IGNORED

The Grinch That Stole Your Internet

Jess Ragan

http://www.sarcasticgamer.com/2007/06/thats-wii-tarded.html

This is horrible if true. Oh Nintendo, surely you know better than to adopt the crack dealer's marketing strategy of "the first hit is free, but the next will cost 'ya!" I'll bet the people who actually paid for the Internet Channel are going to be pissed that it wasn't a one-time fee...

JR

Probably not true. Hopefully not true. Not that I care, I used that feature once and that was the day I downloaded the update for it.

I'm guessing though that if it is true, all the folks that were going head over heels trying to convince others how great surfing the net was on the Wii, will now find it not so great. :ponder:

I wonder if they will start changing for that question of the day BS next? :cool:

Well, it IS kind of fun to surf the 'net on the Wii, and play Wiimote-enabled games. But yeah, if there's a monthly charge for it, I won't even bother. I know Nintendo wants to make the Wii profitable right out of the box, but this is just unreasonable.

JR

That can't possibly be true. Unless it comes with a mandatory velvet portrait of Iwata in return for your tribute. Nintendo isn't an ISP, any measurable content provider, or even a gateway service.

Of course there is the upside of I'd laugh my ass off if this was true, and it will eliminate the unbelievably futilely useless 'i m posting frm my wii!' crap across the internet. :lol:

Apparently this isn't new news:

There are articles abound with the same story....from months ago.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2077872,00.asp

Wii owners will have until June to download the official Opera browser from the Wii Shop Channel, after which time it will cost 500 Wii Points.

Also according to the Wiki page. Its just the browser that will cost $5. Folks that have the browser already don't have to pay again at all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Channel

The Internet Channel is a version of the Opera 9 web browser for use on the Wii by Opera Software and Nintendo. On December 22, 2006, a free beta version (promoted as a "trial version") of the browser was released. The final version of the browser became available on April 11, 2007 and will be free to download until the last day of June. After this period the browser will cost 500 Wii Points to download. Users who download Opera before June 30, 2007, can continue to use the browser at no cost for the lifetime of the Wii system.
Edited by moycon

And Nintendo stated this on the download page when the first complete version of the browser appeared. Free for a few months, 500 points after.

Speaking of which, I guess I will go ahead and snag the offical browser (even tho I don't use it) before they start charging. I probably have the WIP version.

Don't you just love people who spread crack-smoke rumors?

And Nintendo stated this on the download page when the first complete version of the browser appeared. Free for a few months, 500 points after.

Which has been known for months now.

Speaking of which, I guess I will go ahead and snag the offical browser (even tho I don't use it) before they start charging. I probably have the WIP version.

Anyone who hasn't downloaded it by now, DOWNLOAD IT ALREADY!

If you have a Wii now and have to pay five bucks for this, it's your own damn fault.

So does anyone know if the backup file as saved on an SD flash is keyed to your console or what? Not that many people are likely to go to all that trouble if they already have points, of course, but it's good to know one way or the other.

The newer version is loads better than the beta. I'd snag it while its free. After you get used to it, the browser is actually a pretty fun way to enjoy the interned, especially stuff like youtube.

And...yes, you can backup the internet channel to an SD Card. If you haven't I highly suggest you do so. Otherwise, you might have to pay for it if you accidently delete the channel in the future and need to download it again. However, Nintendo's system is aware of what you have and haven't downloaded. So I wouldn't be surprised if you could still download it for free after the first of July and here on if you already downloaded it before.

As for costing Wii users 500 points a month to use it. That is ludicrous. How would Nintendo even bill you for it? They don't have the addresses or phone numbers for most of the Wii console users. They have mine, but only because I signed up with MyNintendo account and linked it to my Wii. But many others out there are likely to have just registered their Wii consoles and that was it. In any event, Nintendo wouldn't be able to bill anyone easily for this service and it would likely cost them much more than $5 a month to maintain accounts for everyone using it.

I understand it will cost new adopters $5 to download Opera to the Wii after the first of next month, but even then, that is a one time only fee like all the other VC titles.

I have one of them there computers to surf the internet. Why would I want to use a game console? I tried it on my Wii. Neat for about 10 seconds. They can charge 10,000 Wii points for all I care really. If Nintendo used web surfing as a sales pitch to make me want to buy one then I'd be pissed.

i could have sworn they said at LAUNCH that the inet would be only free for the first few months... so the fact that they kept it this free this long is actually kinda nice. and worst comes worst you shell out as much dough as you would on an nes game you play like... twice.

i dont think this is too much to ask. 10 on the other hand woudl have been way too far. its incentive for people to buy the system now. i know it sounds crazy, but it works.... you say something is free for a limited time, even if it only costs 5 bucks, and people will bite.

As for costing Wii users 500 points a month to use it. That is ludicrous. How would Nintendo even bill you for it? They don't have the addresses or phone numbers for most of the Wii console users.

