IGNORED

How do I use an Atari SC monitor with an Atari 8-bit?

FastRobPlus

• 2 weeks later...

I guess not.

Anyone got any recommendations for a replacement power switch for the SC1435? It packed in already (won't stay on).

My SC1435 turned up today and guess what? Yup, power switch is busted. Lucky for me it's broken in the "ON" position! Apart form that the unit is in nice shape. I'll dig my ST out later to test it and then pack it up until my VBXE turns up.

Commodore Monitors...

Commodore monitors? Come on - I used to think you guys were cool...

While I'm at it, maybe I should go buy a Chevy so I can go out and stick some Ford parts on it!

:) Okay just just kidding! :)

I do have a lot of Commodore, Amiga, and other monitors (see - there's one now!) with composite or Y/C input, but I'm looking for a perfect match for the Atari 130XE. I really want that prototype XE composite monitor, but I don't think anyone's selling or trading at this time... Barring that, I'd like to use an Atari SC1224, since the style is the same. I suppose I could gut one and install some other monitor's internals...

Alternately, I could divest my XE stuff and just stick with an origianl 800. At least I do have the "matching" monitor for it, since they were noramally mated with Amdek color 1 displays.

Since the thread's been necro'd already, I might as well address this.

One of the few things Atari guys were ever willing to admit that Commodore did right (back when the war was still a real, shooting war) was that they sourced some very good monitors. There were a lot of Atari guys who used Commodore monitors back then and still do. I still have my 1702 from long ago and a few years back I got my hands on my first C64 and guess what? It's a very similar experience overall to using an Atari 8 bit with the added advantage of more mainstream support. I honestly don't see what all the fuss was about now.

Edited by OldAtarian

Commodore Monitors...

Commodore monitors? Come on - I used to think you guys were cool...

While I'm at it, maybe I should go buy a Chevy so I can go out and stick some Ford parts on it!

:) Okay just just kidding! :)

I do have a lot of Commodore, Amiga, and other monitors (see - there's one now!) with composite or Y/C input, but I'm looking for a perfect match for the Atari 130XE. I really want that prototype XE composite monitor, but I don't think anyone's selling or trading at this time... Barring that, I'd like to use an Atari SC1224, since the style is the same. I suppose I could gut one and install some other monitor's internals...

Alternately, I could divest my XE stuff and just stick with an origianl 800. At least I do have the "matching" monitor for it, since they were noramally mated with Amdek color 1 displays.

Since the thread's been necro'd already, I might as well address this.

One of the few things Atari guys were ever willing to admit that Commodore did right (back when the war was still a real, shooting war) was that they sourced some very good monitors. There were a lot of Atari guys who used Commodore monitors back then and still do. I still have my 1702 from long ago and a few years back I got my hands on my first C64 and guess what? It's a very similar experience overall to using an Atari 8 bit with the added advantage of more mainstream support. I honestly don't see what all the fuss was about now.

Yep I absolutely agree. I have a couple of Commodore monitors now and they're really great. It's a shame Atari never produced any dedicated monitors for the 8 bit line but to be honest at the time I wouldn't have been able to afford one anyway.

Looking forward to getting this SC hooked up to a VBXE machine though given what I saw at FJCs place recently. It really was a superb picture.

I had thought about moding a CS monitor to take composite in when this thread first started, but for the money I'd spend buying monitors on eBay, getting a VBXE2 and using my SC1224 is definetly the way to go. Strangly just today I got one of those Magnavox monitors that matches the XL today at the thrift store for $4. I didn't realize that it has RGB in as well as composite. I don't really have a place to set up the XL but I couldn't pass this up :)

Looking forward to getting this SC hooked up to a VBXE machine though given what I saw at FJCs place recently. It really was a superb picture.

Yep - it's the best monitor I ever bought.

If you need a switch I have two (one for my SC) which can probably be shoe-horned onto the mainboard. You're welcome to the other one.

I had thought about moding a CS monitor to take composite in when this thread first started, but for the money I'd spend buying monitors on eBay, getting a VBXE2 and using my SC1224 is definetly the way to go.

Without a doubt. I still favour an LCD with stock machines (luma/chroma) any day, but with RGB, a good CRT is in a class of its own.

Edited by flashjazzcat

I had thought about moding a CS monitor to take composite in when this thread first started, but for the money I'd spend buying monitors on eBay, getting a VBXE2 and using my SC1224 is definetly the way to go.

Without a doubt. I still favour an LCD with stock machines (luma/chroma) any day, but with RGB, a good CRT is in a class of its own.

Actually that's what I'm doing now, I have a HP monitor that has VGA, S-video, and composite, and I've been using composite for the 130XE, VIC-20, and Amiga 1000 just because I'm totally out of space (part of the joy of collecting old electronics I suppose). I still haven't installed my VBXE but when I do I'll probably somehow squeeze in my SC1224 and use it for the XE and A1000 (might as well use RGB for it too if I have the monitor setup, I got the inline DIN 13 to build an adaptor for it). I'll miss the space savings of the HP monitor, but I think the improved picture quality will justify having two monitors.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 years later...

The service manual I obtained is the exact correct one for the 1084S-P1, but the circuit diagram is pretty unclear so I wouldn't like to rely on it when it comes to adding components.

I hadn't realized that the CM8833-II is yet another monitor using the exact same mainboard, but this certainly seems to be the case. The CVBS is wired up on that monitor, so a photo of that monitor's motherboard may also be helpful.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this is exactly what I'm trying to achieve now. Judging from the photo below your original post I'd say you had managed to build it in the end? Do you remember details?

• 7 months later...