IGNORED

Consoles that have never had homebrew?

Rev. Rob

Hey, I still like the 6507 in 2007.

The design was in use for many years. The Lynx came out in 1989 and AFAIK even the SNES CPU was part of the same processor family :)

Yep, snes had a 65C816. A shame it wasn't run fast enough to support it's own capabilities thus often requiring a co-processor to help out on the cartridge. :ponder:

• 10 months later...

One console that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Creativison, a console made in Hong Kong which coupled a 6502 CPU with a TMS9928 video chip and a TI sound chip. That console was sold in Austria and Italy, though I don't know if it made it to the USA.

Anyway... as far as I know there has no homebrew game been written for it yet. There is some homebrew hardware (a multicart), and I managed to write a graphics and sound demo which also has been put on the multicart, but it isn't a game since it doesn't accept any user input.

One console that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Creativison -- as far as I know there has no homebrew game been written for it yet -- I managed to write a graphics and sound demo
post-2829-1224092261.gif If you wrote something for it, then it has homebrew. :P :)

but it isn't a game since it doesn't accept any user input.
Why does that matter. Homebrew is Homebrew. :ponder:

I wanted to see if we can make a list of systems that are completly homebrew free.
What's the word, Rev... Homebrew period or just homebrew games?

how about the sega pico or the super a-can or the pioneer laseractive or the view master interactivision thingy or that other light-gun video tape system that had the ghost game and others or the emerson arcadia 2001 or the intellivision ECS... (or any of those 2600 computer modules that did make it out in some places,)

I don't know if the format really matters.... consider the Astrocade or any of the tape-based methods on the 2600.

The Astrocade has had homebrew since the day of its release just about, thanks to Bally/AstroBasic and Machine Language Manager.

It was probably the ONLY console at the time encouraging homebrew.

Edited by Gorf

Creativison [..] no homebrew game been written for it yet

Does BASIC games loaded off tape count? :-D The creatiVision - just like some other video games of that era - had an optional BASIC cartridge, and cassette storage module. I know Luca himself in the early 2000's wrote some simple BASIC games in addition to the old ones from Dick Smith.

But yes, some day I'll try to come up with something machine code-y for that machine as you know from the discussion thread on the dedicated creatiVision forum.

hi how about the texas instruments TI 99/4A home cpu. i read it a 16 bit machine and the games are all 36k!!!

haven't seen and homebrews for that one.

No, that's seriously wrong. In fact I don't know of any game that was 36k... but maybe I'm wrong here. Anyway, I know of many games for the TI that were only 8K (for instance the Romox games), and many that were 16K (most of the Atarisoft ones).

As for homebrews... well, that depends on what exactly you would consider a "homebrew". If you mean homebrew CARTRIDGES (Command Modules in TI slang), then you may be right. But TI offered some possibilities to program their machine. If you had the console only, you could only program in BASIC (and save your creations on tape, if you had the optional tape adapter). If you bought the minimemory module or the rather pricey expansion box with the 32K expansion, you could also write games in Assembler. And there were several small companies who sold disk-based games for the TI-99. For instance, I have @APESOFT's "Cerberus". Now the question is if you could consider this a homebrew since, of course, you could consider @APESOFT a company... but I'm not sure if it was.

If you count games programmed in BASIC or EXTENDED BASIC as homebrews, then I'm sure there are literally thousands or millions of them... I have personally written about 100 programs for the TI-99 in EXTENDED BASIC.

And by the way, even professional companies did some "hacks". If you listen to the sounds of Atarisoft's TI-99 version of "Protector" closely, they will strangely remind you of those of TI's own "Tombstone City", whose source code was released on the pack-in disks for their "Editor/Assembler" module, which you needed to write machine language programs for the expanded TI-99.

hi how about the texas instruments TI 99/4A home cpu. i read it a 16 bit machine and the games are all 36k!!!

haven't seen and homebrews for that one.

No, that's seriously wrong. In fact I don't know of any game that was 36k... but maybe I'm wrong here. Anyway, I know of many games for the TI that were only 8K (for instance the Romox games), and many that were 16K (most of the Atarisoft ones).

As for homebrews... well, that depends on what exactly you would consider a "homebrew". If you mean homebrew CARTRIDGES (Command Modules in TI slang), then you may be right. But TI offered some possibilities to program their machine. If you had the console only, you could only program in BASIC (and save your creations on tape, if you had the optional tape adapter). If you bought the minimemory module or the rather pricey expansion box with the 32K expansion, you could also write games in Assembler. And there were several small companies who sold disk-based games for the TI-99. For instance, I have @APESOFT's "Cerberus". Now the question is if you could consider this a homebrew since, of course, you could consider @APESOFT a company... but I'm not sure if it was.

If you count games programmed in BASIC or EXTENDED BASIC as homebrews, then I'm sure there are literally thousands or millions of them... I have personally written about 100 programs for the TI-99 in EXTENDED BASIC.

