IGNORED

ATARI BBS GATEWAY (links to all Atari BBS's on one BBS!)

doctorclu

Dan, will try to get the Atari telnet chat working. Have to admit, not sure I have ever gone through that gateway to get there. :)

S1500

"Ah, memories of BBSing. I never understood why most new user applications for BBS rivaled the size of a home loan application. Why do you need my address? You gonna visit me? Why do you need my phone number? You gonna call me?"

Bogus info is the only way to go."

Yep true. See what Darklord had to say above on the why they asked for addresses. It is just the way the program was written back in the day.

Of course, in the case of Dark Forces where they actually have door prizes for monthly attendance, the address comes in handy to ship gifts. So the only real application I have seen. And even then Darklord usually asks you where you would like the doorprize shipped to (To date I have won issues of Atari Computing back in '99-'00, issues of ST Magazine, and the Mega Ste motherboard, so good prizes to be had)

I under stood about the bbs thing, because back in 1980 I had a ti bbs running in my basement

one was for the TI Chicago users group, then we branched off to do ti-west bbs.

Edited by Dan Iacovelli

Well, Ruben has the software company looking into why there is a restriction to not allow 300 baud users.

"Date : 3/21/2007 9:31 AM

Subject : Re: Comment 3/21/2007 9:19 AM Reference : NONE

Read : 3/21/2007 12:55 PM (0 replies) Private : Yes

Conf : 0 - Private E-Mail/Internet E-Mail

(snip)

Also the programmer could not think of a reason why 300 baud users could not

logon. So for now I do not have an answer to resolve this. I will keep logon. So for now I do not have an answer to resolve this. I will keep

working on it.

RDFIG Computer Solutions

http://www.rdfig.net

Edited by doctorclu

Getting this back makes me wonder if it could be the Atari BBS's setting the limit. I'll try to test my setup at 300 baud tonight.

º°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°º PRISON CITY USA - PRISON BOARD BBS º°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°º

To : GREG GOODWIN Date : 3/22/2007 9:12 AM

Subject : Re: Comment 3/19/2007 11:13 PM Reference : NONE

Read : No (0 replies) Private : Yes

The programmer as responded and he is unaware of settings to restrict

connections at any baud rate. He wondered if the error message displayed

was from my system or your side of the fence. He basically looked for error

messages regarding minimum and could not find anything. He suggest that

some modem dialers have an option of something like

[X] connection requires error connection

If it has something like, remove the X as no error correction is needed at

300 baud.

RDFIG Computer Solutions

Edited by doctorclu

Any volunteers to try this out at 300 baud? :)

To : GREG GOODWIN Date : 3/22/2007 9:48 AM

I made a change on the property of my modem to disable error correction.

Have someone try connecting at 300.

RDFIG Computer Solutions

Edited by doctorclu

Any volunteers to try this out at 300 baud? :)

To : GREG GOODWIN Date : 3/22/2007 9:48 AM

I made a change on the property of my modem to disable error correction.

Have someone try connecting at 300.

RDFIG Computer Solutions

CELL: 214-682-1129

rdfig@rdfig.net

I just did. It says the same thing.

Allan

• 3 months later...

Checked all BBS's on the internet gateway and all are functioning, with the exception of the telnet server to the Atari IRC chat, which hopefully will be back up eventually.

In the meantime, Darkforces continues to give away door prizes, and on Inside the Atari 8-bit we plan on seeing if we can have people on all lines (all three active) at 9 pm cst this Saturday night. So let's see if we can have some fun with that.

Also, when you get on any of the BBS's listed LOOK FOR THE MESSAGE MENU COMMAND or NEW MESSAGE SCAN. I realized that many of you probably got on BBS's and had no idea what all the hooplah was.

The hooplah is, to me at least, that it is a area like this, but on a REAL Atari computer, and off the internet, so what is said will not be found on any internet search. These BBS's are an Oasis of Ataridom. And if you can get there ON a Atari, even better!!

And please give me any suggestions for this gateway service. We want you to make use of this service that puts all the active Atari BBS's in one place. The main thing is, make it easier for you, give this BBS providing the service more callers, and get you to all the BBS's out there.

These Atari BBS's are smoking away 24/7, many of them real Ataris, left on for YOU to enjoy.

I have heard one complaint that there are too many questions when logging into each BBS. My suggestion is to give you name, E-mail address, and put in fillers or bogus answers in the other fields if you feel uncomfortable with giving more. And tell them I sent you! (might mean something, might not, but shouldn't hurt.) :P

• 2 months later...

An update for this... with Marius' BBs coming back up I've got with Reuben to add this BBS to the list.

I know for a fact these BBS's are working...

