JerryG's guide already has that. I think it's very cool to see the games regared by many as inferior on the same level as the almighty originals.

Cheers,

Marco

I will celebrate the day that the Digital Press Guide will have one big Atari 2600 section. Actually, come to think of it, JerryG's guide already has that. I think it's very cool to see the games regared by many as inferior on the same level as the almighty originals.

With separate I meant, that they should be classified somehow, like PAL and NTSC games are classified. IMO, they don't have to be in a different section, if you are able to use the filters as e.g. for PAL/NTSC. And it would be nice if they are linked to the originals.

I think that would make both of us happy. Ok? :)

People who drink Vanilla Coke do not deserve anything better. :)

You're just jealous because you don't have it in Germany. (Or do you?)

No, we dont have it, but where is the problem: If I wanted that, I could easily throw a lot of extra sugar plus some vanilla flavor into a normal coke. But I won't do that. I am a proud retro Coke drinker. :)

We don't even have that sweater Coke, that was launched some years ago. Also Cherry Coke and Crystal Coke vanished.

Actually, I'd drink Mezzo Mix all the time if it were available here!

That's how I started drinking Coke before my mother allowed me. But after that, I never went back. (Mezzo Mix = Coke + Orange Juice)

Sweater coke? Is that for the winter? Just kidding. I know you meant sweeter. Also, I never heard of Crystal Coke. I know there was Crystal Pepsi, but don't remember seeing Crystal Coke. Personally I liked New Coke, which didn't last that long, but came out around 1985. The new Vanilla Coke I find to be flavorful.

On to the games. I think all older games should be included. If they are bootleg/pirate games, then it should be noted these are such, but can still be relatively rare.

Also, what is the definition of old games? Anything before 1995? Earlier? Who is deciding this?

Phil

With separate I meant, that they should be classified somehow, like PAL and NTSC games are classified. IMO, they don't have to be in a different section, if you are able to use the filters as e.g. for PAL/NTSC. And it would be nice if they are linked to the originals.

I think that would make both of us happy. Ok? :)

Well... allright then :wink:

Cheers,

Marco

So does anyone want to start to put together an International "Heavy Hitters" group to try and figure out a) the rarity of each cart and b) prove which company made which cart.

I'd really like to see a group which could help the Al's start to fill in the large holes in the database.

I figure you'd need 5-10 people to make this work and get reasonable estimates of what the rarities should be. The first two obvious choices would be Ianoid and Marco. If we're having trouble finding people, I'd be more than willing to join as well. The problem is, I only have maybe 120 different foreign carts, and I figure 40 or so of those I got from Ianoid.

KA