IGNORED

Sony Innovation

jbanes

I know that this isn't very kind to Sony, and I apologize in advance if it starts a flamewar. (Though honestly, I would hope that the folks around here are mature enough to take it for what it is: humor.) You'll have to forgive me, but I just had to share this image:

908.jpg

Okay, so it's not very realistic. If it was Sony's, they'd have added about 500 more buttons, marked the +/- buttons as Play and Stop, and rambled on about how "inside this body is powa'ful and elegant system!" (Well, maybe that last one won't come true any more. They'd just show off how great it worked with RIIIIIIIDDDDGE RACER! :P) In any case, it cracked me up. I hope it brightens a few other days as well. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I know that this isn't very kind to Sony, and I apologize in advance if it starts a flamewar. (Though honestly, I would hope that the folks around here are mature enough to take it for what it is: humor.) You'll have to forgive me, but I just had to share this image:

908.jpg

Okay, so it's not very realistic. If it was Sony's, they'd have added about 500 more buttons, marked the +/- buttons as Play and Stop, and rambled on about how "inside this body is powa'ful and elegant system!" (Well, maybe that last one won't come true any more. They'd just show off how great it worked with RIIIIIIIDDDDGE RACER! :P) In any case, it cracked me up. I hope it brightens a few other days as well. :)

funny add...thank god the ps3 controller didnt end up like that!

I bet Nintendo looked at Philips and their 1992 CDi wireless controller for the Wii controller inspiration:

Bundled with the Philips CDi 210 and 220 systems:

22er9051.jpg

or the more used CDi wireless controller (bundled with the Philips CDi 210 (slide panel to reveal buttons):

22er9055.jpg

This one was bundled with the Philips CDi 180 system:

22er9050.jpg

Edited by thomasholzer

I bet Nintendo looked at Philips and their 1992 CDi wireless controller for the Wii controller inspiration:

I doubt it. Neither one of those controllers looks remotely (ha ha) like the Wii Controller. I think Nintendo just wanted to come up with a design that resembled a classic remote control, so they figured out what needed to go where and the rest followed naturally.

Probably the biggest influence on the Wii controller is the original NES pad. You'll note that the DPad and 1/2 buttons are designed to imitate the positions of the NES controller. (Though I recall the NES pad being a bit smaller. ;)) Once that was figured it, it wasn't hard to figure where a button for selecting items on screen should go. Lastly, the B button probably came about because someone realized that it needed a gun trigger. Again, a very obvious design.

As they say, "form follows function." Doubly so for the the Wii controller.

I assumed they looked at the TV remote.

Without fact checking I can say with certainty that:

The TV remote is used by human beings

The C-di remote was used by no one

The TV has performed at least somewhat adaquately on the market

The cdi performed... less than well

People who don't traditionally play games have used a TV remote

People who obsess over games have often not even seen a cdi

The invention of the TV remote pre-dates the invention of the cdi by at least several minutes, making both the Wiimote and the cdi...um... mote copies of the TV remote

The entire Nintendo company would have to be on crack to model a controller directly on a controller from what is quite possibly the worst console of all time.

None of the pictures you provide look like the Wiimote other than that they share a resembelance to TV remotes, although the bottm image looks more like a CD player remote and the middle one looks like a purposeful attack on good design.

Edited by Atarifever

I assumed they just went for a design that lent itself to motion-tracking control.

It was some sort of wand/handle/whatever or Power Glove II.

Given that they're STILL living down the Power Glove, even though they weren't the ones that made it, the wand was a better choice.

i might be in the wrong here.. but didnt they state MANY times back when it was called the Revolution, that the system was meant to have a controller that looked like a remote so it wasnt intimidating to non gamers , and that it was meant to sit near your other remotes.. so it was inviting and apart of your daily entertianment??....idk, someone recently brought up how the wiimote was designed after the fishing controller for the dc.. i mean common people, thats like saying the wiimote was designed after an atarijr pad because its verticle with a source of movement (joystick/dpad) on the tip. ... no... its just meant to look like a remote.

I assumed they looked at the TV remote.

Without fact checking I can say with certainty that:

The TV remote is used by human beings

The C-di remote was used by no one

The TV has performed at least somewhat adaquately on the market

The cdi performed... less than well

People who don't traditionally play games have used a TV remote

People who obsess over games have often not even seen a cdi

The invention of the TV remote pre-dates the invention of the cdi by at least several minutes, making both the Wiimote and the cdi...um... mote copies of the TV remote

The entire Nintendo company would have to be on crack to model a controller directly on a controller from what is quite possibly the worst console of all time.

