IGNORED

A Reproduction of the Atari 1090XL?

Allan

I would like the second two corvus interfaces off the assembly line, please!

For the record, what exactly has to be "tuned" between PBI of different Atari's?

He was referring to how some mods cannot co-exist, for example, Internal MyIDE and IntSDX.

Edited by HiroProX

The only issue I can see with devising a standardized "PBI 2.0" is getting all of the most prolific hardware designers to sit down and begin hashing it out. That alone gives me mental images of herding cats. But it might be a good use for an IRC chat.

Anyone game?

Edited by HiroProX

I would like the second two corvus interfaces off the assembly line, please!

For the record, what exactly has to be "tuned" between PBI of different Atari's?

He was referring to how some mods cannot co-exist, for example, Internal MyIDE and IntSDX.

I would think the reference was to the variance in Phi2 timing on different machines, compounded by the increased bus capacitance of additional internal mods.The exclusivity of Internal MyIDE and IntSDX is primarily a physical one, which is to say you can't simultaneously plug both upgrades into the same OS ROM socket. An internal MyIDE on the CPU socket and IntSDX on the OS ROM avoids that problem, but the bus capacitance issue may require additional "tuning".

I personally run a 130XE with IntSDX, a custom CPU-mounted RTC board, Stereo Pokey, VBXE2, and a 1MB RAM upgrade. However, it required a timing mod before an extenal MyIDE cart would work. Whether this is solely down to the proliferation of internal mods, I am uncertain.

Edited by flashjazzcat

The only issue I can see with devising a standardized "PBI 2.0" is getting all of the most prolific hardware designers to sit down and begin hashing it out. That alone gives me mental images of herding cats. But it might be a good use for an IRC chat.

Anyone game?

Yep, that'd be pretty much it. But I still think some kind of "PBI 2.0" standard is in order.

Anyone game?

Yep, that'd be pretty much it? But I still think some kind of "PBI 2.0" standard is in order.

I agree with both. It is in order, but how can you get an agreement about it. Wouldn't it be best to just survey them and someone like MG or Curt make the call?

Edited by Defender II

Anyone game?

Yep, that'd be pretty much it? But I still think some kind of "PBI 2.0" standard is in order.

I agree with both. It is in order, but how can you get an agreement about it. Wouldn't it be best to just survey them and someone like MG or Curt make the call?

Well the first thing is to figure out what, if any additional signals are needed for new hardware ideas, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a system to use multiple cartridges on the same system?

Or is the 1090XL basically what it does?

In that case, you could add whatever cartridge you want.

MyIDE, SpartaDOS X, Mac/65.

So I can finally use the MyIDE together with my Sample Cartridge! :P

>>Louis

Any kind of XE adaptor with two cart slots on the back would be damned handy IMO. MG makes one for the MIO, I believe (although its prime purpose is the connection of the MIO, of course). I'd also like to use a passive MyIDE cart with other carts.

The 1090XL is something quite different: it was a parallel bus expansion system, for connecting hard disk interfaces and other expansion cards to the XL's PBI port on the back of the machine.

Anyone game?

Well the first thing is to figure out what, if any additional signals are needed for new hardware ideas, etc.

The IDE Plus 2.0 device has shown that the signals on the XE ECI should be the minimum starting point for any new PBI standard, since some cartridge control signals are required for devices like intSDX to operate as external devices.

Any kind of XE adaptor with two cart slots on the back would be damned handy IMO. MG makes one for the MIO, I believe (although its prime purpose is the connection of the MIO, of course). I'd also like to use a passive MyIDE cart with other carts.

The XE adapter MG made is a reproduction of the original ICD version which allows the MIO to be used with a 130XE. The 1200XL PBI EXTENDER BOARD he made also had the dual cartridge slots.

What about this solution?

One cartridge slot in the back (or on Black Box in this case)

One cartridge slot on top.

That looks very good!

Did you find any problem when working with multiple cartridges?

Did you find any problem when working with multiple cartridges?

Only with cartridges that won't work together anyways. You can't insert 2 game carts and expect it to work :-)

The port on top can be switched off so can be used for Sparta-Dos 3.3 on cartridge while the other cart can be a RT-8, or USB cart, or a sampler cartridge, or whatever. Haven't checked yet if it actually works with a 1 or 8 Mbit flash-cart.

The 1090XL is something quite different: it was a parallel bus expansion system, for connecting hard disk interfaces and other expansion cards to the XL's PBI port on the back of the machine.

I have an original ICD adapter and it is excellent. I can use the MaxFlash versions of SDX and my repro RT-8 cart with no issues (the 8Mb version does not work with the RT-8, but the 1Mb and 1Mb + MyIDE carts do).

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Found the 1090XL Technical Notes while browsing old comp.sys.atari.8bit threads.

Fascinating!

"3.0 Future Enhancements

The future enhancements include a SIO card to allow operation with

the current Atari 400/800 line as well as the option cards stated in

the introduction. As of this document no option cards are defined."

It would be pretty neat to see a reproduction of this come to pass, though without cards to actually throw into the box, the concept is kinda DOA.

• 5 years later...