IGNORED

Does multicart or flash cart for the LYNX exist?

lucifershalo

Yes. Do you want the schematics and gerbers?

I'd like them. Uh, what's a gerber though? :?:

A gerber is a black and white layer for the board manufacturer so he can see where to etch away the copper. You also need a drill file to tell where you want holes in the PCB. I also have a layer for gold plating the edge connectors and a green solder mask for making soldering easier.

The idea is that you ship all these files to a PCB plant, pay lots of money and get lots of bare boards back.

After this you shop for components, solder them on board, wonder why it does not work, remove chips and turn them around cursing yourself why you did not assemble them correctly in the first place, plug it in a Lynx, transfer a game on the cart and play it :cool:

--

Karri

Gerbers sent via PM. Enjoy!

Edited by karri

zrtncnx ? Lol. You had to call it the holy grail of lynx :ponder: :)

(too easy with your mention )

@kerry:

Cyrnfr pna v erdhrfg lbh sbe lbhe synfu pneg fpurzngvpf ol CZ gbb? V qba'g xabj, rira vs v jbhyq unir gur gvzr gb ohvyg vg, orgjrra zl unaquryqf ercnvef naq rknzf, ohg creuncf sbe gur ubyyvqnlf... ;-)

Edited by frenchcat

zrtncnx ? Lol. You had to call it the holy grail of lynx :ponder: :)

(too easy with your mention )

Gur Ubyl Tenvy bs Ylak? Ab jnl!

Gur Oynpx Crney fhvgf n cvengr orggre. :ahoy:

I will send you a PM shortly.

--

Karri

planning something for the LYNX

No, not really, I just like reading tech stuff and can't find much on the Lynx.

(I've got my plate full at the moment with the bitch I call the VB FLASH cart :D )

I'm in the market for a Lynx. It's something I never really paid much attention too back in the day, but recently I'm getting a real craving to own one.

Where is a good Lynx site with cart pinouts etc ?

Thanks

I uploaded a blank Lynx PCB to the Eagle library. You can use the freeware version of Eagle for designing the cart. It has gold-plated contacts on the edge connector and proper signal names on all pins. The cart also has two small lines close to the top of it. It shows how deep it will go on a Lynx I. On the area between the edge connector and the two small lines you can only use very low SMD chips. Otherwise the cart won't fit a Lynx I. You also need to glue a piece of plastic on the component side to make the cart thick enough to fit the Lynx connector.

post-2099-1178769471_thumb.jpg

post-2099-1178769821_thumb.jpg

I have made around 100 carts with this template during the last 6 years.

--

Karri

Edited by karri

I hope the previous post inspires people to do something nice for the Lynx.

We tried, we are trying and will continue to try to make something nice :)

And I hope too that more people will come to develop new games for the Lynx.

Btw, your flashcard :lust: is really nice, and a great help for developpers, thanks you again

Karri, your cart looks good :thumbsup:

I bet that FLASH chip is a bit tricky to solder in by hand ?

BTW I don't see anything on-board for programming the chip, I assume you're doing it externally and with the serial port ?

I have tried several techniques and the best one is to cover the pins on the board with flux and then solder a layer tin on the pins on board.

After that put lots of flux on the pins of the flash chip and dip the pins in molted tin.

Then you place the flash chip in place, Heat up opposite corners. And finally heat up all the pins with a big tip.

This works much better than a teflon frying pan and paste.

The chip is programmed with the Lynx!

I have modded a Lynx by connecting a wire between two pins on the cart connector. This modified Lynx does not sense when a cart is removed or inserted.

Then I insert S.I.M.I.S. or Championship Rally and start up the Lynx. These softwares contain a Lynx downloader :)

On the title screen I remove the cart and insert the flash cart.

Then I just download my Lynx flash burning software from a PC with a ComLynx cable and let the Lynx do all the burning job. So there is no external programming device just a Lynx + one small piece of wire.

On the first block I usually program a small test utility with a downloader included. Once this piece is in place you can use the cart on unmodded Lynxes also.

--

Karri

Edited by karri

I have tried several techniques and the best one is to cover the pins on the board with flux and then solder a layer tin on the pins on board.

I position the chip by heating 4 pins at each corner, the PCB has enough solder on the pads to hold it without applying extra. I then 'flood' all the pins with solder, after which I remove the excess with braid. As a finishing touch I use a liberal amount flux remover spray to rinse the chip pads.

Cool ! - that certainly simplifies the design of the cart, especially when there's not a lot of space available on the PCB footprint.

What sort of download speeds do you get ?

I position the chip by heating 4 pins at each corner, the PCB has enough solder on the pads to hold it without applying extra. I then 'flood' all the pins with solder, after which I remove the excess with braid. As a finishing touch I use a liberal amount flux remover spray to rinse the chip pads.

I have used that too. But the problem is that the tin does not stick to the legs very well. My chips have been on the shelf too long. And the only braid good enough for this is Solderwick which is hard to get and expensive.

Cool ! - that certainly simplifies the design of the cart, especially when there's not a lot of space available on the PCB footprint.

What sort of download speeds do you get ?

That's a problem. I took the easy route and just created a small burner with a 16 k payload. So I download the burner with payload, wait for 5 seconds and repeat the process with the next burner+payload. Its stupid really.

The good thing is that it requires nothing from the Lynx part. Just a downloader to get the burner + payload in RAM. And of course the burner itself contains a downloader to get everything automated.

The loader works only at 9600 bauds. This will be changed soon to 62500 bauds. And perhaps I fix the protocol also to allow streaming the data during programming.

--

Karri

Edited by karri