IGNORED

HomeBrews Ideas

MIKE5200

I second Bowling. A fishing game maybe? But I would like to see a RPG type game. Would the 5200 be able to side-scroll?

Now, all we need is a programer! If you look at Jungle Hunt or Pitfall 2 both has side scroll.

I wouldn't mind seeing Fishing Derby 2 for the 5200. As for RPG type game maybe like King Quest or Zelda.

I second Bowling. A fishing game maybe? But I would like to see a RPG type game. Would the 5200 be able to side-scroll?

Now, all we need is a programer! If you look at Jungle Hunt or Pitfall 2 both has side scroll.

I wouldn't mind seeing Fishing Derby 2 for the 5200. As for RPG type game maybe like King Quest or Zelda.

That's kind of like saying "OK, I got my new sneakers, now all I have to do is climb up Mount Everest."

Yes, I do agree there are some great 2600 games that would be great on the 5200. (with better graphics of course.) I'd like to see Intellivision Shark Shark and a Hockey game on the 5200. A bowling game would be cool also.

Allan

Not sure about Jungle Hunt, but Pitfall II does not side scroll.

Pitfall 2 most certainly DOES scroll, at least vertically. Can't recall if there's proper horizontal scrolling.

Jungle Hunt does horizontal scroll, though. As does Defender. And Super Cobra(too bad the game is coded to be unplayable with stock controllers). And undoubtedly a few others.

Pitfall 2 most certainly DOES scroll, at least vertically. Can't recall if there's proper horizontal scrolling.

Jungle Hunt does horizontal scroll, though. As does Defender. And Super Cobra(too bad the game is coded to be unplayable with stock controllers). And undoubtedly a few others.

Yeah, It vertically scrolls , but not side to side. Can make a difference.

Either way, it would be cool to see a platformer type game.

Edited by SINGLE TOOTH

Another game has side scroll is Pacman Jr.

5200 has "scroll registers" built into the ANTIC video chip hardware. And lots of 5200 games feature some scrolling, such as Moon Patrol, even crappy old James Bond 007!

Pitfall II was ported from the 2600 version, and might not use the ANTIC hardware scrolling but be hard-coded as it was done for the 2600.

Yeah, Pitfall 2 is just like the 2600 game (well, except the whole second level thing) But the first of the game does the same as the 2600, flip to the next screen when you hit the edge.

Jungle hunt does side scroll, and I'm sure doesn't have to use the same 'sprite' trick to get that affect like the 2600 does.

Jungle hunt does side scroll, and I'm sure doesn't have to use the same 'sprite' trick to get that affect like the 2600 does.

This is new to me -- care to explain the 'sprite' trick?

The trick was to have the two levels of playfield graphics (the tree foliage and vines above and the bushes and coral below) to create the illusion of side-scrolling movement while the solid sky-blue background actualy remained static.

The same trick was pulled of even more convincingly in Parker Brother's TESB with the snow speeder moving in both directions, a very great achievment there.

• 2 weeks later...