IGNORED

Sony Innovation

jbanes

every time i argue fanboys, god saves a kitten, so the more I argue, the more kittens are saved.

I don't know if you'd actually have saved many kittens if what you meant to say there was "every time I argue with fanboys, God saves a kitten", as most of the time you argue outside of the 5200 vs 7800 debate, you aren't actually arguing with fanboys, but think you are.

Now, if everytime you said someone was a fanboy God saved a single kitten cell, you'd still have saved at least several trillion kittens.

every time i argue fanboys, god saves a kitten, so the more I argue, the more kittens are saved.

Would you save a kitten? Well Atari5200 would. Everyone knows that kittens are evil and should be exterminated. Join me in boycotting Atari5200's posts so that all kittens will die, because if there are no more kittens there will be no more need for Atari5200 to pick fights with anyone in the Wii forum.

Seriously though, the sig. It's a joke, yeah? A biting satirical sabre slash at, erm, something or other. You're not serious, are you? Of course not, ha ha ha! That would be too funny!

Erm, you're not serious are you?

You're hilarious. You really need to take that shit on the road. Seriously. Between that tired "fanboy" act and the "boycott Wii because it's killing babies mommies" you would knock them dead.

I actually believe that Sony had the motion sensing stuff in the works for awhile as well, but I actually think they were forced to do something when they lost their legal battle over rumble. It provided a much needed excuse for the lack of rumble (much needed for some, not me, I don't care about rumble). It ended up looking like a copycat announcement, but I think in truth it was more about not losing a feature in their controller.

And I don't think Nintendo used the CDI remote as an inspiration, I think both Nintendo and the CDI folks took inspiration from the standard remote control as it was an interface people were already comfortable with. When you are designing an interface it's always important to start with what people know and are used to.

And is the Wiimote revolutionary? Yes. It has and will change the face of gaming. It has already brought tons of new gamers into the fold, and brought some old ones back in. You can't just sit back and say "since technology x was done before, this is not innovative" because it more than just that - it's the whole package.

Live didn't invent online gaming - but it certainly was revolutionary for console gaming.

The Gameboy didn't invent handheld gaming - but it was definately revolutionary.

The N64 analog stick wasn't the first analog controller ever - but it was revolutionary.

Innovation and revolutions are not just about who does something first, it's about who can take that idea and mold it into something great, something that others rush to emulate and most importantly something fun. Motion sensing may have been done before, but not as a console's standard controller, not with the level of sophistication as the Wiimote/nunchuck, and certainly not with the software to back up the technology.

And is the Wiimote revolutionary? Yes. It has and will change the face of gaming. It has already brought tons of new gamers into the fold, and brought some old ones back in.

Provide proof. Yes, proof I say. Real numbers, not Nintendo speak. I kinda shrug this kinda talk off because anyone who says it, just repeates what Nintendo baselessly claims. Show me numbers for this, ahem...."fact"

Last time around, there were around 80 million US game consoles sold. So we'll say there were 80 million gamers. Combined, the wii, and the 2 next gen systems have sold about 20 million consoles. So where are all these new gamers? How can you tell who is a veteran gamer or a n00b out of those figures?

Common sense says it's way too early for these "facts" but that isn't stopping Nintendo or some of you guys is it? But if it makes you guys feel better.....

I will also say that the wiimote changing the face of gaming is really, really, really, premature as well. Unless you mean changing some of it for the worst, then I agree. I mean c'mon, an FPS can't even be done right with it. Give it time you say? Well, if it's already changed the face of gaming, then it's had enough time no? I have yet to read any wii preview that does not make a major issue of the controls working/benefiting/improving a game. (Yes I read wii reviews even though I don't own the system or intend to. I am not narrowminded or loyal. I like to have knowledge). While some games do turn out fine, about the same amount do not. I would prefer the face of gaming to be changed in ways that improve, not retard. I would say give it some time and we'll see, but it's already changed gaming so I've been told.

Innovation and revolutions are not just about who does something first, it's about who can take that idea and mold it into something great, something that others rush to emulate and most importantly something fun. Motion sensing may have been done before, but not as a console's standard controller, not with the level of sophistication as the Wiimote/nunchuck, and certainly not with the software to back up the technology.