The Boot Factory

Inside the Atari 8-bit

Darkforces

Atari 8-bit Inside (Marius')

Not working tonight at least...

Closer to Home

Shadow Skeleton BBS (The Atari Grove)

(IRC chat link is currently down)

Unsure...(ran out of time to call tonight)

Mousenet

@DocClu,

Cool man. I'll try that very soon.

I have had good experience with Mousenet a week ago. Not tried now.

I have one question: that prison board... that makes a connection to my board... but is it possible to use Atascii then? In my opinion my BBS is the coolest on Atascii (and the fastest)... Any idea's? I'll try.

Btw. Mousenet seems not to support 40 column width Atascii... only 80. i don't have xep80 and I don't want one... i love 40 column width :)))

Marius

In this day and age I'm leery of any system that asks too much personal info.

Why on earth would they need anything more than my email address?

I agree for 100% with you.

Problem is with my own bbs that this is not so easy to change. The 'newuser' command automatically asks these things, and the userlog database expects this data.

By the way: in fact that is the fun too ofcourse. You login on something old, so it is an old way-of-doing-things ;)

But I will ask Stehpen J. Carden if things could be more simplified ineed. But... I give it not much chance.

Thanks for your feedback

Marius

What BBS software is being run and on what h/w configuration?

Curt

I'm not sure If you want to know that about my BBS system, or the gateway the TS is talking about.

My System is atari 800Xl with BlackBox and Lantronix MSS100. Software is TCPIP Express 7.0 written by Stephen J. Carden.

Greetz

Marius

• 1 month later...
sweetness! Not only is it in DFW metroplex, As soon as I can get an 800(im planning on it, probably christmas) and a modem I'll be a knockin.

Nice! Good to meet another DFW person.

Until you get your Atari up and running, try the link below...

+-------------------------------------------------+

| =ATARI BBS LIST / ONE CLICK PORTAL=

|Click Handshake picture on this link

|(register) hit enter a lot, then "x" at main menu, "A"=Atari, then select Atari BBS!

+-------------------------------------------------+

(Granted this is on my signature, but if that changes this link will still be here.) ;)

Edited by doctorclu

• 1 month later...

I'm working to update the Atari BBS list for the new year.

Here are the BBS's I was able to get on:

1) Boot Factory

2) Inside The Atari 8 Bit

3) Mousenet BBS

No response from:

1) Darkforces

2) Atari 8-bit Inside (Marius' BBS)

3) ST Guild

4) Closer To Home

The Chat link will soon be corrected, but wanted to do all the corrections at once.

(Telnet://irc.atarichat.net 800)

Also looking into "The Grove BBS" Telnet://shadow.skeleton.org

(Type BBS and then nothing for the password)

Also need to add the chat link for the Tuesday night chat

(Telnet://www.atarinews.org)

Alright, please let me know of any other BBS's we need to get on this list before I get the changes made. Thanks all!

Ok, so that is what I was able to find out there

Edited by doctorclu

Some interesting BBS news... this is just to catch you up so that you can go into the BBS's without having to dig for this and can therefore just jump in....

1) Boot Factory sysop Abdul

(Atari 8-bit BBS, emulation, ATASCII option)

Running well. Marius (of the fifth BBS to be mentioned here) mentioned thinking about selling his Atari equipment on the message base here. I really hope he didn't.

GAMES ON THE BOOT FACTORY

1. Blackjack

2. Rule Prometheus! (Kingdom)

3. Pro-Zee

4. Keno!

5. Life Expectancy

-. Coal Mines of Midlothian (Selectable from main menu ATASCII needed)

2) Inside The Atari 8 Bit sysop Steve

(Atari 8-bit BBS, Real equipment, ATASCII option)

Up and going. Been a little activity on the first message base. The game menu does not seem to be active at this time. However this BBS is known for being possibly multi-channel, so you can have more than one user on at a time, and this is run on the real equipment. Good ANSI screens and menus too for the non-Atari user getting on this one.

3) Mousenet BBS

(Atari 8-bit BBS, Real Equipment?, ATASCII option)

"11-04-07 BBS Crash"

"sh*t happens, the BBS was crashed the last days and killed all the Boardfiles and my Boot partition. The userist was not deleted. not I have installed an older Backup from 10-03-07 (only the Boardfiles on Partition 5)"

When I checked the message base was not letting me post. So if someone could please let the sysop know if you know him.

MOUSENET has ATASCII cartoons and ASCII picture galleries.

4) Darkforces

(Atari ST BBS run on a Mega ST 2)

UDS-10 (Serial to Ethernel adaptor) is down. Will be back up when a replacement comes.

DARKFORCES, when it comes back up, is a great ST BBS that has a variety of message areas, and many online games. More on this soon.

