IGNORED

Consoles that have never had homebrew?

Rev. Rob

The PV-1000 was pretty much just a MSX clone of sorts. The specs were generally the same and most of the whopping 15 games for it were, <gasp>, MSX ports. :ponder:

That said, should it even count?

Anywho, apparently the PV-1000 was a flop from the get go. It was, afterall, competing against the NES and Sega SG1000/SMS.

Loopy! I had to look that one up. "Casio Loopy! Game Console For Girls". :ponder: With only 10 or 11 (I've seen conflicting data saying both) games which were mostly all dating simulators. I will admit tho, the video capture and sticker printer accessories seem like they would have been neat.

Considering both were only sold in Japan for very short periods of time, the likely hood of anyone actually owning one and anyone who did activily persuring homebrew on it is pretty slim I think.

but one could actually argue that the ColecoVision was an MSX at heart as well...

You are correct.

What is it about all the early Z80 based consoles & computers that made their specifications virtually identical?

What about the Apple/Bandai Pippin?

The funny thing was I was thinking of mentioning the Pippin in my previous post.. :ponder:

While considered a 5th generation game console, it's just a Mac Power PC in an Bandai case. It's design was to play interactive multi media CD's which could be played on a regular Mac computer (some on Windows too). One of the more pointless systems to ever be created I think. :P

I'm working on a homebrew version of Pitfall! for the TI-99.

It's written in assembler and plans are to release -once finished- both a disk version and a cartridge version (limited quantity),

The game itself is based on the colecovision version and is currently about 90% finished (still to do are scoring,

adding title screen, adding all game screens and doing more bug-fixing).

Plans are to have a final release ready in spring 2009.

post-16219-1224672280_thumb.png

I would definitely love to get a copy of the cartridge version.

but one could actually argue that the ColecoVision was an MSX at heart as well...

You are correct.

What is it about all the early Z80 based consoles & computers that made their specifications virtually identical?

What about the Apple/Bandai Pippin?

The funny thing was I was thinking of mentioning the Pippin in my previous post.. :ponder:

While considered a 5th generation game console, it's just a Mac Power PC in an Bandai case. It's design was to play interactive multi media CD's which could be played on a regular Mac computer (some on Windows too). One of the more pointless systems to ever be created I think. :P

Im still hunting for marathon for my pippin :)

• 2 weeks later...
Handhelds:

Microvision - no (really it's just a display unit with the CPU in cartridges)

Game Boy/GBC - yes (I don't know of any, but there should be some by now)

Lynx - yes

Game Gear - yes (I don't know of any, but there should be some by now)

Virtual Boy - ???

Adventurevision - ???

Nomad - yes (it's just a hand-held Genesis)

GBA - yes

GP32/GP2X - yes (designed for them)

DS - yes

PSP - yes

L'il late to say this now XD but the virtual boy has quite a bit (never said they were GOOD XD) i played one on mine some snowball game, anyhow the adventurevision apparently has a few i aint sure on that one

• 5 years later...

The PV-1000 was pretty much just a MSX clone of sorts. The specs were generally the same and most of the whopping 15 games for it were, <gasp>, MSX ports. icon_ponder.gif

That said, should it even count?

wrong - PV-1000 display tiles are stored on rom, and has 3kb of ram (display ram is accessable via cpu directly, not by i/o like from msx) - it hasn’t any kind of similarity with msx, except the use of z80 cpu