I agree with the first part. It doesn't matter who does it first, it's who is remembered for it. I could say the 360 was the first to have parental controls, the first to have a button to access the dash at any time and to power the system on or off from the controller, and the first to have a unified online service and that Nintendo and Sony just copied. Even though it's obvious the whole so and so copied is the primary reason this thread was started, I think it's a really silly think to try to make a point of. Sophisitcated? Maybe. Refined and definite? Still has a long way to go.

Last time around, there were around 80 million US game consoles sold. So we'll say there were 80 million gamers.

That's crazy wrong. I don't personally know one person with a PS2 who hasn't had to replace it at least once (I'd put the average at more like 4 times actually, which I guess speaks to the power of the gaming experience in it, as I wouldn't replace a console once every 20 years without being pissed). As well, most gamers I know own a GBA and Gamecube, a PS2 and Xbox, a PS2 and Gba, etc. Thus, 80 million systems might be 50 million gamers, or 20 million. However, for that matter I know a lot of people who always play their buddies systems. People who don't own systems, but a re always up for multiplayer. Thus, 80 million consoles could easily be 120 million gamers for example. As well, how many computer gamers are there, if you're only looking for console sales. For someone looking for hard stats, your measure of success is pretty poorly stated.

Last time around, there were around 80 million US game consoles sold. So we'll say there were 80 million gamers.

As Atarifever said, that number is incredibly wrong. In the US, there were 37.1 million PS2s sold, 12.8 million Gamecubes, and an unknown portion of 22 million XBoxes. Best case is ~70 million units. More realistically, you can knock about 20-50% off the XBox sales as international sales. (Microsoft won't say what the division was.) That means that you're looking at something akin to 60 - 67 million US consoles sold.

Combined, the wii, and the 2 next gen systems have sold about 20 million consoles.

I believe the issue was the Wii alone. The sales of the other consoles are unimportant to the point made.

According to Nintendo's sales figures, they sold 5.84 million Wiis in about 4.5 months. Now these consoles have been supply limited, so the exact ceiling on their sales is difficult to compute accurately. But if sales continue at the existing pace, Nintendo will sell 89.5 million units in 5.75 years*. That compares very favorably with the 115 million units that the PS2 sold in that same amount of time. Given the supply-limited situation, there is plenty of wiggle room for Nintendo to meet or exceed the PS2 sales.

So where are all these new gamers? How can you tell who is a veteran gamer or a n00b out of those figures?

I will grant you that there's not a lot of hard evidence yet. However, there are documented positive responses from non-gamers such as this AARP event, and nearly every Wii owner has a "I converted my non-gamer friend" story. (My own is that my cousin-in-law decided that he NEEDED a Wii after playing Wii Sports Golf. He's not a gamer, but he does like golf and bowling.) Anecdote is not the plural of proof, but enough anecdotes do make the beginnings of evidence. Feel free to start a "Did you convert a non-gamer?" thread and see how many responses you get.

Oh, and I guess I could be considered a non-gamer as I purchased none of the previous generation. I was unintereted in this generation as well until the details of the Wii hit the street. The game that convinced me? Wii Sports. :)

* The amount of time the PS2 has been on the market.

And is the Wiimote revolutionary? Yes. It has and will change the face of gaming. It has already brought tons of new gamers into the fold, and brought some old ones back in.

Provide proof. Yes, proof I say. Real numbers, not Nintendo speak. I kinda shrug this kinda talk off because anyone who says it, just repeates what Nintendo baselessly claims. Show me numbers for this, ahem...."fact"

Last time around, there were around 80 million US game consoles sold. So we'll say there were 80 million gamers. Combined, the wii, and the 2 next gen systems have sold about 20 million consoles. So where are all these new gamers? How can you tell who is a veteran gamer or a n00b out of those figures?

Common sense says it's way too early for these "facts" but that isn't stopping Nintendo or some of you guys is it? But if it makes you guys feel better.....

Like jbanes said - it's all anedotal at this point. However, my mother in law who hasn't touched a game since she tried the original NES Mario Bros plays our Wii frequently. I know several people just in my social circle that haven't gamed for a long time (like the 16bit era) who have either bought Wii's or are trying to buy Wii's. The number of people who say "after playing mine, my 50 year old father bought a Wii" is simply too high to be ignored. Word of mouth is amazing on the Wii, and it's not just within those core 14 - 29yr old male demographics that traditionally have been gamers.

