IGNORED

Regret getting the Wii?

tantone56

I was faced with the option this holiday season of getting a Wii, or an Xbox 360. Due to all of the hype I was swayed into getting a wii. Well, six months later I can honestly say that I am starting to regret my decision a little. I have yet to see any solid shooters, or mature themed games that arent simply ports from other consoles with Wii controller moves added on. I am aware that the sysytem is becoming known as non gamer friendly, but is that comming at the cost of being hardcore gamer unfriendly? Anyone else starting to have second thoughts about getting the Wii?

The news this week about Activision saying they want to produce games on the Wii that will be better than Nintendo's own first party titles is a sure sign that there will be some great games for the Wii (that won't be Nintendo made).

I admit I have only had my system for a month and a couple weeks but so far I am having a blast! One of the biggest surprises is the Photo Channel! We would have family and friends over and we would slip a memory card in and watch the latest slide shows on the big screen!

I've only played Super Paper Mario, Rayman and Wii Sports and they've all kept me busy so far... Wii Play is next as I needed a second remote.

I don't regret the purchase, although I rarely use the Wii it can be great fun when people come over.

Wii Sports is a natural even for folks who don't like video games.

I definately wouldn't get the Wii if that was the only console I was going to purchase tho.

im having a blast with it...though i do know what you feel like with the not having anything to play so leaving it cold for a while. i found that forcing myself to play some games that i have not really wanted to get into, or just plain getting new ones helps a bunch. i now have 12 wii games, and considering i only have 26 gc games... that says something. especially when you consider that was over a four year period that i had a gc and was collecting for it. i think by the time this system is getting phased out, ill probably have almost as many games as my saturn, which says a lot. i dont know what games you have but try picking up some old ones that maybe you just didnt really want to bite into. an example of that was red steel and rayman for me... both of which i honestly didnt want to play much at first. but it may be worthwhile to revisit some of the neglected games. also, trying to beat the games is time consuming, like what i did with rayman and excitetruck.

just some advice.

if you want "mature" games, id check out the new resident evil games (both of them ) coming soon, as well as godfather and manhunt 2. im personally not very much into any of those games (excpet maybe the one House of the Dead type RE game), so i dont know how much help i can do there, but a lot of AA members have raved about Godfather, and i know IGN is tooting Manhunt 2 quite a bit (as is joystiq). dont forget about metroid prime 3 , which is coming out soon. that should be the definative fps of the year. also, theres another WW2 fps coming out about the same time, but the title has quite honestly drifted from my memory.

Hope that helped.

EDIT: dont forget about scarface... a game that might fit your style of gaming.

Edited by AtariJr

I only moderately regret that i had my brother pick one up for me after he got his. Now i'm slowly paying him back for a machine i never really play, when i could've gotten a whole stack of 360 games for that money. I mean, i'm sure having one will pay off eventually, i just don't feel that it really has yet.

The Wii is is a pretty dedicated use only machine here - i.e. Wii sports when there's company over. Otherwise it collects dust. TP was a great game, but it owes nothing to the Wii.

If the Wii was my only 'next gen' console - I'd sorely regret it. Luckily having all 3 let's me play the games I want to play instead of those I'd have to play :)

You bought the wrong console, I'm afraid. You won't see many 'mature' games (if mature just means gunning things down) on the Wii. The old genres don't apply here. That's the trick really, for existing gamers, the challenge is to break out of the strictly defined genres of the last 20 years and try something new. Non gamers don't have these limitations, so they tend to 'get' the Wii more quickly.

Rent some titles, things you wouldn't normally play. Maybe you'll be surprised :)

Personally, I'd recommend Excite Truck if you want to grin like an idiot.

I don't regret the Wii. It makes a nice compliment console to my Xbox 360. If Wii was my only console I'd be upset. It's just not geared towards the hardcore gamer 1st. Also strikes against it are last gen graphics, a current total lack of online play and most of the games aren't very complex.

I have two kids and they love it, I don't regret my purchase one bit. I play too but I guess I'm not a "hardcore gamer" because with the Wii, my DS and my PS2, I'm pretty much a happy camper. I guess if I only had a Wii, that could be a problem. My daughter plays Donkey Kong Country all the time and we just bought DKC2 from the virtual console. And as lame as everyone thinks the vote channel is, my kids are crazy about it.

:ponder:

No, my kids are not retarded.

j/k, I love them to death!

hopefully you are right and it is just a matter of a software drought. I know that nintendo really ventured into the more violent games like Sony, or microsoft have, but I hope they can pull together something good soon. Maybe if I also got a 360 it would make me not be to judgemental on my wii. I guess it's becuase my ps2 is broke, and the wii remains my prime source of video game entertainment.

I don't regret the getting the Wii at all. Even though it is (at the moment) my only "next" generation console. On the other hand, the "next" generation (which I suppose is now the current generation) still have a few more years to run, so I'm not in a really huge hurry on getting one of the other consoles. I just can't afford a new console at the moment, nor do I have the room for one right now. So I'm just enjoying the Wii for right now, and milking every ounce of gaming goodness out of last generation's consoles too while I'm at it.

