IGNORED

Gameboy Color - must have titles

One more for the road -

Brainboy. Not a game at all, it's a cheat device for Pokemon. But it's one of it's hidden features that turns it into a must buy for any gameboy collector - the ability to give two separate palettes to old gameboy games - one for sprites and one for backgrounds.

It's not quite full color, but it's a step beyond Super Gameboy - here's a mock-up done by emulator...

post-12969-1180411373_thumb.jpg

Qix is a classic Game boy cart that shows awesome color on the Color Game Boy.

I've never tried my classic Qix cart in there, and that's one of my favorite handheld games ever. How's Dr. Mario look on the color? I'd say I spent 50% of my gameboy time on Dr. Mario and Qix and the other 50% on Link's Awakening and Metroid 2. The rest of the library might as well not have existed, because those 4 games were so good (although I've since discovered the awesome Kid Dracula).

Dr Mario has almost no color at all, aside from the bluish background. :( I have a copy and it's a lot of fun, but the color just doesn't stand out like Qix and Solar Striker do.

Tetris 1 and 2 have some noticeable colors also. The pieces are different colors, and the backgrounds are colored in Tetris 2. In Solar Striker, the background is actually black like it should be for fighting in space, and there is sparse color in the enemies.

Megaman Xtreme 2 (think Megaman X converted to Megaman NES)

Pocket Bomberman (a completely different B'man approach. a sidescrolling platformer!)

Qix Adventure (pokemon-type game set to QIX, pretty rare)

Spy Vs Spy (more variety than the NES version, if i remember correctly)

Toki Tori (platform/puzzler starring a cute fat baby chicken on a quest to save his family. superb.)

Zelda: LA DX (my favorite game in the series)

Edited by bomberpunk

Thanks everyone, certainly a SMB Deluxe will be one purchase.

I'm tempted by the R-Type DX too but how do the controls

on the GBC hold up when the action hots up?

For the Zelda's - these still go for good money on Ebay,

so I'll hold off on that for now. Also I never really got

grasped by the NES Zelda games , prefering FF3j.

Metal Gear keeps popping up and would be worth a look.

Finally, is the Mario Golf similar to the NES's Open Tournament?

Regards,

Mark

Mario Golf is ...imagine if Open Tournament made love to Final Fantasy, and you'll have the right idea, even it'll take a while to clear the disturbing visuals out of your head. I'm not a golf player, but every review I've read that mentions both is a fan of each one.

. Also I never really got

grasped by the NES Zelda games

Me neither.

The portable Zeldas use the SNES style of gameplay. Also: Link's Awakening has a story worthy of Final Fantasy.

Or, more to the point, Kingdom Hearts.

Only reason I didn't add to the voices telling you to get it was because I figured there were enough votes in it for you to get the message.