5) Atari 8-bit Inside (Marius' BBS)

(Atari 8-bit BBS run on the real hardware)

See the first entry for the Boot Factory. Possibly down for good. :(

6) ST Guild Chuck B

(ST BBS run on... ???)

telnet://stguild-bbs.dydns.org/

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 22:16:19 -0400, Chuck B wrote:

> I have had some problems with over the last few months. I and had to shut it

> down. But if you want I will put it back up right now!! I am going to see

> how things go for a month so give it a try.

Will have to see if he is willing to give this another go. Posted a message on the Atari ST newsgroups to see what the plans are. Hopefully Chuck will reply.

7) Closer To Home Tom Hunt

(Atari 8 bit BBS run under emulation, ATASCII option)

This long time BBS has been basically up for forever. It has spells where it is down while family uses the computer, so who knows on this one. There is a discussion about Tom Hunt's work here.

8 ) The Grove BBS

(Atari ST BBS run under emulation.)

Telnet://shadow.skeleton.org

(Type BBS and then nothing for the password)

Just got on this BBS the other day, looks really promising.

Here are the games...

1. Assassin

2. Galactic Empire 2.41

3. Final Frontier 1.53

4. Space Trader Elite

5. Mount NevereST Trivia

6. Cows 9.0

7. Super Star Trek

8. Death

9. Air Defence 3.8

10. Moria/ST

11. DDST (AD&D ST)

12. Pirate Adventure

13. Ghost Town Adventure

14. Blackjack

15. James Bond: World Domination

16. Trivial Pursuit

PLEASE if you know of any BBS's that are up that are not listed, please let me know ASAP as we are adjusting the BBS list at telnet://rdfig.net (again x at the main menu for internet, then A for Atari, then select the Atari BBS on the list. There are broken links, this will be all updated completely soon).

Also don't forget the Atari IRC chat starting at 8 pm CST. (I'll be a late arrival, but plan to be there eventually.)

FANS OF BBS's and Atari chat rooms...

The ATARI GATEWAY has all known BBS's, and a some unknown. :) To find out which is which, come check it out.

There are also links to the Atari IRC chat (which meets at 8 pm CST Thursday, and off and on throughout the week at random times.)

And there is a link to the telnet chat (Which meets at 10 am CST Sunday and 7 pm CST Tuesday, and it good as a message area after that)

All this updated TODAY! :D Merry Christmas to all BBS & chat fans, and please come see what is new at the Atari Gateway...

telnet://rdfig.net

X at the main menu (after you get past all the intro screens) for "Internet"

A for the Atari menu

Then select 1 though 11.

Important details and FAQ Answers

- I don't think Inside the Atari 8-bit second line is active, but left there since it is off and on.

- Dark Forces is not currenlty up, but will be VERY soon. :D

- Some of these BBS's like Boot Factory will output character in a strange order when you type. This is a strange echo effect over telnet that needs to be ironed out eventually. However, you can read fine, and if you just type away, the output will look normal on the other side. it is only messed up on your side of the screen. :D

- The Prison Board BBS that runs the Atari Gateway can run as low as 300 baud, however, it will take about 45 minutes to get past the intro screens. We are currently working on this.

- The Prison Board BBS has a dialup line in addition to telnet access at 972 329 0781

- The Prison Board BBS is considering adding Atari Newsgroups as well as making areas for other computer enthusiasts such as Commodore and others.

Edited by doctorclu

• 3 weeks later...

There are multiple worlds of BBS gaming easily findable at...

The Prison Board BBS...

972 329 0781

telnet://rdfig.net

At the main menu type X for the internet menu

At that menu you will see links to recently updated Atari & Commodore BBS lists. More than just a list, select the number on the list and the Prison Board will take directly there. *

You will find other BBS's in the "Telnet outbound" menu for more BBS's. Collin County & Family Net are Dallas based.

And in addtion to all the unique Atari & Commodore BBS games run on real and some emulated Atari & Commodore computers, you also have the option of the many door games that are on the Prison Board. Just select "D" at the main menu.

Come check us out at the Prison Board!

(* with some links (a few Atari ones at least) you might find where you get a type echo. Dispite how it looks unless you mistype the end result that the BBS will see and displayed in messages will look normal.)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Has anyone been able to get on the Mousenet in the past month?

04 MouseNet BBS telnet://atari-bbs.kicks-ass.net

How about the ST Guild?

telnet://stguild-bbs.dyndns.org

I've not been able to reach Archmage and ask him about the ST Guild. I can't

connect with it right now either... :(

Bummer... well, on a lighter note... Darkforce login screen as viewed using Flickerterm on the Atari 800...

post-4709-1210797314.jpg