But the Wii does have some good stuff going for it. Zelda, Red Steel, and Metal Slug Anthology. I would be a user of the Virtual Console if it weren't for the dialup. On the other hand, I have a ton of Xbox, PS2, and GameCube games that are left on the shelves to keep me busy still while I'm waiting for more Wii stuff to come down the pipe. :P

I know that nintendo really ventured into the more violent games like Sony, or microsoft have, but I hope they can pull together something good soon.

Dude, I hope that just read badly.

Not regret, but am finding there are certain things I don't like as well as I thought I would.

The controls are interesting for some games, but I actually find myself wishing for a regular controller on others.

Like other folks, I'm awaiting more "killer titles".

The fact that the graphics are "last generation" isn't bugging me as much as the fact that the GameCube games I have often have better graphics than the Wii games I have. The Wii *is* supposed to be more powerful, but I've yet to see anything that really couldn't be done on the GameCube and most Wii games don't look as hot as Resident Evil 4 and Zelda Twilight Princess did on the Cube.

In fairness though, I haven't had tons of time to play with the Wii or its games in general. Life's been busy.

oh yea, project hammer and disaster day of crisis may be up your alley. they come out by the end of the year. i think by christmas time you should have a least 5 new games youll want.

anywho, i agree , while nintendo is doing more "hardcore" gamer games, it is not the company to invest in if that is what you want. none the less, its the only next gen console i have, and i rarely find myself wishing for more. of course the lack of funds is helping that feeling ;). anywho, it seems to ballance quite well with my ps2, and i happily bounce between the two as they compliment eachother quite well. id suggest getting a replacement ps2 before investing in a 360 or ps3, as its still a lot of fun, cheaper, and still has many games coming out for it... most of which are a better use of your money than the games coming out for its successor (ie: god of war 2 came out on ps2, not ps3, etc...)

rockman said something that actually concerns me as well... i simply have no more space. the only reason i coudl fit my new ps2 slim and my wii in my cabinet were simply because they are tall and skinny and are squished in slightly uncomfortable places. hell, i cant even have my atari in my gaming cabinet .. its on the game shelf unplugged. and considering how big the new consoles are its a bit of an issue.... though i guess the 360 could go horizontally ontop of the old xbox.

Edited by AtariJr

Don't regret mine at all. Yes, we are in a bit of a slump software wise - but the DS was even worse at this point in its lifespan and it's becoming my favorite system of all time very quickly. The back catalog of Cube stuff is keeping me busy in the mean time - it's a much deeper back catalog than people seem to want to give it credit for. I've bought about a dozen Cube games and there is a huge variety just in those 12 or so.

I know that nintendo really ventured into the more violent games like Sony, or microsoft have, but I hope they can pull together something good soon.

lol. What I meant was thyy have not really produced any violent games in the past, but I hope that they try to shed their kid oriented image and make something for the adults to enjoy.

lol. What I meant was thyy have not really produced any violent games in the past, but I hope that they try to shed their kid oriented image and make something for the adults to enjoy.

But...I'm an adult and I'm not really into violent games. I think one of the great misconceptions is that violence makes a game more mature. While I love them when they are well done (Killer 7, Resident Evil) I'd prefer a well crafted story like Hotel Dusk or the tense moments of Trauma Center or the humor of Phoenix Wright or the Paper Mario series. Nintendo does make Metroid and made Eternal Darkness too...

But...I'm an adult and I'm not really into violent games. I think one of the great misconceptions is that violence makes a game more mature. While I love them when they are well done (Killer 7, Resident Evil) I'd prefer a well crafted story like Hotel Dusk or the tense moments of Trauma Center or the humor of Phoenix Wright or the Paper Mario series. Nintendo does make Metroid and made Eternal Darkness too...

yea i agree.. im not into violent games. i mean, nfs carbon is pushing it just with the unnecessary gangster crap. i think, like he stated, a game like paper mario where theres a lot of hidden adult humor is fun enough for me. i think if a game is fun, it doesnt matter if its rated M or not, its made for adults as well. as an example, a lot of AA members are excited about Nights.. he kills enemies by holding thier hands and doing a barrel roll.. not very violent, but its still a heck of a lot of fun.

nintendo is at least making Hammer and disaster day of crisis which are more "adult" oriented. also No more heroes is coming out soon as well, from the creator of killer 7.

I'm kind of regretting it. I have never bought a system this early before (I waited over a year on the DS and a couple on the Cube for example) and I've never experienced this boring waiting period before. I wish that I'd gotten a 360 instead for right now, as it already HAS a library of games. I'm not regretting it based on the games I have played, which are a lot of fun, and by this time next year I'm sure I'll be happy with the purchase, but it's certainly the last time I buy a system, any system, in the first year.