IGNORED

VC Games seem to be popular

Bivotar

From the Nintendo press release on hitting the 100th game in the VC library:

And since going online Nov. 19, owners of Nintendo's hot Wii video game system have downloaded more than 4.7 million classic games from Wii's Virtual Console, a rate of more than 1,000 games every hour since launch. The top five classic game downloads globally to date, and their original system are:

Super Mario Bros. (NES)

Super Mario 64 (N64)

Mario Kart 64 (N64)

Super Mario World (SNES)

The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Wow, 1000 games being downloaded every hour. Do the math on 4.7M games at an average of $7.50/game (split the diff between NES @ $5 and N64 @ $10).

No wonder they have Mario hitting coin blocks when you download a game! That is what it must sound like to Nintendo *KA-CHING*!

why do you think neo geo and possibly sega saturn will be coming? easy money.

Exactly. I remember when the TurboGrafx games were announced. There were only going to be 5 of them. Now we're getting at least one each week, sometimes more! Obviously they're making some serious cash off of this.

And for the NeoGeo, SNK isn't making any money off the system at this point. (Despite used cartridges selling for a rock-bottom minimum of $30.) Thus they could add NeoGeo titles to the Virtual Console, charge $10-$15 a game, and make a fortune cannibalizing the used game market!

Even better (for SNK) is that they will have a clear opportunity to sell to customers who are not currently fans of the system. Especially given the Virtual Console's poor fighter lineup.

and where else are these games going to go? compilations?

its funny... you coudl have 15 games from sega in a gc disk and its considered stingy for 19.99, .. not enough content theyd always say. yet people are willing to pay 8 dollars for just the first sonic alone.

anywho, another thing to factor in this is that many of these games would NEVER be in a compilation... especially turbo 16 and neo geo games (and saturn for that matter). many of the games they are getting havent been touched by the devs who made them in years... and many of the developers who made them are dead or have merged with another company. so if anything i guess the sticker price is worth it on some games that woudl never have made the light of day again on a new console.

but yea, nintendo is making a killer off these games. think of the target market for the wii. non gamers.. ie: people who havent played video games for over a decade. many of these games they are familiar with appeal to them, and im sure most non serious (wont say hardcore :) ) gamers have long since sold their systems and games... so this is a plus to them. another point to consider for high sales is that these non gamers want to show thier kids what they used to play when they were younger. so for many people, 5-10 dollars for these games is worth every penny. and considering how well games like brain age sell, the target market on non gamers is VERY large, letting vc games become very very profitable!

Edited by AtariJr

I think it's amazing that they've gotten so many people to shell out $5 for a virtual copy of Super Mario Bros. The actual cart is worth about a tenth of that price, and it's not like an NES is hard to obtain. Hell, you could probably find one for about $5 with a little looking around. Chumps. :)

I think it's amazing that they've gotten so many people to shell out $5 for a virtual copy of Super Mario Bros. The actual cart is worth about a tenth of that price, and it's not like an NES is hard to obtain. Hell, you could probably find one for about $5 with a little looking around. Chumps. :)

actually youd be suprised... nes consoles are going for 50 and up in many used game places, and mario bros' value has skyrocked (in comparison to what it used to cost... ie: one dollar to 5-10).

again, you have to put yourself in the shoes of a person whos not a collector. most of the customers are kids who've never played these older systems, or non gamer parents who havent played them since they were in thier 20's.

of course for peopel liek us the idea of the vc is more of a rip off to them. we still have our systems, they dont. and for many people, they dont want to go buy a n64, a snes, and an nes... it takes up room that they dont want to waist on video games as they dont really care about them as much as us. for them its much more economical to just type thier credit card number in and dload a game they used to like for a few bucks.

A huge factor is convenience though. I have most, if not all, of the VC games on cartridge already, but don't have the space or desire to hook them up to my big TV set up. The ability to use the wireless Wii control is very compelling also. My couch is across the room from the entertainment center and I don't want a bunch of extension cables scattered around. The "save state" feature is also great. I can play a quick couple of minutes on a game and it will be exactly where I left it when I come back to it later.

A huge factor is convenience though. I have most, if not all, of the VC games on cartridge already, but don't have the space or desire to hook them up to my big TV set up.