Heh, Couldn't you just pay them in Wii points and after a month the browser would cease to work or disappear until you gave up another 500 Wii point? I don't think addresses and phone numbers would be needed and that is what the initial post was suggesting, thankfully it's a misunderstanding.

the paying of 5 bucks a month is false.. im PRETTY sure nintendo never said ANYThing about that. they only said that the inet was only temporarily free, and would have to be purchased ONCE later on to late adaptors of the system.

the paying of 5 bucks a month is false.. im PRETTY sure nintendo never said ANYThing about that. they only said that the inet was only temporarily free, and would have to be purchased ONCE later on to late adaptors of the system.

Wow Deja Vu.

Wow Deja Vu.

was just agreeing with you and saying i remembered them not stating bs like this as well. seriously, does anyone here actually think nintendo woudl charge monthly for a browser? they dont even charge for online gaming for gods sake.

Wow Deja Vu.

was just agreeing with you and saying i remembered them not stating bs like this as well. seriously, does anyone here actually think nintendo woudl charge monthly for a browser? they dont even charge for online gaming for gods sake.

Nintendo has online gaming?

Wow Deja Vu.

Nintendo has online gaming?

uh,.. yes.. and its more used than that of the psp. online gaming for wii will be similar to the ds, but even better as there is a better type friends code, and some games like madden wont even use the freind code. this august is the beginning really for the wii's online as a few games will be delving into it pretty extensively. i think that this will end up being better than the ds' online as its less complicated and console gaming is a bit more reasonable for going online as you need to be pretty much near your router anyway to go online on your portable (which means that isnt really "portable" gaming in my eyes).

but even better as there is a better type friends code

A better type of friends code is like saying there is a better type of cancer. No matter what, it still sucks.

Why Nintendo didn't look at Xbox Live and copy and improve on it is beyond me.

A browser on a video game console seems useless to me when my PC is a few steps away. I downloaded and used the Wii browser once, and have never used my PS3 browser. I am not going to complain about a free browser, but certainly wouldn't pay for it.

A better type of friends code is like saying there is a better type of cancer. No matter what, it still sucks.

Why Nintendo didn't look at Xbox Live and copy and improve on it is beyond me.

A browser on a video game console seems useless to me when my PC is a few steps away. I downloaded and used the Wii browser once, and have never used my PS3 browser. I am not going to complain about a free browser, but certainly wouldn't pay for it.

at least 3rd parties, like EA, have online games without freinds codes which shows its possible not to even use them... which is something that you couldnt do with the DS. maybe if 3rd parties agree with your statement so much, and they follow EA's lead with not using it, nintendo themselves will phase it out.

but yes , i do feel its better. and while i dont like the freinds code, i like the reason why it is there.. as i honestly DONT want what xbox live has with 13 year old ass whipes cursing in my ear like wanna be gangsters. the improvement on these freinds codes lies with that its not a new one each time (thank god). that REALLY got annoying, i must admit, to have 19 different codes for each of your other games... and youd have to keep your numbers all at hand if you wanted to tell your freinds what it was so they could play with you. now, its just one code for your mii, and its less for me to carry around. while its annoying as shit, i like the benifits a system like this gives, so im just going to bite my tongue. at least they made the pill easier to swallow.

Sorry, the guy's smoking crack. The guys over at Opera have been trying to beat it into people's heads for a while now:

The Opera browser is a ONE TIME fee of 500 points.

Caveats:

1. If you already own it, it's FREE.

2. The "per month" rumor is exactly that. A rumor. It was started by people who haven't figured out how to read.

Sorry, the guy's smoking crack. The guys over at Opera have been trying to beat it into people's heads for a while now:

The Opera browser is a ONE TIME fee of 500 points.

Caveats:

1. If you already own it, it's FREE.

2. The "per month" rumor is exactly that. A rumor. It was started by people who haven't figured out how to read.

THANK you jbanes...

Anyone who hasn't downloaded it by now, DOWNLOAD IT ALREADY!

If you have a Wii now and have to pay five bucks for this, it's your own damn fault.

Unfortunately this isn't an option if you only have access to dialup and can't even get into the Shop Channel. :sad:

Of course, having dialup and trying to use a web browser on the PC (which is desgined originally for dialup anyway), is about as fun as banging ones head against a concrete slab.

Thankfully the phone folks are (finally) upgrading from the copper wire and putting down some fiber optic cables. Not sure, but I'm hoping that soon I'll be able to catch up to the 21st century. A couple of months before something faster rolls out, I'm sure.

but yes , i do feel its better. and while i dont like the freinds code, i like the reason why it is there.. as i honestly DONT want what xbox live has with 13 year old ass whipes cursing in my ear like wanna be gangsters.

What do friend codes and gamertags have to do with that? If you do not like someone swearing on Xbox Live, don't add them to your friends list. Or don't use the headset. I do not run into the swearing HS/college kid all that often. Maybe it is the type of games I play or my group.

Will the Wii even have a microphone for online play? Seems to me that would effect the amount of swearing you hear more than having a silly 16 digit code.

Exactly. Friend codes suck. Until Nintendo goes with an Xbox Live type of online interface, it be a sub-par online experience.

If you don't like listening to 13 year old boys cuss at you etc...turn the voice chat feature off :)