I would also argue that the huge sales of titles like Brain Training, Cooking Mama, Nintendogs, and Big Brain Academy are pretty strong proof that many non-traditional gamers are being pulled towards the Wii/DS systems.

I will also say that the wiimote changing the face of gaming is really, really, really, premature as well. Unless you mean changing some of it for the worst, then I agree. I mean c'mon, an FPS can't even be done right with it. Give it time you say? Well, if it's already changed the face of gaming, then it's had enough time no? I have yet to read any wii preview that does not make a major issue of the controls working/benefiting/improving a game. (Yes I read wii reviews even though I don't own the system or intend to. I am not narrowminded or loyal. I like to have knowledge). While some games do turn out fine, about the same amount do not. I would prefer the face of gaming to be changed in ways that improve, not retard. I would say give it some time and we'll see, but it's already changed gaming so I've been told.

Bull. While they aren't groundbreaking as an overall experience, Red Steel and Call of Duty both prove the Wii control scheme is great for FPSs and hands on reports from Metroid indicate that it takes things even farther. The split design of the Wii is like the closest any console has come to a KB/Mouse combo. Of course Wii previews mention whether the controls work/benefit/improve a game - the Wii's selling point is a unique control scheme - that's like doing a PS3 preview without mentioning nice highdef graphics. You don't leave out the system's strong points in previews. So what in your mind improves games? Going the traditional route of nicer graphics/sound? I enjoyed Madden for the first time in years thanks to the intuitive Wii controls - it didn't look as nice as the 360/PS3 versions, but it certainly wasn't a retarded version - it was simply more fun.

That's crazy wrong. I don't personally know one person with a PS2 who hasn't had to replace it at least once (I'd put the average at more like 4 times actually, which I guess speaks to the power of the gaming experience in it, as I wouldn't replace a console once every 20 years without being pissed). As well, most gamers I know own a GBA and Gamecube, a PS2 and Xbox, a PS2 and Gba, etc. Thus, 80 million systems might be 50 million gamers, or 20 million. However, for that matter I know a lot of people who always play their buddies systems. People who don't own systems, but a re always up for multiplayer. Thus, 80 million consoles could easily be 120 million gamers for example. As well, how many computer gamers are there, if you're only looking for console sales. For someone looking for hard stats, your measure of success is pretty poorly stated.

That's because I pulled the number of 80 million from my ass actually. I took a roundabout figure of what I sorta remember console sales to be. I didn't really care about how many people play on those systems and all that kinda poop, just lookin for a starting point. So my number was just a random thing.

So where are all these new gamers? How can you tell who is a veteran gamer or a n00b out of those figures?

I will grant you that there's not a lot of hard evidence yet. However, there are documented positive responses from non-gamers such as this AARP event, and nearly every Wii owner has a "I converted my non-gamer friend" story. (My own is that my cousin-in-law decided that he NEEDED a Wii after playing Wii Sports Golf. He's not a gamer, but he does like golf and bowling.) Anecdote is not the plural of proof, but enough anecdotes do make the beginnings of evidence. Feel free to start a "Did you convert a non-gamer?" thread and see how many responses you get.

So check this out. My buddy has a 4 year old daughter. She always watched him play the 360. She really liked it and tried it out. She now plays games daily for a half an hour or so. She never played games before. So did the 360 introduce a new gamer? Hell yeah. See? Anyone can make that claim. I can think of all kinds of people I know, of all ages that started playing games within the last 5 years. Way before the wii. So I stand by my theory of it's all hype bullshit. I can have all kinds of my mom's friends sisters uncles cousin never played games, saw (insert any game here) and now plays games. Until Nintendo decided to make a division of gamer types, either you played or you didn't. Now, they want to look like they accomplish something by an occurance that happens anyways. And you preach it.

So check this out. My buddy has a 4 year old daughter. She always watched him play the 360. She really liked it and tried it out. She now plays games daily for a half an hour or so. She never played games before. So did the 360 introduce a new gamer? Hell yeah. See? Anyone can make that claim.

A fair point. So go make a thread in each forum and see how many responses you get. Collect the data on each system, do an analysis, and publish the results. This is more or less how preliminary studies are done, and it may reveal if there's evidence to support the idea of the Wii converting more individuals or if it's just hype.

