IGNORED

More than 25,000 video games, and counting

From CNET

Game collector is archiving the best

Henry Lowood, curator for the history of science and technology collections at Stanford University libraries, is in charge of a major project involving the archiving of 25,000-plus video games. Hear how the project started and where it goes from here. CNET News.com's Miriam Olsson reports.

Video

Isn't that Ultima games he pulls out the box ridiculously expensive?

y-bot

Yep, it's Escape from Mount Drash, and one went for $3000 a couple of years ago. I almost fell off my chair when he nonchalantly pulled it out of the box.

EDIT - Beaten by Mr Red Eye!

Edited by Malc74

25,000 games, does anyone think that is close to the total of every game that has been made since Pong? I honestly haven't got a clue.

I've heard that the total's supposedly closer to 100,000. Who knows...

There are something like 10,000+ games for the C64 alone, so 25,000 is absurdly low. 100K is more likely, but even that is probably low.

Hmm. I compiled some of these numbers before...looks like around 10,000 is a good number for console titles - add another 3-4K for handhelds.

I'd bet that DOS, Windows, C64, A8, Amiga, Macintosh, and Apple ][ will all have around 5-10K each. Probably way higher for DOS and Windows, actually.

Conservatively, then, if you add up all console, handheld, and the computer platforms listed you have around 50K titles. Then there are the coin-ops plus every other computer platform out there. 100K sounds like the right neighborhood.

i'm gonna do that, right down every single game ever made, on every system. the most complete waste of time ever, but it will be so awesome! then i will give an exact amount.

>.> i have a list of all my games.. with the numbers >.>

helps me not get duplicates cause i forget which games ive sold or kept sometimes.

You should check out a videogame collecting database like www.rfgeneration.com . I think there something like 30,000 games there. Also, about the shrinkwrap. They'd be much better off just cutting a slit around the top opening. That way, they can keep the wrap on, and still check out the contents. That would be so fun going through all of those games and organizing them. :D

Edited by kevincal