None of the pictures you provide look like the Wiimote other than that they share a resembelance to TV remotes, although the bottm image looks more like a CD player remote and the middle one looks like a purposeful attack on good design.

Proves my point then.

what's original about the wii-mote? There have been motion sensing controllers in the past, even Microsoft had a version of the Sidewinder that was motion sensetive, Nintendo just pretty much perfected, i guess as much as you can, the motion sensing controller, but it's not original by any means.

Not motion sensing, but still similar, it's been done before. AtariFever already touched up on this.

DVC02205.JPG

They should've stayed with the Gamecube controller, that was a decent controller, made it wireless and motion sensing like the 6 axis. The one thing that turns me off to the wii-mote is the fact that it is too reliant on motion sensing and there's no option, at least that I'm aware of, to use either no motion capability or standard controllers for Wii games. Though I don't have a PS3 and have never played it with the 6 axis, it just makes more sense to me to have a controller that can be utilized for both instead of one or the other.

Edited by Atari5200

A)They should've stayed with the Gamecube controller, that was a decent controller

B)made it wireless and motion sensing like the 6 axis.

A) Yes. I wish they'd just kept the Gamecube and its controller forever, as I think it's one of the best consoles (possibly the best console) of all time

B) Why should two companies use the same terrible idea? The six axis is a stupid idea. Here's a list of things the Wii controller can reasonably emmulate because of its shape and design

A fishing rod

A football

A baseball bat

A sword/ Light sabre

A gun

A hammar

A golf club

A skate board

Handlebars

A pointer

A knife

A flashlight

A pool cue

Here's a list of things the six axis easily emulates

Handlebars

Worf's weapon on Star Trek

It's a lost cause from the start.

even i am going to cut the wii a break here, maybe ;P. I agree with almost all of your statements Atarifever, and motion sensing can be retarded at times but then again it's not at times. The main thing I liked about the "IDEA" of the six axis is that you don't HAVE to use it, unlike the Wii controller. It's a good idea, motion sensing, but I think the Wii-mote is just too much, and because of this, there's no turning back for Nintendo if for whatever reason in the future it would fail. Motion sensing may be the way of the future, but Nintendo did not ease into it, they went full balls in and I think it may end up biting them, wheras Sony, is kinda easing gamers into it.

what's original about the wii-mote? There have been motion sensing controllers in the past, even Microsoft had a version of the Sidewinder that was motion sensetive, Nintendo just pretty much perfected, i guess as much as you can, the motion sensing controller, but it's not original by any means.

Not motion sensing, but still similar, it's been done before. AtariFever already touched up on this.

DVC02205.JPG

They should've stayed with the Gamecube controller, that was a decent controller, made it wireless and motion sensing like the 6 axis. The one thing that turns me off to the wii-mote is the fact that it is too reliant on motion sensing and there's no option, at least that I'm aware of, to use either no motion capability or standard controllers for Wii games. Though I don't have a PS3 and have never played it with the 6 axis, it just makes more sense to me to have a controller that can be utilized for both instead of one or the other.

Is that supposed to even remotely look like a Wiimote? Are you just blind or stupid (or both)?

Yeesh. :roll:

it wouldn't be just me since i'm about the 3rd person to bring up the CD-I remote in this thread, and it doesn't take a genius to see that a remote like wireless controller for a game system has already been done, so maybe you need to ask yourself the question you posted.

it wouldn't be just me since i'm about the 3rd person to bring up the CD-I remote in this thread

There are three types of people in the world: Those who can count and those who can't.

it doesn't take a genius to see that a remote like wireless controller for a game system has already been done, so maybe you need to ask yourself the question you posted.

The only two people arguing that the remotes are the same are a self-professed CD-i fan who advertises the fact that he hates the Wii, and an odd fellow who blames Nintendo for the misdeeds of others. Neither position has a lot of credibility, especially since the CD-i and Wii Remote designs have so little in common.

Are they both based on remote controls? Yes. And that is where the similarities end*. Everything else is just wishful thinking.

To clarify my own position, I would not see anything odd if Nintendo had copied the CD-i controller. After all, it was supposed to be their system. (And it would have been if Phillips knew how to engineer an actual game machine.) But a simple comparison of the two controllers shows absolutely no similarities. They are not even close to the same lineage. The Wii controller actually has more in common with the NES controller than it does the CD-i remote.