And by the way, even professional companies did some "hacks". If you listen to the sounds of Atarisoft's TI-99 version of "Protector" closely, they will strangely remind you of those of TI's own "Tombstone City", whose source code was released on the pack-in disks for their "Editor/Assembler" module, which you needed to write machine language programs for the expanded TI-99.

hey man. ok i found somestuff here, I also just picked one uo at the flea market for 5 bucks on e game all the wires and the original controllers.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/comput...?st=1&c=236

OK, I see they write 36 KB of ROM. I guess that's the maximum a ROM cartridge is able to have. I know for sure that there were many much smaller cartridges than that, though... but some actually at least came close to that limit, like the Extended Basic cartridge.

And in fact, that figure is incorrect too, but I can guess where it comes from...

The TI-99 has an oddity called "GROM", which is a ROM that sequentially gets accessed (similar to how the video chip presents its memory to the CPU). One bank of GROM typically has got 6K of memory. 8 such banks are supported, but 3 of those are already occupied by the console ROM. This would leave 5 banks of 6K each, which is 30K in total (not 36K). In addition to that, each cartridge is allowed to have 8K of CPU ROM, which actually puts the total to 38 K. But as I mentioned earlier, Atarisoft cartridges actually were 16K long, and that was all CPU ROM. They did that by bank-switching the ROM, as it was also done with other systems. And in fact, the GROM system actually supports 16 GROM bases (theoretically even 256 of them), which means that you can put additional GROM's in a cartridge which then are read/written on different CPU addresses. That way, theoretically up to 256 * 30K might be used in a cartridge, which gives an address space of 7,5 MB ROM on a cartridge, if you're really in for it (in addition to the bank-switched CPU ROM's). However, software has to be written on the cartridge to account for that since the console routines only support 16 GROM bases (which gives us 480 KB of ROM).

hey man. ok i found somestuff here, I also just picked one uo at the flea market for 5 bucks on e game all the wires and the original controllers.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch

The TI-99 has an oddity called "GROM", which is a ROM that sequentially gets accessed (similar to how the video chip presents its memory to the CPU).

I wonder how they compared in price with other types of ROM? Would the cost savings versus conventional ROM have made practical a GROM-based SuperCharger for the 2600?

Telstar Arcade - Cartridge-based, triangular case includes light gun, steering wheel with gear shift, and paddles, one on each side. Each cartridge includes a customized MOS Technology MPS-7600 chip. The chip contained custom logic circuits driven by a basic processor which ran a very small program stored in ROM.

never saw a homebrew for this, nor an emulator.

Just going out on a limb here, but... SuperGrafx?

It's hard to think of a game console that HASN'T had some kind of homebrew on it. Even the Saturn has a wide selection of homebrew games thanks to Saturn BASIC, along with a Master System emulator written in Assembly. I wouldn't be surprised if someone jury-rigged a VHS tape to work with the friggin' Action Max. One system that would be really hard to design homebrew for would be the MicroVision, since the system was just a shell with an LCD screen, and the cartridges had their own CPUs.

OK, I see they write 36 KB of ROM. I guess that's the maximum a ROM cartridge is able to have. I know for sure that there were many much smaller cartridges than that, though... but some actually at least came close to that limit, like the Extended Basic cartridge.

And in fact, that figure is incorrect too, but I can guess where it comes from...

The TI-99 has an oddity called "GROM", which is a ROM that sequentially gets accessed (similar to how the video chip presents its memory to the CPU). One bank of GROM typically has got 6K of memory. 8 such banks are supported, but 3 of those are already occupied by the console ROM. This would leave 5 banks of 6K each, which is 30K in total (not 36K). In addition to that, each cartridge is allowed to have 8K of CPU ROM, which actually puts the total to 38 K. But as I mentioned earlier, Atarisoft cartridges actually were 16K long, and that was all CPU ROM. They did that by bank-switching the ROM, as it was also done with other systems. And in fact, the GROM system actually supports 16 GROM bases (theoretically even 256 of them), which means that you can put additional GROM's in a cartridge which then are read/written on different CPU addresses. That way, theoretically up to 256 * 30K might be used in a cartridge, which gives an address space of 7,5 MB ROM on a cartridge, if you're really in for it (in addition to the bank-switched CPU ROM's). However, software has to be written on the cartridge to account for that since the console routines only support 16 GROM bases (which gives us 480 KB of ROM).

I'm working on a homebrew version of Pitfall! for the TI-99.

It's written in assembler and plans are to release -once finished- both a disk version and a cartridge version (limited quantity),

The game itself is based on the colecovision version and is currently about 90% finished (still to do are scoring,

adding title screen, adding all game screens and doing more bug-fixing).

Plans are to have a final release ready in spring 2009.

post-16219-1224672280_thumb.png

• 1 month later...
Dan Boris has at least cartridge pinouts for the microvision.

No idea what you're supposed to do with the LCD lines exactly, tho.

http://www.atarihq.com/danb/Microvision.shtml

Well, as far as I can remember (since nobody else replied to this), you have to feed the whole screen content of the LCD every time it is updated... which involves using 4 of the LCD lines for the pixel data and 2 of them for synchronisation. The data gets "strobed in" 4 pixels at a time, thus in a total of 64 strobes, by the CPU.

And... I think I've found two more consoles which didn't have homebrew... the Epoch Cassette Vision and Epoch Super Cassette Vision, which are two little known consoles from Japan. You can find out more about them in this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130365

Edited by Kurt_Woloch