IGNORED

My Lynx Froze

atari2600land

I was playing Qix and the game froze. I turned it off and inspected it, and didn't find anything wrong. I turned it back on again and it was working fine. Just thought it was weird and asking has this ever happened to anyone else.

Edited by atari2600land

Did you press some strange key combinations before it happend?

I don't think so. Why?

It might be because if when the game was tested, it was tested for normal use, and they might not have tested with all possible key combinations. There might also be just enough dust on the reader pins that it didn't found the data it suspected to find.

It also makes a big difference if the freezing unit is a Lynx I or a Lynx II.

When we were testing Championship Rally it often froze on a Lynx I. Carl and Lucien were not happy with this and we created some test code to find out why this happens. It appears that the hardware in the Lynx I is very sensitive to things happening close to screen interrupts. So some games have a risk of freezing on a Lynx I. I have not seen this happen on a Lynx II.

The retail version of Championship Rally does not freeze on any Lynx. We fixed it. But I don't know about other titles.

--

Karri