IGNORED

What's Your "Collecting Fetish"?

Tempest

No, this topic isn't what you're probably thinking. I don't want to hear about where you rub your E.T. carts at night, or what you do with that stack of combat carts when the wife is out of town. I'm talking about what are your odd little collecting "quirks". Not so much the general "I like to collect boxed games" stuff, but more of the collecting one type of thing for various systems.

For example, I've noticed that I have a thing for Demonstration carts (and that's still legal in at least 10 states). I must have 10 or so for various systems (everything form the VideoBrain to the Astrocade). I also like to collect and use only 1st party peripherals for systems, even if there's a much better 3rd party alternative (all my 8-bits use only official Atari peripherals). I have a friend who's really into Diagnostic carts, and another who just loves to collect printers for various systems.

So what are your collecting fetishes?

Tempest

No, this topic isn't what you're probably thinking. I don't want to hear about where you rub your E.T. carts at night, or what you do with that stack of combat carts when the wife is out of town. I'm talking about what are your odd little collecting "quirks". Not so much the general "I like to collect boxed games" stuff, but more of the collecting one type of thing for various systems.

For example, I've noticed that I have a thing for Demonstration carts (and that's still legal in at least 10 states). I must have 10 or so for various systems (everything form the VideoBrain to the Astrocade). I also like to collect and use only 1st party peripherals for systems, even if there's a much better 3rd party alternative (all my 8-bits use only official Atari peripherals). I have a friend who's really into Diagnostic carts, and another who just loves to collect printers for various systems.

So what are your collecting fetishes?

Tempest

Well its funny about 5 or 6 years ago I left my hometown and left my Atari and games for my younger siblings to play......I lived away from the area for 3 years. When i moved back my mother mentioned the Atari had been put in the closet and no one was using it. So i decided to take it along with the 30-40 games i had. I played the games a bit and suddenly i found myself browsing ebay for them just to get a variety of different ones to play. The first atari auction i think i bought was a lot of 40 or 50 games the titles weren't listed I just went by the distant picture of the games and i got some kind of rare titles nothing major but things like Snoopy, Pitfall II, and so on. Then strangely i just wanted more and more and more.....and then when i had most of the games loose I still wasn't happy......so i started looking for them all boxed! Before Atari i found myself collecting a lot of Japanese issued CD's mostly because of the special extra tracks usually contained on them. I probably have over 3000 cds..........a big majority of them are Eurodance titles......which most of you Atari collectors have probably never heard of.

I am actually thinking of grabbing my Garbage Pail Kid collection from my Parent's house and get into that again. My old neighborhood friend's Dad used to work for Topp's so i acquired many of these cards.

Edited by Atarimania75

Hmm... that's a tough one.

One little quirk that I have is that if I bought a system brand new, I prefer only to use things I bought new on it (IE - My Jaguar - it irks me to play my original Jaguar with my copy of Wolfenstein that I bought used - same for my DC and Xbox)

I'm also a big fan of collecting attachments for a system. I love the Genesis because I can completely pimp it out with the SegaCD and 32X. Any game that utilizes all of the attachments is pure bliss (Corpse Killer for the 32x/SegaCD - heck yes!)

I'm only somewhat picky about first party peripherals - I'd say that I'm mainly picky about it for the Dreamcast. You'll never see me use any 3rd party controller for my DC (or 3rd party memory card). Same for my Cube.

Speaking of the Cube, I not only refuse to buy any 3rd party controllers for it, but any controller that doesn't match. Same goes for memory cards. Black Controllers, black memory cards. Thank goodness my gameboy player is black as well.

Of course, all of these "rules", so to speak, have been broken by myself multiple times - they just happen to be what I will do on impulse.

That's about all I can think of at the moment - not sure if they all fall under "collecting fetishes", but they are my gaming quirks. :)

Edited by atariman

It's kind of died down a bit for me now but for a while, I had the idea that I'd collect every single Sonic the Hedgehog game ever made, for every system, including ports.

Probably doesn't sound like a big deal but there are a LOT of Sonic games, including some really obscure ones for systems that never made it over here, and some of those are not easy to find. I think I counted over 100 total games when I started out, and that was a couple years ago.

My big thing is books about games. Older strategy guides; the older the better. I found one once called "The Book of Adventure Games" and it was all about games like Zork and Mystery House and whatnot on the Apple II and other computers of that era. I have no idea if it is worth anything at all, but it is the crown jewel of my collection just because it is so cool (classic computers are my primary area of interest.) I also like the guides from the 8 and 16 it eras like "The Players' Strategy Guide to Atari VCS Home Video Games", the "How to Win at Nintendo Games..." series, the "Totally Unauthorized..." series, and stuff like that. Generally, guides that cover only one game are not my deal unless it is a really cool game like a great RPG or something. I just get WAY more excited when I come home from hunting with a really cool book than I would if I came home with some cool games.

