IGNORED

Combat DX: Battlefield Design Contest

Dragnerok X

Sorry everyone. It looks like I must redo most of my playfields. After play testing the latest demo I realize the tank can't move through the narrow edges at the top and bottom parts of the screen in most of my designs; and the tank can get stuck when trying. :(

I'll look at them again later and see what changes I need to make.

Maybe not, with the advent of this newest release. :D

Combat_DX.bas

Combat_DX.bas.bin

(This fixes both top and bottom movement, BTW) (see below)

Edited by Dragnerok X

Just an FYI though, this release marks 30 levels (well... 29) with ~600 bytes left. Going with my original math, 4096 (4k) - 660 (current free space with 29 levels) /29 = ~118.5 bytes per level, which, by the way, is remarkably close to my original prediction of 114.5 bytes per level, considering the color-scheme setup added a bit of "weight" to the bank. So, by that standard, I will finish this calculation. 4096 / 118.5 = 34.56 level capacity. I will round up to 35 however, because, again, the bank is "weighted" and what weight was added by the color schemes is already there and there probably won't be any more color-schemes, anyway.

So, on that note; 29 levels down, 6 to go! :) If you have a level design you want to submit, bring it up now. Once the bank is filled, that's it, the other 3 are dedicated to code for up-and-coming features (sound synthesization, AI, etc.). Also, for these last levels, I will be open to literally anything, just as long as it's a reasonably good idea.

Again, Good luck!

I see you already fixed the tanks getting stuck at the bottom of my mazes in your latest bin post -but the tanks still do get stuck at the top of some of em'. Since I'm gonna have to make some design alteration there, I may as well try to make some more new designs to fill up what space you have left. I know the wait has been long for you.

I hope I can think of something that will work right this time around.

I see you already fixed the tanks getting stuck at the bottom of my mazes in your latest bin post -but the tanks still do get stuck at the top of some of em'. Since I'm gonna have to make some design alteration there, I may as well try to make some more new designs to fill up what space you have left. I know the wait has been long for you.

If you check the even newer revision (same place as the "new" one you found) you will find that even the top has been fixed; so good news there, news which should allow you to further expand your designs. Though yes Espire8, I'd be glad if could do these last levels for me. I still would like anyone else with ideas to come foward, but if all else fails; this will do fine too.

If you check the even newer revision (same place as the "new" one you found) you will find that even the top has been fixed; so good news there, news which should allow you to further expand your designs. Though yes Espire8, I'd be glad if could do these last levels for me. I still would like anyone else with ideas to come foward, but if all else fails; this will do fine too.

Any luck with what was mentioned above? How are the levels coming Espire8?

:)

THE BURROWS

....XXXXXXXX..XXXXXXXXX...XX....
  ...................X.....X01....
  ....XXXXXXXXXXXX..XXX.....XX....
  ....XX.........X.......X...X....
  ....XX....XX..........XX...X....
  ....XX...XXXX.......XXX....X....
  ....XX..XX05XXXXXXXXXX....XX....

THE BURROWS

....XXXXXXXX..XXXXXXXXX...XX....
  ...................X.....X01....
  ....XXXXXXXXXXXX..XXX.....XX....
  ....XX.........X.......X...X....
  ....XX....XX..........XX...X....
  ....XX...XXXX.......XXX....X....
  ....XX..XX05XXXXXXXXXX....XX....

Thanks for the level, Bomberpunk. I'll add this as soon as I can. :)

Glad to see you back bomber!

I could'nt think of anything much except a couple of unused revisions.

What do you think of these two?

Cave of maze

X...XXXXXXXXXXXX...XXXXXX..XXXXX
........XXXX.........XX.....X...
X........XX..........X..........
XXX.......X..............07...X.
XX........X..................XXX
...............X......XX......XX
..............XXX.......XX......
.XXX.......XXXXXXX........XXX...
....XX..16...XXXXXX.........XX..
..................XXXX..........
X....XXXXXXXXXXX.............XXX

[b]
Mountain Interior

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXX.XXXXXXXXX..XXXXXXXXX.XXXXXX
XXXX..XXXX.XX....XXXXXXX.05XXXXX
XX.....XXX..X....XXXXXX.....XXXX
X.......X.........XXX.X......XXX
XX.................X......X....X
XX...............X.......XXX...X
XXX.....X........XX......XXX..XX
XXXX...XXX.XX...XXXX....XXXXXXXX
XXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX07XXXXXXXXX

[/b]

Glad to see you back bomber!

I could'nt think of anything much except a couple of unused revisions.

What do you think of these two?

