IGNORED

Are there any tanks in River Raid?

XTClaus

Thomas, when you identified the addresses of the bytes to change in a hex editor, how did you go about determining that?  I guess what I am really asking is, do you have a table listing the game variable values and their addresses?  That would be a great tool for novice would-be game hackers like myself to use for tinkering with other values in the game!

What I'm using is an extra listing file the assembler (DASM) creates. There the source code is displayed together with all addresses the assembler generated.

Using DASM is really not complicated if you know how to type a command in DOS. On the Programming forum, there is currently a beginners thread about 2600 programming.

BTW: I'm making progress with the tanks. Until now, I can make them only visible after the bridge is destroyed. Maybe I find a solution for that, but I'm not sure.

>>

BTW: I'm making progress with the tanks. Until now, I can make them only visible after the bridge is destroyed. Maybe I find a solution for that, but I'm not sure.

<<

You could probably add the balloons but I doubt you could add the tanks because the tanks need to be able to shoot and no other object in River Raid can shoot projectiles other than the plane. So that would probably require some radical changes to the kernel to pull off, and might not be possible without flicker due to timing although you might otherwise have the free missile for this.

You could probably add the balloons but I doubt you could add the tanks...

I'm not adding them, I just try to make them visible. ;)

...because the tanks need to be able to shoot and no other object in River Raid can shoot projectiles other than the plane.

Remember, the tanks are limited to the road/bridge and their shots only travel in that area too.

BTW: I did just send the first version of my Undisguised-Tanks-Hack to Albert. I hope he will make it available here quite soon. :D

Ahhhhhh Thanks Thomas for getting me started on this.

I have succesfully "fixed" the code on my own using my ADVANCED programming skills *ahem*

I got the tanks visible added the balloons and uncovered a suprise or two in the process that I think Thomas might have missed!!!

Anyways enough about it for now.

I need to get some rest since I have been spending all my free time on this.

Here's the result of all my work.... enjoy.

moycon-96.gif

*Runs out the door before Thomas can catch me*

Using DASM is really not complicated if you know how to type a command in DOS. On the Programming forum, there is currently a beginners thread about 2600 programming.

Well, I'm on a Mac, so until there's a Mac or Unix version I am out of luck.

Well, I'm on a Mac, so until there's a Mac or Unix version I am out of luck.

Well, you can either emulate DOS on your Mac, or use the C source code of DASM and make you own Mac version, or search the web for an existing Mac version (I think it does).

And Unix versions exist for sure.

Well, you can either emulate DOS on your Mac, or use the C source code of DASM and make you own Mac version, or search the web for an existing Mac version (I think it does).

And Unix versions exist for sure.

Thanks for the tips... I am going away for about 10 days but when I get home I will have lots of time to explore this. Of course, I'm sure by then someone will have already rewritten all of River Raid... :D ;)

Nice work, Thomas!

Thanks! :D

Question- what do you define as a "level"?  And is it true that the river will eventually start to repeat (or is it truly "endless")?

One level equals one bridge.

Yes, the river will start to repeat, but this will happen after 57337 bridges, so the chances that anybody will ever notice this, are quite low. :)