(Of course, only Nintendo has shown up at AARP meetings so far. So that's at least one point in their favor. It would be interesting to see how the old folks responded to similar 360 & PS3 displays.)

Edited by jbanes

Bull. While they aren't groundbreaking as an overall experience, Red Steel and Call of Duty both prove the Wii control scheme is great for FPSs and hands on reports from Metroid indicate that it takes things even farther. The split design of the Wii is like the closest any console has come to a KB/Mouse combo. Of course Wii previews mention whether the controls work/benefit/improve a game - the Wii's selling point is a unique control scheme - that's like doing a PS3 preview without mentioning nice highdef graphics. You don't leave out the system's strong points in previews. So what in your mind improves games? Going the traditional route of nicer graphics/sound? I enjoyed Madden for the first time in years thanks to the intuitive Wii controls - it didn't look as nice as the 360/PS3 versions, but it certainly wasn't a retarded version - it was simply more fun.

If you mean great control scheme for FPS games that sucks ass as implimented, then I agree. But then again, the whole kb/mouse thing vs controller is really strange. I played Shadowrun pc and 360. Controls were excellent in both combinations and neither control will have an advantage during cross platform play. It could be the programming. In any case, a kb/mouse is not madatory for FPS games. I can think of tons that are great with a controller. Play COD on the 360 then the wii. The wii version controls like shit. It is inferior in every way and makes the game less enjoyable. I know, I tried. But if it's all you have then you'll learn to make do. So we'll just disagree because the wii controls for FPS games, as one example, are not even close to being as good as a kb/mouse OR controller no matter what console they are played on or a PC.

What in my mind improves games? Good question. I like challenges so I would say intelligent AI or online play. Playing against a human because of the unpredicability is the best opponent. So online is very important for the improvement of games. Excellent controls. For years we have suffered with bad controls, last gen the majority of the time on the PS2. That's where the wii has to prove itself. As it is, it cannot compare to conventional controls with cross platform releases. That is a major strike against it. Graphics for sure. There has never been a time I can't play a crappy looking game, but I still look foward to playing great looking games. The graphics should evolve and I should enjoy it. I like seeing something I have not seen before. I have seen crappy enough already. And please don't give me the fun is more important blah blah blah. You can have both one doesn't mean the sacrifice of the other. I have asked many times on here for someone to list 20 great looking games that sucked and never seen a list. Probably because it really isn't true. I also like game expansions. New content, additions, stuff like that.

Where was your concern for casual gamers 2 years ago? How come none of you were speaking out in favor of market expansion 2 years ago? Where were concerns about a new way to control games 2 years ago? None of you said anything until Nintendo made them issues. Now, you all act like it's the second coming and of the utmost importance.

So check this out. My buddy has a 4 year old daughter. She always watched him play the 360. She really liked it and tried it out. She now plays games daily for a half an hour or so. She never played games before. So did the 360 introduce a new gamer? Hell yeah. See? Anyone can make that claim.

A fair point. So go make a thread in each forum and see how many responses you get. Collect the data on each system, do an analysis, and publish the results. This is more or less how preliminary studies are done, and it may reveal if there's evidence to support the idea of the Wii converting more individuals or if it's just hype.

(Of course, only Nintendo has shown up at AARP meetings so far. So that's at least one point in their favor. It would be interesting to see how the old folks responded to similar 360 & PS3 displays.)

Based on what games? Those AARP folks, did they go apeshit over Zelda? COD? Red Steel? Or can I purposely skew the games to favor what I want the results to be?

Based on what games? Those AARP folks, did they go apeshit over Zelda? COD? Red Steel?

You could try reading TFA. :)

Or can I purposely skew the games to favor what I want the results to be?

Well, that wouldn't make for a very good study, now would it? Generally speaking, you'd be looking for any and all feedback. Once collected, you'd catagorize that feedback as best as possible based on the data given. e.g. Which games showed up the most? Do games with E ESRB ratings appear in the anecdotes more than T or M games? What are the age groups reported in these anecdotes? Young children, senior citizens, middle-aged non-gamers, teenagers?