Exactly. I've been tempted on numerous occasions to purchase SMB just so I won't have to hook up the Nintendo when my kids want to play it. (I already use an Intellivision Lives! disc on them. ;)) The problem is that there are so many cool VC games that I just haven't brought myself to do it yet.

actually youd be suprised... nes consoles are going for 50 and up in many used game places, and mario bros' value has skyrocked (in comparison to what it used to cost... ie: one dollar to 5-10).

again, you have to put yourself in the shoes of a person whos not a collector. most of the customers are kids who've never played these older systems, or non gamer parents who havent played them since they were in thier 20's.

of course for peopel liek us the idea of the vc is more of a rip off to them. we still have our systems, they dont. and for many people, they dont want to go buy a n64, a snes, and an nes... it takes up room that they dont want to waist on video games as they dont really care about them as much as us. for them its much more economical to just type thier credit card number in and dload a game they used to like for a few bucks.

Oh, i know the reasoning behind it. I just still find it amazing. I guess because it's really the first major selling point on a "hot" console that is of absolutely zero interest or value to me, makes it slightly hard to relate. My NES collection i had to part with had about 300 games in it. I paid $5 or more for maybe 10 of them. Right now i have it built back up to about 90 games, and i've only ever paid over $3 for one of them.

So yeah...it's just weird to kinda have to look at a console success through the eyes of parents, old ladies, and little kids, rather than the gamer demographic i'm used to.

A huge factor is convenience though. I have most, if not all, of the VC games on cartridge already, but don't have the space or desire to hook them up to my big TV set up. The ability to use the wireless Wii control is very compelling also. My couch is across the room from the entertainment center and I don't want a bunch of extension cables scattered around. The "save state" feature is also great. I can play a quick couple of minutes on a game and it will be exactly where I left it when I come back to it later.

Even the convenience factor is foreign to me. One small wire rack beside the tv stand is more than enough room for me to store and hook up about a dozen consoles (plus a DVD player) to my tv, without cords and consoles strewn everywhere. I've lived in some pretty tiny-ass apartments, and i've always had room...i guess i just don't know why people have consoles but no desire to plug them in. Call me old-fashioned, i guess. :)

Even the convenience factor is foreign to me. One small wire rack beside the tv stand is more than enough room for me to store and hook up about a dozen consoles (plus a DVD player) to my tv, without cords and consoles strewn everywhere. I've lived in some pretty tiny-ass apartments, and i've always had room...i guess i just don't know why people have consoles but no desire to plug them in. Call me old-fashioned, i guess. :)

yes, but there are peopel like me who cant fit another system in thier gaming cabinet... i coudlnt fit an nes and a tg16 in my cabinet.

anywho, like i said before, only reason why i got it is so that i could play the few nes games i have without the system as i got rid of it a while ago, so i could play games ive never played before on systems ive never owned (tg 16 and neo geo soon) ,and so that i could play older games and come back later at start playing where i left off.

I know it's a little surprising to some people, but I'll say what I've said all along. We are not the majority. Most people don't actually have a working NES, and if they do, they don't want to have to hook it up next to their cool DVD player, and shiny Wii (that's still funny to me. Shiny Wii. HA). Even if they do have that and not mind that, they don't want to go out to a flea market and dig through old dusty games (I can't even imagine not having that sound like the perfect Sunday evening, but to each their own :)).

I remember when this was announced a lot of people *cough Sony fans cough* said that the majority of people wouldn't buy an old ROM when they're free online or when games are so cheap, and besides, they would say, the average person isn't into retro games. I guess it is a great shock to them that the average person is into retro but is not into figuring out emulation. That is because the average person finds it much easier to spend $5 than to waste 15 minutes. It's a fact. Why do you think fast food makes money? You could make a sandwich to bring to work or go home to cook after work, but screw that, it's only $5 to get someone else to do it for you.

There you have it: the VC-- videogame fastfood.

Edited by Atarifever

My NES collection i had to part with had about 300 games in it. I paid $5 or more for maybe 10 of them.

Holy crap.. I guess you weren't an NES guy in its time eh. I'd say I paid about $35-$45 for over 70+ of my NES carts :P And about the same amount for my equal collection of Famicom stuff.

'Course I haven't bought an NES game since like 1990 or something, but hey. :)

Edited by NE146

My NES collection i had to part with had about 300 games in it. I paid $5 or more for maybe 10 of them.

Holy crap.. I guess you weren't an NES guy in its time eh. I'd say I paid about $35-$45 for over 70+ of my NES carts :P And about the same amount for my equal collection of Famicom stuff.

