IGNORED

How do I use an Atari SC monitor with an Atari 8-bit?

FastRobPlus

Jumper the switch and turn everything on with your power strip...?

Bob

I guess not.

Anyone got any recommendations for a replacement power switch for the SC1435? It packed in already (won't stay on).

Heh, I remember doing that years ago with a 14" portable TV that was my monitor.

I guess the chances of finding a replacement part are pretty slim. Does it physically not engage (click?) or is it possibly dirty contacts?

I guess not.

Anyone got any recommendations for a replacement power switch for the SC1435? It packed in already (won't stay on).

I replaced mine a few years ago but I don't remember the exact form factor. Can you post a pic since I'm too lazy to open mine up at the moment?

I have a few spare monitor switches, I used one not long ago to replace a power switch with the same issue on one of my C1084 monitors.

Mitch

If only I'd left it switched on the last time I got it going, I'd have just turned it one and off at the wall. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I just ordered a switch on eBay, although it may be a pain to fit since it's a different size. This is the original if anyone has a spare lying around:

post-21964-128385383852_thumb.jpg

It actually won't engage when pressed, and I see no easy way of getting into the casing.

Just had a closer look and it's an ME5A switch. Found a couple of vintage parts suppliers online but none with any in stock as yet...

Edited by flashjazzcat

Hi

I just checked the SC1435 Best Electronics catalog section, and the don't list the On/Off switch...although they list On/Off switches for other monitors...

I recommend sending a mail to Brad, maybe he has some in stock.... www.best-electronics-ca.com

Regards

I might well email Bradley. icon_smile.gif

I managed to get the old switch off (very fiddly work), and I've just hard-wired it to on for now. If the switch I ordered doesn't fit well, it occurs to me that a suitably sized rocker switch from a PSU would make a nice replacement.

Question: if replacing the switch with an on/off rocker, if the rocker switch only has one pair of poles, is it safe to wire the switch into live and leave ground jumpered (or vice versa)? Sorry if that's a noob question, but I'm no expert with electrics...

Edited by flashjazzcat

Hmmm, I have a few of these guys that are NOS. I guess I'll need to pull apart my SC-1435 and see if it's an exact match.

It looks the business. I doubt the one I ordered from eBay will be as close a match.

Re: the rocker switch: I notice the PSU I removed it from just had earth wired through the poles, with the live feed permanently going into the board.

Hmmm, I have a few of these guys that are NOS. I guess I'll need to pull apart my SC-1435 and see if it's an exact match.

It looks the business. I doubt the one I ordered from eBay will be as close a match.

Re: the rocker switch: I notice the PSU I removed it from just had earth wired through the poles, with the live feed permanently going into the board.

OK, I opened up my SC-1435 and the switch is identical except the leads are made for wire instead of mounted on a circuit board like the SC-1435 has. It would probably be pretty easy to rig up pins from old resistor/cap leg cutoffs though. I'll try to run by the electronics store where I picked them up this weekend and see if they have any of the other type but I tend to doubt it. If you want one or two let me know.

Mitch

OK, I opened up my SC-1435 and the switch is identical except the leads are made for wire instead of mounted on a circuit board like the SC-1435 has. It would probably be pretty easy to rig up pins from old resistor/cap leg cutoffs though. I'll try to run by the electronics store where I picked them up this weekend and see if they have any of the other type but I tend to doubt it. If you want one or two let me know.

PM'd.

The monitors were still in my car, so I ran downstairs (at work) and peeped them out... BAH!!!! it's a 1084S-P

oh well icon_smile.gif it will work for what I want it to do. SVideo and RGB for my VBXE machine.

The 1084S-P is a great monitor (I have two, but one has trapezoid geometry problems). I think it's possible to get too carried away with the case styling issue, although I suppose that's easy to say when your main monitor is an SC1435! :)

Ugh the 1084s-P I got doesn't show a good picture on svideo or composite, and I have no RGB items to test it with... I saw it working with RGB and the picture was fine...

when I start up my 8bits I get a VERY dark blue screen and the white READY is almost as dark a blue color, can barely make it out...

I've adjusted all the knobs and can't get a good picture at all...

Any ideas?

So I have to ask -what monitor do you feel matches the XL style? Maybe a TI monitor?

None. Unless it had the cream/offwhite and brown with silver trim, and the bevelled edges of the XL design, it doesn't match. That's why I said it was a dream of mine. I guess I could paint my 1084S to some extent to match in color, but there's no monitor that I've seen with bevelled edges and brush metal trim. Though I don't recall what a TI monitor looks like, got a pic or link to a pic? I have a TI 99/4A, but just it and the voice synthesis module, no monitor, no drive and it's packed away at the moment. So I'm guessing maybe the TI monitor uses brushed metal trim like the TI 99/4A? Maybe it would make a good match with a little paint.

Addressing that lack of an XL-look monitor is on my to-do list.

I know it doesn't exactly match the XL, but the JVC TM-A13SU doesn't look half bad behind my 800XL. It looks less out of place than a Commodore 1702, and with an S-video cable it's the best A8 display I've used. Plus it does PAL and the controls are all digital. Sometimes they go cheap on Ebay; they're always going expensive.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=9&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&icep_uq=jvc+tm-a13su&icep_sellerId=&icep_ex_kw=&icep_sortBy=12&icep_catId=&icep_minPrice=&icep_maxPrice=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg