IGNORED

IRC Chat Thursdays @ 8pm CDT/CST

JellE

Another Midge Ure fanboy or failing that, that scot from wet wet wet

Say What :???:

HUH :?

WTF :?:

Hahaha... yeah your guess is as good as mine too... guess you have to be from across the BIG pond to know.

Okay guys... as some of you may already know... Telnet is down. It should be back up in a couple of days. But in the meantime... the java applet is still available... but some people seem to be having problems with it. The best bet is use an IRC client. I did discover a problem. Most of the servers won't let you in unless you use port number 6667. So... if you are having problems connecting to a NewNet server here is my suggestion. Type /server servername:6667 (ie: /server irc.eyearesee.org:6667)

Here is a list of the servers on New Net

irc.tobug.net

irc.Sith-Net.com

irc.rejectauthority.com

irc.redwolfs.net

irc.ircsoulz.org

irc.frog-face.com

irc.eyearesee.org

irc.spasticsystems.co.uk

irc.flatlined.net

irc.indianskickass.info

If anyone has any questions... you can PM or leave a message here... I will get back to ya as soon as I can.

Just to help you out lynx guy...midge ure used to front a pop band in the lates 70's/80's called 'ultravox' (if you remember the song 'vienna' you'll know who i mean)

Can't remember the name of the scot use used to be with wet wet wet, but they sang the theme tune for the brit flick 'four weddings and a funeral) with hugh grant, simon callow et al ('love is all around')

Sorry, i meant ROD stewart not ROB stewart (boy, he's as old as the dinosaurs)

Alrighty folks.. tonight is Thursday...and yes I am posting this a little early, as I won't be here tonight. It saddens me greatly! :) haha Anyway... the telnet server is still down... so try the java applet or again, if you an IRC client... awesome!

Take care and y'all have a wonderful evening!! See ya next week!

Please let us know when the IRC is back up and running

Warren, if you want to... you can use the java applet (www.newnet.net) ... or go so far as to download an IRC client. My client of choice is mIRC. You can get it at www.mirc.com. Slor's server is down, and probably will be for awhile... or at least I haven't had an update about it in awhile. You don't have to exclusively use hyperterm... or "telnet"... there are other ways to get there if you really want to.

mIRC 6.21, for Windows Vista, XP, ME, 2000, 98, 95, NT etc.

There are 26 different websites all over the world that has mIRC 6.21

I was confused as to which one to click on but after reviewing the site further

I read the following. . . . . . .

To get a fast and reliable download choose a location from the list below that is close to you.

It really does not matter what download location you pick, all files are the same!

However the drawback is. . . . . . .

mIRC can be downloaded freely and evaluated for 30 days. If you find that you like mIRC, and wish to continue using it after the evaluation period, you are required to register it. Your registration will license you to use current and future versions of mIRC.

You can actually use it well after the 30 days... but after that you will get a pop up asking you to register it every time you log onto mIRC... and all you have to do is click on it and it will go away. My copy is registered... only because I registered it 10 years ago. Everytime you upload a newer version your registration goes with it.

You don't have to register it to continue to use it... they just want you to. It isn't just going to stop working. It is kinda like winzip... you are supposed to only use it for so many extractions then buy it. Well.. you can always use the evaluation version just about forever.

Alright... I am a little late posting this... but it is almost 8 PM CDT. The instructions are in the very first post... if anyone doesn't already know how to get there. Telnet is still down... but you can use the other two options. Thanks and hope to see you there!!

On mIRC you don't. You just go to the little hammer icon... click on it. It opens another window... and has options.. it will say connect. Expand the section. Click on Servers. It will have a list of IRC servers... scroll down to Newnet. Click on the folder. (or double click however your computer is set up) Pick a server name in that file and highlight it. Go over to Select and click on that. Once you do that... it will take you back to the connect box. Then all you do after that is click on Connect to server. That will get you on the Newnet server. Once you are there... you can type /join #atari in the little status window... and that will take you right to the chat.

You can put your nicknames on the connect window, before you do all the aforementioned stuff. You will be good to go! :)

The last part... means you are connected. I tell you what... in that little window.. type /server irc.eyearsee.org:6667 this should work... and don't forget to put your name, email, etc in the connect box where it says "full name", "email address", "nickname", "alternative"... this should fix the problem.

Well so far I can't get it to work

If you use Mozilla/Firefox as your browser, you might want to try installing the chatzilla plugin (Tools | Add-ons | Get Extensions | search for chatzilla, download and install).

Once you have it installed. Select Tools then Chatzilla to launch it. Select Chatzilla then preferences from the menubar and click the startup tab. Add irc://IRC.newnet.NET:6667 as an auto-connect url. Close and restart chatzilla and it will automatically connect to that server. Once connected, type /join #atari to open the atari channel. Right click the atari tab

and select 'open this channel at startup.' Close and restart chatzilla and it should get you right into the room.

have fun.

Thanks WizWor... didn't even know about chatzilla :)

You're welcome. I find it a lot easier for people who always connect to the same channel on the same server. After the initial setup, you're in with one click. Sometimes, all I've got in me is one click ;-)