IGNORED

HDD recovery... 8-bit style

SpicyChronos

Hey all,

I have a question about data recovery for the 8-bits.

I have a Supra/k-Products HDD interface w/10 Meg HDD. Well it was in storage for a long time, but before it was stored away, it worked.

I never did do a backup, even though I had a APE system running as well (Stupid me). :roll:

Anyway, is it possible to recover the data from the drive, it was split into three partitions, a 720 Sector boot partition, and then 2 more partitions of equal size.

The interface I think works, but not sure, and the HDD, well it spins up, but nothing else. When I turn on the Atari, it's sending some signal to the HDD to do something (I can hear the heads inside move), but still nothing.

Could this drive be hooked up to a MIO or blackbox to get to the data? :?:

I think I used SpartaDOS X at the time.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks!

-Spicy

Edited by SpicyChronos

Hey all,

I have a Supra/k-Products HDD interface w/10 Meg HDD. Well it was in storage for a long time, but before it was stored away, it worked.

I never did do a backup, even though I had a APE system running as well (Stupid me). :roll:

Anyway, is it possible to recover the data from the drive, it was split into three partitions, a 720 Sector boot partition, and then 2 more partitions of equal size.

The interface I think works, but not sure, and the HDD, well it spins up, but nothing else. When I turn on the Atari, it's sending some signal to the HDD to do something (I can hear the heads inside move), but still nothing.

Thanks!

-Spicy

I used to have a Supra Interface, but never used it and gave it away years ago. However, I still have the docs, so I'll look through those and see if there is anything that might be of help. Since the boot partition info is probably different, at best, you might be able to use a BB or MIO to get the *raw* data off, assuming the drive is still OK. That would be ugly.

Your best shot is to get this system running. IIRC, you have to plug in a ribbon cable connector to the PBI on an XL. Are the contacts on the PBI card-edge connector *scrupulously* clean? Check all your connections. Power supply good? If this worked when you stored it, then it *should* work now. No guarantees, but the odds are this is a "cable or crud" issue. Clean and check things. Do you still have the SDX cart? Does it work ok by itself? If you boot with a SD 3.2 or 3.3 floppy (properly configured) can it recognize the drives? Did you possibly use another Dos such as MyDos to set this up? Any error messages -- 130, 160, etc.?

-Larry

Howdy Spicy

You could try Video61. Lance bought the rights to the Supra/KPI-Interface from Bob Klaas a while ago. (Lance said so on c.s.a.8 back when I could still access newsgroups)

I have NO clue how data is written to an HDD by this interface. But the BB does it in a different way then the MIO does.

It should be possible to read the contents of the HDD from any interface that will let you directly send SCSI commands to the HDD. It can be done with a BB. That's how I was able to figure out the configuration data. Problem is, I used a very crued way. So the software is far from user friendly. And I'm still halfway where it comes to migrating my hard- and optical drives to my big tower. And what you'ld get is one long row of data. You'ld have to write that back on an HDD before you can use it again. (Or locate each separate file and extract them one by one. Not an easy job) And I've never done that yet. Heck, I could wipe out lot's of good stuff.

So it can be done. But it's NOT easy and NOT without danger.

You best chance would be to contact Video61.

Greetings

Mathy

Hey all,

Thanks!

-Spicy

I used to have a Supra Interface, but never used it and gave it away years ago. However, I still have the docs, so I'll look through those and see if there is anything that might be of help. Since the boot partition info is probably different, at best, you might be able to use a BB or MIO to get the *raw* data off, assuming the drive is still OK. That would be ugly.

Your best shot is to get this system running. IIRC, you have to plug in a ribbon cable connector to the PBI on an XL. Are the contacts on the PBI card-edge connector *scrupulously* clean? Check all your connections. Power supply good? If this worked when you stored it, then it *should* work now. No guarantees, but the odds are this is a "cable or crud" issue. Clean and check things. Do you still have the SDX cart? Does it work ok by itself? If you boot with a SD 3.2 or 3.3 floppy (properly configured) can it recognize the drives? Did you possibly use another Dos such as MyDos to set this up? Any error messages -- 130, 160, etc.?

-Larry

Hi Larry,

I've gone over the connectors with a pencil eraser, and alcohol and lint free swabs. The power supply might be in question. I did measure the 5 volt line and it seemed low. like 4.78V. I'll see if I can find another PS.

I remeber using SpartaDOS X with the setup. All sparta does is do all it's farting noises, says r-time8 cart not present, and ramdisk setup.

I tried running the FORMAT command, and it doesn't see the drives.

If it was to boot up correctly, the 1st partition is a 720 Sector *fake floppy" (D1:) and I had a autoexec batch file on there to setup paths, etc. I get nothing out of that either.

I'm wondering if the E PROM chip is flaky. It has been covered with a plastic housing, but the E PROM itself doesn't have a sticker over the window.

