IGNORED

Are there any tanks in River Raid?

XTClaus

Ok, thats the point. If I fly my aircraft to the headquarter - how many of these tanks are there? Should I take Pitfall-Harry with me and parachute him to the front-line? How can Mr. Dig Dug help me and what shall I tell Mrs. Pac Man? I've got a pretty affair with her. Is it possible to get help from the Missle Command section while attacking Atari HQ? I just met Mr.Defender and Commander Starmaster and they will come with me...

Where are the tanks in the Atari Version? :?

Activision had an extra feature to the 2600 version: Disguised Tanks! :)

While they are disguised, they can't fire and the player get's no points when hitting them. Unfortunately the disguise mode code has a bug, so that the tanks show up too late for most players (starting from level 1024). When converting the 2600 original for other plattforms, they corrected this bug, but (I don't know why) removed the feature completely.

See my disassembly for details. :D

ok Thomas I'll bite.. ;)

So are you joking? are there tanks that show up around level 1024?!?!? And they're invisible? And they can't fire? And you get no points when hitting them? So for all practical purposes, they're not there? Or are they there sometimes and then get invisible on and off? I don't understand... :?

So ARE there tanks in 2600 River Raid? If so, can you possibly alter the code to have them come out earlier? What's the deal dude? :D

So are you joking? are there tanks that show up around level 1024?!?!? And they're invisible? And they can't fire? And you get no points when hitting them? So for all practical purposes, they're not there? Or are they there sometimes and then get invisible on and off? I don't understand... :?

No, the tanks were planned to be there nearly from the beginning (after only a few bridges). The disguise feature was probably planned for a bit higher levels. But they mixed up the code, so now they are allways disguised in the lower levels and start showing up (and fire and can be hit) after level 1024 (=2^10).

If so, can you possibly alter the code to have them come out earlier?

Unfortunately this a real problem. The code is very heavily optimzed now. So I haven't found a way to correct the bug without breaking other things. But when I find some more spare time, I'll definitely try again. :)

I think Thomas is teasing us. :roll: :D

Is it even possible to get to a level 1024 in this game?

Since each level's layout is different, there must be code in the game that provides layouts for a certain number of levels. Definitely less than 1024 of them!

I think we should inspect Thomas's disassembly of the game and see once and for all whether he's serious or not...

Is it even possible to get to a level 1024 in this game?

Since each level's layout is different, there must be code in the game that provides layouts for a certain number of levels.  Definitely less than 1024 of them!

No, if you look at my disassembly, you will find that there are 57337 different levels generated. They are not stored in the ROM, but are generated through a random number generator (same principle as in Pitfall!, just more levels)

They are not stored in the ROM, but are generated through a random number generator (same principle as in Pitfall!, just more levels)

OK... that seems plausible to me. But I still don't believe that there are tanks. :ponder:

(I looked at the disassembly, and the only mention of any tanks is the fuel tanks that are all over the place in the game.)

I saw a tank while boosting my retro-rockets right a the start-point. The reverse speed brought me to level 43786 and there were thousends of tanks in front of a strange building. And there is a flag on the building that says that we (the germans) will win the football (Fussball) match on sunday. But I was shot down very close to the goal...

Any real help for the lost tanks possible? Maybe I can use my rare basic-modul for this job... :idea:

Thomas,

Are there any tank GFX in the disassembly? And could we verify if we were really bored with a hacked no-collision version? How long would it take?

Seriously, are you kidding about this stuff? Besides, where's your Burger King demo, with actual development artwork?

-John K. Harvey

WHY THOMAS IS PLAYING WITH YOU:

If the levels were generated randomly, they wouldn't be the same every time you play! For instance, after bridge 4, the route to 5 always looks exactly the same. Same beach shapes, same bad guys, same positions. This is true for every level -- they repeat without exception. I don't believe there's a single random number generation routine in this code. The whole game's pattern-based!

-- Encyclopedia Brown Chris

P.S. And Thomas, don't try to say that the random level generator doesn't start until wave 1023...I'm way ahead of ya! :D