'Course I haven't bought an NES game since like 1990 or something, but hey. :)

Oh, i had an NES when it was new. I just didn't have any of my old games left when i started to collect for it later in life. Except Dragon Warrior, and that was free. :)

That is not a big shock. I am an owner of a wii. I bought one for the games that were or will be released for the wii. The thing that got me wanting a wii besides the wii games was the vc. I am not buying sns,genesis, or snes vc games due to me already owning that. While I own a tg-16, some the prices of the games you get from internet stores, or ebay is way more expensive then they are on the vc like Bomberman 93. I bought 2 vc tg-16 games and planning getting neo geo vc games will they come out. I bought a tg-16 last year, by then some the games on the systems are out of my range like bomberman'93.

There alot of people who like me in not able afford a Neo Geo or some games whatever system due to price and that is why th vc is a goldmine. Also how many people owning a working nes? The nes toasters were not built to last this long.

Anyone who claims the vc is rip off is nuts depending on games your buying the vc.

Edited by 8th lutz

I think the biggest thing about VC is the convenience factor. That and as pointed out above, not many people understand enough about emulation to be bothered with setting it up manually.

I have an in-law contemplating an Ipod. Problem is I don't know if she has the technical savy to know to copy everything over manually as opposed to synchronizing which can totally screw things up.

Anyways I've been slowly making an effort to go wireless. It's just alot more convenient when you have a puppy and kids running around and not having to worry about a cord being tripped on and unplugged.

I think the biggest thing about VC is the convenience factor. That and as pointed out above, not many people understand enough about emulation to be bothered with setting it up manually.

That is what suprises me about folks on this board buying into the VC.

I'd have to say 95% of the people here do understand about emulation and probably 75% use it.

In addition most of us here have the original systems.

I can break out an NES, or boot up my PC (neither one is an inconvienence unless you are completely lazy and a classic system and 25-50 games doesnt need it's own garage so this BS about not having space is just that...if you really wanna play an NES you can find room for one, try under your bed!!LOL) or I could pay $125-$250 to accomplish the exact same thing. Go figure.

The most I can figure is we as a society are so damn lazy we'd rather spend $100's of dollars then spend 5 minutes of time breaking out what we already paid for once or turning on our PC and doubleclicking an icon.

Edited by moycon

Actually in my case since I have practically everything I need on my xbox already. Probably why (in my case) I ony have a small handful of VC titles.

The few I do have really are a matter of convenience in that between Wii games I can just play a quick game of Mario Bro's, or whatever.

Theres other advantages too, like some people might prefer the classic controller for this stuff, some might want to play NES games and such on a HDTV (Doesn't the VC upscale stuff? Regular 480i and under composite video doesn't always look very good on a hdtv), save states for people that want to play NES games on their tv, etc. And theres benefits from the component video cables over rf or composite for those that like to play these on their living room television and such, even if its not a hd set.

I'd consider it when I get a Wii someday for a few games like Sim City where the original is kind of finicky (I've lost my saved cities a few times over the years), being able to save my progress on F-Zero rather than play through it in one sitting, etc. Problem is the VC service and Super Paper Mario are the only things I find interesting about the system, so I'm holding off.

Edited by Atariboy

I've lost my saved cities a few times over the years), being able to save my progress on F-Zero rather than play through it in one sitting

Emulators I've used can save your game at any point during the game you want. with a press of the button....and you can even speed up the game...perfect for by-passing lenghthy cut-scenes or boring dialog.

I guess you do have a point with the HD TVs, altho I'd bet there are low cost solutions...maybe even just adjusting the TVs settings that might correct that issue.

That is what suprises me about folks on this board buying into the VC.

I'd have to say 95% of the people here do understand about emulation and probably 75% use it.

In addition most of us here have the original systems.

I can break out an NES, or boot up my PC (neither one is an inconvienence unless you are completely lazy and a classic system and 25-50 games doesnt need it's own garage so this BS about not having space is just that...if you really wanna play an NES you can find room for one, try under your bed!!LOL) or I could pay $125-$250 to accomplish the exact same thing. Go figure.

The most I can figure is we as a society are so damn lazy we'd rather spend $100's of dollars then spend 5 minutes of time breaking out what we already paid for once or turning on our PC and doubleclicking an icon.

At least someone agrees with me. :)