I contacted DanWinslow to see if I could borrow his interface, and he said he'd let me.

So I'll wait for it to show up, and try his.

Thanks.

-Spicy

Howdy Spicy

You could try Video61. Lance bought the rights to the Supra/KPI-Interface from Bob Klaas a while ago. (Lance said so on c.s.a.8 back when I could still access newsgroups)

I have NO clue how data is written to an HDD by this interface. But the BB does it in a different way then the MIO does.

It should be possible to read the contents of the HDD from any interface that will let you directly send SCSI commands to the HDD. It can be done with a BB. That's how I was able to figure out the configuration data. Problem is, I used a very crued way. So the software is far from user friendly. And I'm still halfway where it comes to migrating my hard- and optical drives to my big tower. And what you'ld get is one long row of data. You'ld have to write that back on an HDD before you can use it again. (Or locate each separate file and extract them one by one. Not an easy job) And I've never done that yet. Heck, I could wipe out lot's of good stuff.

So it can be done. But it's NOT easy and NOT without danger.

You best chance would be to contact Video61.

Greetings

Mathy

Hi Mathy,

Thanks for the info. I'll try contacting Video 61 as well. I wish I knew more about this interface, etc..

Anyone suggest a inexpensive E PROM reader/programmer? the E PROM hip on this interface is a 2722A-20.

I'll provide some internal shots of the interface.

-Spicy

Anyone suggest a inexpensive E PROM reader/programmer? the E PROM hip on this interface is a 2722A-20.

I'll provide some internal shots of the interface.

-Spicy

I like the "Willem" (for PC).

Edited by bf2k+

Reading the Supra/KP docs, it reminds me that your system's symptoms sound as if your drive is missing the configuration info from track 0. My first 10 MB HD had that issue frequently. I was constantly re-writing the MIO configuration info using the MioUtils. It was a Miniscribe, IIRC, and I know that when I got a new Seagate ST-251, the problem went away.

-Larry

Hey all..

An update....

I'm waiting on an EPROM programmer. I Hope this thing works.. it's one of those Wilem types. I'll dump the EPROM and compare it to one of the images that Algie provided.

I have tried hooking up another HDD to the interface, and it does the same as the one i'm trying to recover. It will send some sort of start command but nothing else.

If the interface is working right, I should be able to format the drive(s) , etc... but nothing, any DOS I try says drive not available.

So I'm waiting on the EPROM programmer, and DanWinslow's interface to test with.

I'll keep everyone informed as I get more information.

Thanks all.

-Spicy

Hey all

I missed the UPS package today, so they'll come tomorrow, thanks again DanWinslow.

I received my willem multi eprom programmer, but I'm having trouble reading any type of eprom. I have two to read right now. a 27C256 and my 2732A from the interface. the 27C256 came from a Apple II SCSI card I had laying around. I've tried the Windows (XP and 98SE) and the DOS version of the software, followed the jumper settings, etc. I think I'm getting something with the DOS version, but I don't know if the jumper settings are right. They differ from the Windows Version.

The Windows version is 0.98D5

and the DOS version is EDE MAY 10/99 B0.992 1.0 Freeware

When I was getting a read, it looked like the data was repeating itself. the same bytes over and over with the DOS version.

The Windows version would just show 00, 90, 80 a lot.

I'm off to do some more research on this. If anyone has experience with the Willem programmer, please chime in.

Thanks All!

-Spicy

Somewhat a success...

I was able to get the programmer working, using an older version of the software. I was able to read the 27C256 chip. Unfortunately in my haste to think it was a empty eprom, I went and used my improvised UV eraser on the 2732. Well the chip does erase, and report that it's empty. before I wasn't even getting that. So I burned the two different BIN files that Algie provided. but I don't get anything. SpartaDOS just farts a lot, and nothing. So I'll have to wait till the morning to get DanWinslow's interface and try again.

Algie: Where did you find these BIN images?

Thanks.

-Spicy

Please give a moment of silence for a old 10 megabyte HDD. Yes the Xebec 4000 10MB HDD has passed away. I took the old beast out back and put a slug through her platters.

I've given up on getting the data off. I know when I'm beat, and I'll go into the corner now and lick my wounds. :sad:

DanWinslow, I'll be sending back the interface shortly. Thanks again for letting me borrow it.

Algie, thanks again for providing the BIN images for the interface.

And everyone else that tried to help out.

R.I.P.

Born Dec 20, 1985

Died April 6th, 2007

Xebec 4000

-Spicy

post-3905-1175889210_thumb.jpg

post-3905-1175889240_thumb.jpg

post-3905-1175889265_thumb.jpg

That's a heck of an innings for a hdd. At least you can rest knowing that you tried to recover.

On a passing note, you could have transfered the platters into working mechanics (if you could find another matching drive).. contrary to correct procedure, you can get away without the use of a clean room, i have done this several times..