IGNORED

5200 vs Colecovision ad

Brian R.

Funny how Colecovision PacMan looks like 2600 PacMan.

Did they really air this, and think people wouldn't know???

I think its because they were talking about the 2600 adapter for the Colecovision (Expansion Module #1). The 2600 Pacman was the only version of pac-man you could play on the Colecovision, because Coleco didn't have the license for pac-man.

But it's also a rip on the 2600 too. :D

Edited by SINGLE TOOTH

I think its because they were talking about the 2600 adapter for the Colecovision (Expansion Module #1). The 2600 Pacman was the only version of pac-man you could play on the Colecovision, because Coleco didn't have the license for pac-man.

Ah, I see, says the blind man. Now it makes sense. Well, some, anyway.

... I wonder why they didn't compare Donkey Kong... ;)

Ironically, 25 years later, there's a Pac Man available for the CV which is better than the 5200's version, and a Donkey Kong for the 5200 which is better than that of the CV.

• Like 2

Ironically, 25 years later, there's a Pac Man available for the CV which is better than the 5200's version, and a Donkey Kong for the 5200 which is better than that of the CV.

Wheres a link to the CV pac-man? Now, Im interested.

Wheres a link to the CV pac-man? Now, Im interested.

Well...it's about as available as DK for the 5200. You may have to search the forums .

Nice post! I love YouTube and all the retro cartoons and ads. (I watched a bit of Valley of the Dinosaurs the other day .. remember that?)

Anyway ... I remember that commercial! That's when I bought my 5200, when Pac-Man was the pack-in. I still love 5200 Pac-Man just as much as the coin-op version, the same way I love 5200 / A8 Donkey Kong just as much as the coin-op.

• Like 1

Because DK was never officially released for the 5200?

I think he was meaning that DK wasn't available for the 5200, it would have been a slap in the face for Atari.

Actally, that commercial would have been perfect if instead of 2600 PacMan, when the commercial said "heres PacMan on the Colecovision the showed a blank screen.

Still, as much as DK was a reason the get a Coleco, PacMan was a reason to get a 5200. Probablly moreso after the abortion that was 2600 PacMan. Unfortunately, Atari made Breakout the pack in game, and the rest is history. Had Atari included PacMan with the 5200, it's fate would have been much different (yeah they did later on in its life, but by then it was too little too late) . PacMan was still super hot at the time, even though DK was the top game.

Nice post! I love YouTube and all the retro cartoons and ads. (I watched a bit of Valley of the Dinosaurs the other day .. remember that?)

Anyway ... I remember that commercial! That's when I bought my 5200, when Pac-Man was the pack-in. I still love 5200 Pac-Man just as much as the coin-op version, the same way I love 5200 / A8 Donkey Kong just as much as the coin-op.

It's funny. I've got PacMan for the 7800, which can be said to be a more accurate and faithful version of the arcade game. But there's just something about PacMan on the 5200 that keeps bringing me back to it.

I didn't have a 5200 back in the day. My family went from the 2600 to the Coleco. I remember what it was like going from DK on the 2600 to the Coleco. The leap with PacMan from the 2600 to the 5200 must've been just as jaw dropping.

And, yeah, I knew DK wasn't released for the 5200, hence the " ;) "

Edited by Brian R.
  • Like 1

I think he was meaning that DK wasn't available for the 5200, it would have been a slap in the face for Atari.

Actally, that commercial would have been perfect if instead of 2600 PacMan, when the commercial said "heres PacMan on the Colecovision the showed a blank screen.

Still, as much as DK was a reason the get a Coleco, PacMan was a reason to get a 5200. Probablly moreso after the abortion that was 2600 PacMan. Unfortunately, Atari made Breakout the pack in game, and the rest is history. Had Atari included PacMan with the 5200, it's fate would have been much different (yeah they did later on in its life, but by then it was too little too late) . PacMan was still super hot at the time, even though DK was the top game.

I always thought the same thing. My 5200 came with Super Breakout and other than it being a 4-player game I did not think it was the right game to include. If Atari had included Pac Man the 5200 would have out-sold Colecovision by a mile. By the time Atari switced to Pac Man as the pack-in game it was too late. I remember seeing that ad on TV and thought it was funny.

I'm new to the forums here...Hello!

When I was about 5 years old, my Dad was hip enough to ask me the following important question:

"Do you want to have Pacman or Donkey Kong?"

I chose Pacman and I have never regretted that decision. I have always loved the 5200. I never thought the controllers were all that bad (I got the later ones), and that version of Pacman, along with Pengo, Pitfall 2, Kangaroo, and a TALKING Berzerk, are all the back up I'll ever need!

But what's all this 5200 DK talk??? OMG, that would be fantastic! I'm going to go search for it (planetemu.net hasn't failed me yet). But in case I get lost, any help would be great!

I plan on being a regular on the boards, especially in the 5200 section!

And my family bought the ColecoVision, with my hoping that Atarisoft would release Pac-Man on the CV. I never thought it would be even sitting in the vaults for years before somebody had the courage to make it publicly available, though mostly through emulation.

It wasn't in any vault. It was in collectors hands for MANY years. They just sat on it and refused to let anyone have a copy until they found a way to make a profit from it. They acted like their stolen Atari ROMS was their intellectual property.

I'm new to the forums here...Hello!

When I was about 5 years old, my Dad was hip enough to ask me the following important question:

"Do you want to have Pacman or Donkey Kong?"

I chose Pacman and I have never regretted that decision. I have always loved the 5200. I never thought the controllers were all that bad (I got the later ones), and that version of Pacman, along with Pengo, Pitfall 2, Kangaroo, and a TALKING Berzerk, are all the back up I'll ever need!

But what's all this 5200 DK talk??? OMG, that would be fantastic! I'm going to go search for it (planetemu.net hasn't failed me yet). But in case I get lost, any help would be great!

I plan on being a regular on the boards, especially in the 5200 section!

I think I like this guy. :thumbsup:

And my family bought the ColecoVision, with my hoping that Atarisoft would release Pac-Man on the CV. I never thought it would be even sitting in the vaults for years before somebody had the courage to make it publicly available, though mostly through emulation.
It wasn't in any vault. It was in collectors hands for MANY years. They just sat on it and refused to let anyone have a copy until they found a way to make a profit from it. They acted like their stolen Atari ROMS was their intellectual property.

Proverbially speaking, it WAS sitting in a vault.

Actually, it is funny! That's because they are criticizing their own version, which apparently they know stinks!

Ironic, the Colecovision sucks because the only version of Pac-Man it plays is ours (Atari's), which stinks.

I guess Coleco deserves it for stealing Atari's games. Hats off to Atari for turning it back around on Coleco. Maybe they wrote it for the Colecovision in the first place. :lolblue:

There were two versions of this ad. The second version had someone asking about the 2600 adapter for Colecovision and then getting the answer that the it won't play the 5200 version. (As a picture of someone trying to jam a 5200 cart into the adapter is shown).