Pretty much all you need to do is collect any and all data and then look for patterns. Since you'll have data in hand, you'll have actual numbers to back up your findings. Obviously, the audience will skew your results. (i.e. AtariAge is a specific subset of the population that's interested in getting others interested in video games.) However, that doesn't mean that interesting conclusions can't be drawn from this crowd. Especially since the data you're interested in involves a semi-random sampling of third parties.

(Yes, any statistics professor would have a heart attack at this. It would still be fun to know. ;))

Based on what games? Those AARP folks, did they go apeshit over Zelda? COD? Red Steel?

You could try reading TFA. :)

Or can I purposely skew the games to favor what I want the results to be?

Well, that wouldn't make for a very good study, now would it? Generally speaking, you'd be looking for any and all feedback. Once collected, you'd catagorize that feedback as best as possible based on the data given. e.g. Which games showed up the most? Do games with E ESRB ratings appear in the anecdotes more than T or M games? What are the age groups reported in these anecdotes? Young children, senior citizens, middle-aged non-gamers, teenagers?

Pretty much all you need to do is collect any and all data and then look for patterns. Since you'll have data in hand, you'll have actual numbers to back up your findings. Obviously, the audience will skew your results. (i.e. AtariAge is a specific subset of the population that's interested in getting others interested in video games.) However, that doesn't mean that interesting conclusions can't be drawn from this crowd. Especially since the data you're interested in involves a semi-random sampling of third parties.

(Yes, any statistics professor would have a heart attack at this. It would still be fun to know. ;))

See, now this would be way too much work. :)

I just figured, using an example like the AARP thing, I could just show 1 game that I know could make some retirees interested, then make sure everyone knows that these people like it, and then kinda stretch the reality of it into something along the lines of "These elders will buy one".

Your way is the way I would honestly do it. It's nice to see you do understand what I was getting at. Truth is, I don't give a poop either way but I suppose after reading all of these so called facts about the wii, I just find it so silly that so early in the game, so many are jumping to conclusions. It's not just here on forums, but news sites and things like that. I really can't see why any player would care about casual gamers or market expansion. I have enough trouble deciding what I am going to play and don't even think about what someone else will play or even care. Is there a reason I should?

well, i'm suprised nobody got where my comment about the kitten came from. I guess not, anybody into the Homebrew Dreamcast scene would have known. Google "god kills a kitten" there's a million of them, but the Dreamcast one is "everytime you buy from Sony, God kills a kitten" which i believe was posted on DcEmulation.com

and yes this is funny stuff and good fun for me. Watching all these people get all bent out of shape when people, not just me, have opinions that may not favor Nintendo. It's the same with the Sony fanboys too, but just not as bad. Not to familiar with Microsoft fanboys.

But my main thing is, if your going to go all super fanboy on everyone, prepare to face some opposition. The FACT still remains, the Sidewinder was released to PC gamers well before the Wii-mote and Six axis, so Nintendo stole the idea from Microsoft ok? end of story, it's Nintendo innovation or lack thereof.

and yes this is funny stuff and good fun for me. Watching all these people get all bent out of shape when people, not just me, have opinions that may not favor Nintendo. It's the same with the Sony fanboys too, but just not as bad. Not to familiar with Microsoft fanboys.

This is the part I don't get. It really must be a different mentality or personality trait that is just so foreign to me that I just can't comprehend it. It must be like people that get their jollies pulling wings off flys or bullying people. They need to feel superior or better than somebody. There is no "winning" against these types, and they thrive off any responses. They WANT the pot to keep stirring so they can have their "fun".

You can throw the term "fanboy" around all you want, but it is just another way to jab at people. I'm not a fanboy, as you are using the term. I have and enjoy the Wii so I come to a dedicated Wii sub-forum to discuss it. Not to get my kicks getting people bent out of shape. I also enjoy and have many other systems. Before I got married and had kids, I proudly set up my many systems and played them all. Now I have to be more selective and get the most out of what I have and have the space for. At the moment, that happens to be the Wii (which I'm grateful for the Virtual Console so I can easily play many of the games that I ironically have boxed up in storage). I also have a MAME cabinet that loaded with console emulators so I can get my quick fix on the classics. I really would like to have an xbox 360, no question about it. I have enjoyed the chances I have had to play the PS3 over at MegaManFan's house. I'm a gamer, and have been since the days back in the early 80's. I have pretty much every Atari system, short of the Jag/Lynx era (including a 2-port and 4-port 5200). If I was to be called a "fanboy", it would have to be a fanboy for all systems (well, I did get rid of the boxed Channel F and dozen games I had).