Also, a key difference is that the Wii Remote is simply shaped like a remote. It is not actually a remote control (aka "clicker") in the traditional sense of the term. The CD-i remote was an actual remote control with gaming components tacked on. It controlled the playback of movies and music and used infrared pulses from the remote to control the TV. The Wii Remote does not control multimedia playback, lacks even the simplest buttons to do so, uses bluetooth communications, and reads steady infrared guide-points from the TV. Those aren't similarities in the slightest.

* Well, maybe with the exception that they both take batteries. I mean, that's got to be a conspiracy there, right?

thats not the point at all, the point at all is that everything Nintendo has done has been done before. There have been remote controllers before, there have been motion sensing controllers before. Nothing the Wii is new other than the implementation, which I actually commend Nintendo for doing such a good job of. The Wii-mote, takes the old technology and pretty much perfects it, i'm not going to argue that, what I am going to argue is that it's revolutionary, it's not. The idea is not, the design is not, it's all been done before, just not on the same scale as the Wii, that is the point, it's not that hard to figure out.

I could care less how people on a forum think about me and my opinions, its just a forum, i love to argue for the sake of arguing because it just proves my point on nintendo fanboys, when it comes to true fanboys, Nintendo are the worst followed closely by Sony, whenever someone makes a point or proves that something Nintendo did is not truely fantastic after all, all the fanboys go into defense mode. it's hilarious. And I don't see how this can be defended. It's absolutely fact, the wii-mote is not the first motion sensing controller, it's not some revolutionary new technology, it's old technology just better.

You'll make fun of sony, about the 6 axis, how hypocritical is that, yes they stole the idea, who hasn't stole an idea one point in time, hell, you could even argue that Nintendo stole the idea from Microsoft for motion sensing controller since the Sidewinder came out before the Wii.

http://www0.shopping.com/xPO-Microsoft-Sid...e-Pro-A17-00001

Microsoft had a motion sensing controller first...*GASP, SHOCK,HORROR*

Edited by Atari5200

thats not the point at all, the point at all is that everything Nintendo has done has been done before.

This is true. What's even more true is that nothing is really original. We all stand upon the shoulders of those who've come before us. :)

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which one can say, "Look! This is something new"?" --Solomon in Ecclesiastes

The Wii-mote, takes the old technology and pretty much perfects it, i'm not going to argue that, what I am going to argue is that it's revolutionary, it's not.

I have to disagree. It *is* revolutionary, but not because the technology is 100% original. It's revolutionary because it upsets the status quo of console design. The Wii Remote is the first time that a console has been successful at completely changing the way we play video games. (The closest thing prior to that was the NES's gamepad.) Products like dance pads, guitars, Eye Toys, and Xavix controllers have simply been pointing out that it's an idea who's time has come. Nintendo was the one to grab a hold of that market.

You'll make fun of sony, about the 6 axis, how hypocritical is that, yes they stole the idea, who hasn't stole an idea one point in time, hell, you could even argue that Nintendo stole the idea from Microsoft for motion sensing controller since the Sidewinder came out before the Wii.

Actually, I fully believe that Sony was previously working on the technology in their labs. After all, Nintendo had been experimenting with the tech for years prior to the Wii. It only makes sense that Sony would also hedge its bets. What's funny is that after Nintendo announced their motion-sensing technology, Sony slapped it into the sixaxis and shouted, "Me too, me too!" Then turned around and said, "Oh no, we meant to do that! The lack of it in the developer tools was... uhh... just a coincidence. Yeah, that's it. A coincidence."

I'm sorry, but that's funny. It's right up there with RIIIIDGE RACER, "I'm gonna beat you", "I heard da graphics wuz crazy!", "Based on actual Japanese battles.... so here we have this giant crab", and other fun snafus associated with the PS3 launch. Disliking Sony for their business practices is one thing (something which I freely admit to and even encourage others to join in the boycott), but the PS3's launch has been unexpected entertainment all of its own. :P

I could care less how people on a forum think about me and my opinions, its just a forum, i love to argue for the sake of arguing because it just proves my point on nintendo fanboys

I just can't understand that line of thinking. Why do you get off on this? You love to argue for the sake of arguing? What a twisted fuck you are. You are not making a contribution at all when you do this. It's a Wii forum dumbass. Of course people are going to be somewhat zealous and feel strongly about the Wii on a Wii-specific forum. Get a clue.