So that's my fetish I guess.

Chris

Edited by Jibbajaba

I can't resist anything I find that makes me say "Why the hell would they ever make that??"

The Wisdom Tree games for the NES have always been favorites of mine, along with recent addition Captain Novolin for the SNES. Right now my one of my biggest collecting desires is a copy of Super 3D Noah's Ark.

Of course i also collect good games, but when friends are browsing my collection, the more times they say "Why do you even have this?", the better.

Big goofy controllers. I guess it started when I would troll the flea markets and not find any games I needed, you'd see these giant unwanted arcade controls and steering wheels unloved and going for nothing. So it began, I now have flight sticks, wheels and pedals galore and even the playstation snow board controller. Its one of the silliest things to collect really, most are only supported by a handful of games and they're a pain to store or display. Still I've managed to resist buying on of the Ninetendo seat cover things promises to make you feel every punch.

587763.jpg

:ponder::ponder::ponder::ponder::ponder:

Holy crap!!!

What game is that?

Please say it's on the genesis.

I like collecting for consoles that thave lots of cool add-on's.

Sega is also my faforite game company, so I have a fairly large genesis collection

with the dreamcast coming in second for the moment because they seem to fulfill

two game fetishes at once.

I'm also collecting for the colecovision, but it only fullfills one of the game fetishes,

so it dosen's get nearly the same amount of attention as the genesis and dreamcast.

Demos, Repros, system add-ons, and Homebrews primarily.

... and if it's a CPUWiz, Neotokeo, or Shawn Sr game or from the AA Store then all the better!

I also love promo items for all systems. Like for example my Tomb Raider Pens - writing with my hands on Lara Crofts ass is priceless. :D

It's my guess that the modo tits game is on the Saturn.

I've always had a thing for baseball games.. until they started sucking ass. Atari 5200 RS Baseball, NES RBI Baseball were both great. I bought a SMS to play "Great Baseball" which wasn't all that great. I bought NEO GEO after seeing Baseball stars and played that quite a lot.

After that the only good baseball games have come out in Japan only. World Stadium series by Namco (SNES/PS1.. the N64 was so-so). My favorite series to date is the Konami Powerful Power Baseball (not sure what they're up to now, I think I have #9 on PS2)

US made baseball games have been an embarrassment. Companies (and consumers) focus on cinematics and "close up" camera angles and the games are seriously lacking in gameplay.

So yeah, Baseball Games for me!

We have so much weird promo stuff. My most favorite items are these... The green one has 3 different flashing options - slow & fast as well as a steady light. :D Seriously, anyone who wants to get rid of weird vid game promo related items please send my hubbs (z28in82) a PM and just blame it on me, not like he wouldn't know anyway. :ponder:

post-2879-1177097956.jpg

Eh, lately it's been "gotta be homebrew"

But I guess my more weird quirk is...I gotta buy it new....but not full priced :\ just something about getting the thing new and complete the way nature entended. the Bargin bin is my friend (asides all those damn sports titles :x

The other one is, if the game has a tie in to videos, and toys, I gotta have all that crap...like Gargoyles and all 40 billion or so variants of goliath. :P Or spiderman and all his different hims, especially the cheap undergound mom and pop store toys.

Thes third one is for systems., the weirder the system (vectrix) or bigger a flop (Hyperscan) a system is, the more I want it.

Games released as a system is dying. The poorly designed shovelware masquerading as kids' games, the quirky budget titles that receive horrible translations from Japan, the well-designed games that use all the tricks of pushing a system that have been developed over a few years, the polished titles that are years late and shoved out the door with low print runs...

I'm also a sucker for games that have extra stuff packed into a bigger box. The Working Designs PSX RPG collections, or Star Raiders and touch pad in a big box.

More tangential would be my collection of video game movies. If video games figure prominently in a movie's plot, or if it's a game-to-movie adaptation, I'll own it eventually. I actually spent money on two different Uwe Boll flicks last week.

I actually have another little quirk. I collected all of the original batch of NES games that Nintendo put out, both in Japan and in the US. You know, the ones that had that funky pixel art on them. The US got most of them, but there are several we didn't (two Mahjong games, an Othello type game, a Popeye spelling game, Devil World, and a few others). I don't know why, I just thought they were cool.

Tempest