I can't believe I let myself get riled up again by yet another jerk just trying to get his kicks. You got me. Good for you.

I really can't see why any player would care about casual gamers or market expansion. I have enough trouble deciding what I am going to play and don't even think about what someone else will play or even care. Is there a reason I should?

I'm surprised. Isn't it isn't obvious? The Wii users are the casual gamers that Nintendo is targeting. My story of not playing a modern console until the Wii came out is not unique. We care because we are those people. So anything Nintendo does to target the casual market is a win for much of the Wii market. ;)

Pretty much all you need to do is collect any and all data and then look for patterns.

No worries. The Regginator just rode in on a white horse to save the day. :P

Here in the US I can share some detailed market information on what is happening and what we believe are the early signs of a significant market change. In less than a year and a half, there's been huge movement in the consumer make-up of consumers buy Nintendo DS. For example, the number of female purchases for the hardware system is up 42 percent. The number of people purchasing Nintendo DS over the age of 30 is up 127 percent. If you narrow that band down to consumers over 35, the increase jumps to 212 percent. The reason for this widening appeal is no secret -- we've been talking about it for quite some time. It draws directly from the new type of software that's being introduced to these new consumers. Here's an example. We look at the percent of female purchasers for a typical DS game like Mario Kart. You can see here that female purchasers represent only about 12 percent, but look how these other games perform. Nintendogs is double that percentage. Brain Age: Big Brain Academy is also significantly representing purchasers that are female. Let's look at another set of bars -- bars that represent consumers age 25 and up. Here both Kart and Nintendogs range from a third to 40 percent of all purchases. The Brain games are over half. I don't think there has ever been software in this industry driving this type of profile.

Here in the US, owners are telling us what's going on inside their household. It's not surprising that 95 percent of males age six to 24 are playing Wii on a regular basis -- that's expected. But look what's happening to other people within the household. So this first column looks at males between the age of 25 and 49. 95 percent are reporting that they've tried Wii and then there's the percent reporting that they're playing on a regular basis, which is just over 60 percent. Now let's add women to that same age band. Women 25 to 49. Almost a third are regular users. Three quarters say that they've at least tried the system. What about men over 50? 16 percent are saying that they're playing regularly. Men over 50. Females over 50. Now this is amazing. 10 percent are saying that they're regular users of the Wii. I have to believe that this is an industry first.

A few more Wii tidbits. We've researched something called a Net Promoter index. The concept is really simple. It's looking at the percentage of users for a particular system that say that they recommend the system to their friends and family and you subtract from that the percent of those consumers who say that they wouldn't to get a Net score. On that, Wii stands alone with a Net Promoter score of 85 percent. The next closest competitor is Nintendo DS at 65 percent. Now, because I'm a nice guy and all you know how nice I am, I'm not going to show the competitive numbers, but to suffice it to say nobody comes close -- no one scores over 50 percent in this measure and some are down in the teens.

Those are just the relevant bits. I highly recommend that you read the entire story. Reggie's numbers are fascinating.

I really can't see why any player would care about casual gamers or market expansion. I have enough trouble deciding what I am going to play and don't even think about what someone else will play or even care. Is there a reason I should?

I'm surprised. Isn't it isn't obvious? The Wii users are the casual gamers that Nintendo is targeting. My story of not playing a modern console until the Wii came out is not unique. We care because we are those people. So anything Nintendo does to target the casual market is a win for much of the Wii market. ;)

Pretty much all you need to do is collect any and all data and then look for patterns.

No worries. The Regginator just rode in on a white horse to save the day. :P

Here in the US I can share some detailed market information on what is happening and what we believe are the early signs of a significant market change. In less than a year and a half, there's been huge movement in the consumer make-up of consumers buy Nintendo DS. For example, the number of female purchases for the hardware system is up 42 percent. The number of people purchasing Nintendo DS over the age of 30 is up 127 percent. If you narrow that band down to consumers over 35, the increase jumps to 212 percent. The reason for this widening appeal is no secret -- we've been talking about it for quite some time. It draws directly from the new type of software that's being introduced to these new consumers. Here's an example. We look at the percent of female purchasers for a typical DS game like Mario Kart. You can see here that female purchasers represent only about 12 percent, but look how these other games perform. Nintendogs is double that percentage. Brain Age: Big Brain Academy is also significantly representing purchasers that are female. Let's look at another set of bars -- bars that represent consumers age 25 and up. Here both Kart and Nintendogs range from a third to 40 percent of all purchases. The Brain games are over half. I don't think there has ever been software in this industry driving this type of profile.