Cave of maze

X...XXXXXXXXXXXX...XXXXXX..XXXXX
........XXXX.........XX.....X...
X........XX..........X..........
XXX.......X..............07...X.
XX........X..................XXX
...............X......XX......XX
..............XXX.......XX......
.XXX.......XXXXXXX........XXX...
....XX..16...XXXXXX.........XX..
..................XXXX..........
X....XXXXXXXXXXX.............XXX

[b]
Mountain Interior

XXXX.XXXXXXXXX..XXXXXXXXX.XXXXXX
XXXX..XXXX.XX....XXXXXXX.05XXXXX
XX.....XXX..X....XXXXXX.....XXXX
X.......X.........XXX.X......XXX
XX.................X......X....X
XX...............X.......XXX...X
XXX.....X........XX......XXX..XX
XXXX...XXX.XX...XXXX....XXXXXXXX
XXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX07XXXXXXXXX

[/b]

I like the second one. I'll easily take that. If anything else, (assuming all submissions have been entered) I could come up with a few levels to add in, or even dig through the previous entries to determine if there was anything I missed.

i agree. definitely Map B.

here's my final entry if it's not too late...

HIDE N SEEK N DESTROY

.....XXX...X..X...XXX...XXX.....
  ...XX...XXX....XXX...XXX...XX...
  ....09X.....X.....X.....X.......
  ......X.....X.....X.....X01.....
  ...XX...XXX...XXX....XXX...XX...
  .....XXX...XXX...X..X...XXX.....

Edited by bomberpunk

^ I like.

Too bad I couldn't come through....just one question though, if you're actually reading this by chance.

Would it be possible, or even a good idea, to make a level that's just for ricochet play, where some walls allow bullets and tanks through, so that there's almost a mini-Metroid type of feel to exploring it?

Just a thought.

Perhaps a bad one...but 100 monkeys have to be right sometime....

i agree. definitely Map B.

here's my final entry if it's not too late...

HIDE N SEEK N DESTROY

.....XXX...X..X...XXX...XXX.....
  ...XX...XXX....XXX...XXX...XX...
  ....09X.....X.....X.....X.......
  ......X.....X.....X.....X01.....
  ...XX...XXX...XXX....XXX...XX...
  .....XXX...XXX...X..X...XXX.....

No, not at all. Actually, there really is no deadline. Thus far, I've only came up with one good level anyways, so BomberPunk (or anyone else), if you have any new level designs go ahead. Throw it at me. I'm all ears.

:)

^ I like.

Too bad I couldn't come through....just one question though, if you're actually reading this by chance.

Would it be possible, or even a good idea, to make a level that's just for ricochet play, where some walls allow bullets and tanks through, so that there's almost a mini-Metroid type of feel to exploring it?

Just a thought.

Perhaps a bad one...but 100 monkeys have to be right sometime....

I'm not saying this wouldn't be possible, it's just that in order to have a level like that I would have to completely re-design the physics model to accomodate the level; and I'm not quite sure how I could accheive said "pong effect" anyway. That said, like I told BomberPunk, if you have any new designs, feel free to post.

Well here's RC1 (Release Candidate 1) for Combat DX Demo 6: Battlegrounds. In this, I have added all the levels I could fit, (including a few old ones and some experimental / tech demo types) with a rather astonishing 8 bytes left! :) I was also able to notice and fix the bug espire8 pointed out earlier with the tanks locking up towards the top. This was acchieved the same way the bottom was fixed, by letting the tanks go slightly past their usual border, in this case the top of the screen. The only drawback to this technique is the fact that the tanks get cut off a little when passing these borders, but it's a small price to pay for a near bug-free game.

Combat_DX___Demo_6_RC1_.bas

Combat_DX___Demo_6_RC1_.bin

(I'm still, however, open for levels if there's one which you think should be replaced)

Edited by Dragnerok X

battlefield #22 should be replaced with the updated version i made in post #13, that way there are no dead ends (unless you like the old one better)

other than that, this game and its variety/selection is pretty kick-ass.

one of the best features is when a tank respawns on the other one. the smooth seperation is quite nice. you don't notice this too often unless you're playing battlefield #13, which is the Vienna Sausages layout (also my favorite one that i made).

good job, all.

Edited by bomberpunk

battlefield #22 should be replaced with the updated version i made in post #13, that way there are no dead ends (unless you like the old one better)

other than that, this game and its variety/selection is pretty kick-ass.

one of the best features is when a tank respawns on the other one. the smooth seperation is quite nice. you don't notice this too often unless you're playing battlefield #13, which is the Vienna Sausages layout (also my favorite one that i made).

good job, all.

No problem. I will fix that first thing tomorrow morning, do a quick once-through to make sure I didn't create any bugs and will probably have demo 6 up before lunch (Pacific Time, of course).

Before I forget, I also would like to thank all who have helped me throughout this contest. Espire8, Bomberpunk, SeaGtGruff, Gambler172, and possibly a few others; thanks for all of your help throughout a would-be painstaking process.

:thumbsup: :) :thumbsup: