IGNORED

Combat DX: Battlefield Design Contest

Dragnerok X

Sorry I haven't replied in a while, I was just a bit busy. Here's a new binary with a few of my favorite maps thus far, the new (slightly modified) explosion sprite and a slightly tweaked score. More to come.

Very good maze entries. I like the selection! I'm thinking of doing a couple myself later as this is turning out well. I like the different color idea you came up with Dragnerok (glad I was able to help it :D )!

However, something is wrong with the explosion--

It looked jerky and I just realized it's because the first explosion pic got distorted when I enlagred it and the distortion showed up in the sprite modification of your last binary. My fault.

I fixed it here so you can try again in your next bin post. Beforehand I also did some slightly different explosions and reappearing tanks since you have separate sprites for them and thought the varity would be nice but I don't have the pics of them here because I'm not sure if you want to use them? Nobody likes the new tanks I did. .. :? anyway, here's the varity bin.CDX_new_explosion_reappear_.bas.bin

...and the corrected explosion pic.

post-7623-1176510170_thumb.png

Yes, thank you for the compliments / updated sprite picture. I was wondering whilst adding the explosions why they were nine pixels by nine pixels (as opposed to eight) and I tried to duplicate them as best I could... but ... well .... yeah. ;) So, again, thank you, I'll finish the color selection quickly, update the explosions and have it all ready before you can say otherwise (pacific time, that is :D).

PAC-E-POO!!

............XXXXXXXX............
  ..........XXX......XXX..........
  ........XXX.....X....XXX........
  ......XXX.......X......XXX......
  .....XX...............XX........
  .....XX...............XX........
  ......XXX.. ...........XXX......
  ........XXX..........XXX........
  ..........XXX......XXX..........
  .............XX..XX.............

200 POINTS!!!

...........XXXXXXXXXX...........
  .........XXX........XXX.........
  .......XXX............XXX.......
  .....XXX....XX....XX....XXX.....
  .....XX.....XX....XX.....XX.....
  .....XX..................XX.....
  .....XX..XX..XX..XX..XX..XX.....
  ....XX.XX..XX..XX..XX..XX.XX....

I JUST FORTED!!

......X..................X......
  .......X................X.......
  ...X....X..............X....X...
  ....X....X.....XX.....X....X....
  ....X.........XXXX.........X....
  .0?.X.........XXXX.........X.0?.
  ....X.........XXXX.........X....
  ....X....X.....XX.....X....X....
  ...X....X..............X....X...
  .......X................X.......
  ......X..................X......

BLOCK ARENA!!

.........XXX...XX...XXX.........
  ...............XX...XXX.........
  ...XXX..............XXX...XXX...
  ...XXX...XXX..............XXX...
  ...XXX...XXX...XX...............
  ...............XX...XXX...XXX...
  ...XXX..............XXX...XXX...
  ...XXX...XXX..............XXX...
  .........XXX...XX...............

........XX..........XX..........
  ..............XX................
  ....02..XX..........XX..08......
  ........XX..........XX..........
  .......XX............XX.........
  ......XX..............XX........
  ....XX..................XX......

Tempus fuji (translation: time for Atari). Hope I got the angles right.

Here it is. Color "Themes" were added (via reset switch); Traditional, Desert and Arctic respectively. I also fixed the explosion sprite. Other changes are fairly un-noticable. I'm open (aside from levels as usual) to any (reasonable) battlefield-related changes and/or color schemes. Well... might as well not waste any time.

Combat_DX.bas

Combat_DX.bas.bin

@bomberpunk: The selection of levels you have provided me is literally groundbreaking. I especially like the "200 points" level you've just posted. Give me a day or two to catch up and I'll add a few.

MOUNTAIN MADNESS!!!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  XXXXXXXXXX..................0?..
  XXXXXXXX.......XX......XX.......
  ...XXX.......XXXXXX......XX.....
  ...........XXXXXXXXXX.....XX....
  ..XX.......................XX...
  ...XX......XXXXXXXXXX...........
  ....XX.......XXXXXX.......XXX...
  ......XX.......XX.......XXXXXXXX
  ..0?..................XXXXXXXXXX

Edited by bomberpunk

AGGRAVATION!!!

(not sure if this one would work, but the idea is to not allow players to cross the middle border but still attack through it).

..............0?................
  X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.X.

AGGRAVATION!!!

(not sure if this one would work, but the idea is to not allow players to cross the middle border but still attack through it).

Nice idea! :D

Respawns would have about a 50% chance of putting a player on the same side of the border as the opponent, though. Not sure the best way to deal with that. I wonder if it would make sense to have a list of respawn positions for each board, and select randomly from the list. That would also allow for "hollow" decorations without the risk of players materializing inside.

Respawns would have about a 50% chance of putting a player on the same side of the border as the opponent, though. Not sure the best way to deal with that. I wonder if it would make sense to have a list of respawn positions for each board, and select randomly from the list. That would also allow for "hollow" decorations without the risk of players materializing inside.

Yes, but that would also take up a ton of romspace, something I will not allow.

On the other hand, (1) what's wrong with letting the destroyed tank respawn on the same side (call it the "Oh shit!" effect), and (2) how about adding one or two places where the tanks can go through or *around* the border (the idea being that you can get to the other side, but it's kind of a pain to go all the way over to where you can get across/around)?

Michael

On the other hand, (1) what's wrong with letting the destroyed tank respawn on the same side (call it the "Oh shit!" effect), and (2) how about adding one or two places where the tanks can go through or *around* the border (the idea being that you can get to the other side, but it's kind of a pain to go all the way over to where you can get across/around)?

Michael

Yes, I agree with you. How about one inconveniantly located "transfer" tunnel on the side of the map?

how about adding one or two places where the tanks can go through or *around* the border (the idea being that you can get to the other side, but it's kind of a pain to go all the way over to where you can get across/around)?

Michael

Yes, I agree with you. How about one inconveniantly located "transfer" tunnel on the side of the map?

I like the idea of one on each end-- so that as one tank is racing to cross at one end, the other tank could be racing to cross at the other end (to try to get away)! :D

Michael

how's about a different colored square that serves as "warp-to-a-random-spot"?

Sorry, but when I designed this game, all objects except the ball were used. Could I possibly stretch the ball to serve as a "warp pad"? Possibly, yes. I probably could even do a half-death sequence only showing the "re-appearing" section of the player while still randomizing. Patience. Give a few days to look into it. I've a few suggestions made by Mike (SeaGtGruff) which need adding, along with your levels, so hold on there.

Oh, I've got one. It's definately going to be an annoying level. ;)

X.......X........X.............X
  X..11X.......XX...X...XX..X....X
  X..XX...XXX......X...X.........X
  X........X......X.........X....X
  X..X..X.....XX..XX.....X...X...X
  X.....X.....X.........XX.......X
  X....XX..X.....X..X........XX..X
  X..X......X...X...XXX..X..X03..X
  X.....X....X...........X.......X

any updates to test?

Patience. I've been hectically busy this weekend trying to finish a few (non-atari related) side projects of mine. That, and I still have a few sprite-related difficulties left to work out with SeaGtGruff. So, all I can say is, hang in there!

;)