Here in the US, owners are telling us what's going on inside their household. It's not surprising that 95 percent of males age six to 24 are playing Wii on a regular basis -- that's expected. But look what's happening to other people within the household. So this first column looks at males between the age of 25 and 49. 95 percent are reporting that they've tried Wii and then there's the percent reporting that they're playing on a regular basis, which is just over 60 percent. Now let's add women to that same age band. Women 25 to 49. Almost a third are regular users. Three quarters say that they've at least tried the system. What about men over 50? 16 percent are saying that they're playing regularly. Men over 50. Females over 50. Now this is amazing. 10 percent are saying that they're regular users of the Wii. I have to believe that this is an industry first.

A few more Wii tidbits. We've researched something called a Net Promoter index. The concept is really simple. It's looking at the percentage of users for a particular system that say that they recommend the system to their friends and family and you subtract from that the percent of those consumers who say that they wouldn't to get a Net score. On that, Wii stands alone with a Net Promoter score of 85 percent. The next closest competitor is Nintendo DS at 65 percent. Now, because I'm a nice guy and all you know how nice I am, I'm not going to show the competitive numbers, but to suffice it to say nobody comes close -- no one scores over 50 percent in this measure and some are down in the teens.

Those are just the relevant bits. I highly recommend that you read the entire story. Reggie's numbers are fascinating.

You played games before. I usually only play modern games, and that doesn't mean because I don't play as many classics, that I am not a gamer. You aren't a casual gamer or a new gamer. You have a wii and buy what's available on it because it is your system of choice. Anyways, good article. Still says nothing at all about what the wii HAS accomplished, only speculation.

What we needed to do was to make the message to the core and reach non-gamers, lapsed gamers, people who haven't played games either never or certainly in a very long time. And we did that.When it happened, we became a viral and cultural phenomenon all to itself, driving all types of activity in the online real as well as in the real world. So today by a number of different measures we have a comfortable lead in terms of purchase intent. But is what is more compelling is what's going on inside the households that have a Wii. There's no question that consumers are picking up a controller that have never played videogames before and they're enjoying it and having a phenomenal times.

I question it all the time. Consumers is the wrong word. People would work better. All those AARP people probably aren't glued to ebay to find a wii, or having the community van running out to Gamestop. In case you haven't noticed, I will not change my mind about these claims. It's bullshit. Do you believe MS is having less than 5% failure rate on the 360? It's bullshit too.

"My balls are bigger than yours" Ok, now spread the word because I said it :) I don't doubt the DS and it's growth. For some odd reason, people have always liked the Gameboy line and handhelds. I can't get into it but it could be because, well who knows, but it doesn't appeal to me. The DS is really great though for a handheld and has a killer library of titles. I would think a majority of it's success is because it has so much for everyone, any age, any skill, and any interest. The wii, is really just too basic to provide that type of depth as it is now. It has too many shortcomings that can't be changed in it's current form. For what it is, it's fine I guess.

For some odd reason, people have always liked the Gameboy line and handhelds. I can't get into it but it could be because, well who knows, but it doesn't appeal to me.

Three reasons:

1) Handheld gaming generally, and the Gameboy line particularly, is the last home of 2D gaming, and I believe its success (along with the frequent success of 2D on handhelds generally) proves that despite what crazy investors think, 2D is still a huge market that people are just crying out for when given a chance.

2) Niontendo's handhelds are always good on battery life (which is hugely important to portables)

3) Money. The Nintendo handhelds are always cheap. If you buy a console to hook to your big screen TV, you don't mind paying $400. When you buy something that has, at maximum, a screen that can still be considered very tiny, that has little tiny games, in little tiny cases, and you play it looking for all the world like a 6 year old with an etch a sketch, there's quickly an upper limit to what you'll spend. Nintendo always finds the upper limit sweet spot price for handhelds.