IGNORED

your vote = my purchase at AtariAge

bomberpunk

here's the deal. i'm buying a Synthcart today, but i also want to get a second homebrew cart and i'm completely undecided between several titles. so it's up to YOU to help me decide.

rules:

1) whichever game gets the most votes is the one i buy with the Synthcart

2) do not vote for Testcart. i don't want that.

d) contest ends when i find Atlantis II at a yard sale, or sometime later today (whichever comes first).

&) please do not vote for the games i already own (see below)

Q) 2600 titles only

these are the games i already own.

2005 Minigame Multicart

Astar

Fall Down

Ladybug

Medieval Mayhem

Phantom II / Pirate

Qb (still "sealed")

Strat-O-Gems DX

Warring Worms: The Worm (Re)turns

Edited by bomberpunk

i actually own Qb and Holiday Qb, both still sealed in the plastic dealie. and Holiday Reinder Rescue too, but i didn't include those in my list because they're limited releases anyway.

i'm not a huge fan of Lunar Lander type games or cockpit shooters, although i bought Star Fire when it was first released. i played the hell out of it because it was fun (and incredibly hard for me) and because i wanted to be the in the top 50 list. that never happened...

i could have said before which games i had in mind, but i wanted to hear what other people had to say first.

games that i do like are maze/puzzle, vertical/horizontal shooters, action/adventure, and pretty much anything muliplayer (but with a solid AI for single play). arcade ports are always awesome, too.

keep the suggestions coming, they're making me read up on games i didn't even consider.

Edited by bomberpunk

games that i do like are maze/puzzle

Four Play, Okie Dokie, Jammed? |icon_innocent.gif

vertical/horizontal shooters

Oystron! Alia Quest maybe

action/adventure

Pretty much everything for the 2600 is "action". :)

and pretty much anything muliplayer (but with a solid AI for single play).

Gunfight and Marble Craze!

For shooters (leaving aside Thrust+), I'd go with Oystron, Seawolf, Conquest of Mars, Rainbow Invaders, and Space Instigators, in that order. Gunfight's another good one with 2-player death matches. ;)

I've also heard good things about Allia Quest, though I haven't ever played it.

For maze games, I'd pick Marble Craze. Skeleton+ is another maze game, though a bit different (first-person!). And there's Pesco, which is a well-reviewed Pac-Man-ish game (again, never played).

Others I'd recommend, which don't necessarily fit into a neat category, are SWOOPS! and Crazy Balloon. ;)

Is there anything in the store which could be classified as action/adventure? Maybe Hunchy II or A-VCS-Tec Challenge. One of the hacks might fit, though: Venture II or Wolfenstein VCS.

Edited by vdub_bobby

these are the ones i had in mind at first:

Backfire / Conquest of Mars / Crazy Balloon / Marble Craze / Mental Kombat / Power Off!

but i took Backfire off the list because in z26 i can barely stay alive for one minute and that just pisses me off.

and now i'm thinking about getting Star Fire again, or perhaps even Thrust.

i've got Oystron & Okie Dokie on my GBA Activision Anthology so i've decided against those for at least the next few orders i make with AA.

and now that you mention it Gunfight looks like it would rock.

so many choices. so little money.

i should have said "platform", not action/adventure. :party:

(i know, it's a party hat and not a dunce hat, but it's a dunce party).

i've narrowed it down some more. removed Gunfight, Mental Kombat, Okie Dokie, Oystron and Star Fire

shooter: Conquest of Mars

arcade: Crazy Balloon

puzzle: Marble Craze

platform: Power Off!

other: Thrust, This Planet Sucks (budget game!), or Dark Mage (budget game!)

Edited by bomberpunk

shooter: Conquest of Mars

arcade: Crazy Balloon

puzzle: Marble Craze

platform: Power Off!

other: Thrust, This Planet Sucks (budget game!), or Dark Mage (budget game!)

What Thrust and Crazy Balloon and Marble Craze have in common, is that they require learning non-standard controls, that is unless you're already a trained Gravitar expert (regarding Thrust).

I don't think Crazy Balloon has non-standard controls - ?

The balloon moves in the direction you push the joystick; what could be more standard than that? ;)

EDIT: And I'd read some reviews of Power Off! before you buy, it is a game that doesn't appeal to everybody.

Edited by vdub_bobby

and once again this list shrinks.

i've played Gunfight and Seawolf extensively, and i flung my controller down the hallway during Crazy Balloon. that said, the "non-standard control" games are out the window for this purchase (except one)...

the final four!

Conquest of Mars

Gunfight

Seawolf

This Planet Sucks

i'll definitely be purchasing SWOOPS soon, i play the bouncy game at work all the time in z26. i think i broke 1000 once. the third game never worked for me. probably the emulator.

i'm leaning more towards Seawolf and less towards CoM. plus, since CoM is the most expensive of the four and TPS is the cheapest, i might get those two with my next order in a couple of months.

so...

Seawolf or Gunfight?

i would say single-player because i'm usually by myself due to working graves. that would mean Seawolf. but the AI in Gunfight is pretty damn tough and i love it.

i've been trying so hard to like Backfire, it's just too hard for me. i noticed that as you progress in Seawolf, there's some indestructable thing that deflects your shots back at you and that was awesome because it destroyed my last ship. i was not expecting that.

wow, i've spent the last few hours checking this thread and playing games.

still undecided here. i'm gonna go read a few more reviews...