IGNORED

Beyond Evil - now playable

Heaven/TQA

but i am not sure if a floor texture is good choice as it makes the whole scene "brighter" and you can not see the monsters and player good enough? emkay made some good point months ago that keeping the floor "empty" to keep that mood...

Of course you may choose to leave the floor empty. The choice is yours :-)

That headless knight was a funny placeholder :rolling: . I kind'a like that one better! ...just kidd'n .

That was actualy my first attempt with the new knight gfx but it was a bit too tall which is why the head got chopped.

Here's what that first image I did originaly looked like for those of you who are wondering.

post-7623-1182979810_thumb.png

pseudografx - you did a pretty good job of scaling down the knight with your version. :)

Well it's up to you Haven, if you perfer the one or the other is ok with me.

good work! it's really up to you guys... i am open for everthing... i also prefer the more darker colour which espire8 did in his first attempt... anything more Esipire what you think? Espire's style is more adult comic like imho... so its just a matter of taste. and i like PGs different sized monsters like the scorpion etc...

i like the spider web in the corner, too... but i also like to have a "pile" when a monster is dead... ;)

btw. we are not bound on font boundaries (128 chars for the gfx)... as monster sprites will be copied from the monster bank into 4-8 sprite banks when the level generator is running... as each floor will have max of 8 (32 chars when using 2x2) different monster sprites there is no need to keep all data in one font wasting space which can be used for some other details...

Some small improvements...

Waiting for feedback :)

Dude, awesome graphics! Is that Antic 4, 4(5) colors?

Thanks for the kind words and yes, it's mode4. The orange colour can be replaced with the blue, so you can make monsters with different colours (for example if you want to have same class monsters with different level). At least this was what I had in mind when drawing these :)

good work! it's really up to you guys... i am open for everthing... i also prefer the more darker colour which espire8 did in his first attempt... anything more Esipire what you think? Espire's style is more adult comic like imho... so its just a matter of taste. and i like PGs different sized monsters like the scorpion etc...

i like the spider web in the corner, too... but i also like to have a "pile" when a monster is dead... ;)

btw. we are not bound on font boundaries (128 chars for the gfx)... as monster sprites will be copied from the monster bank into 4-8 sprite banks when the level generator is running... as each floor will have max of 8 (32 chars when using 2x2) different monster sprites there is no need to keep all data in one font wasting space which can be used for some other details...

The new screenshot already uses a darker shade of red so perhaps here the floor wouldn't be so distracting. Especially when the enemies are moving or being animated. But I removed it on your request :).

i think its better without floor texture... but my just 2 cents...

if i have time tonight i will make some tests with your gfx and get a feeling on real tv set...

have you thought about my suggestion regarding to use PM for Armor/weapon? so you have "naked" player and we put pms over so we can have different weapon gfx? (clubs, axe, swords...etc)

i only need 1 PM right now for the hit indicator...so rest is free of usage...

i think its better without floor texture... but my just 2 cents...

if i have time tonight i will make some tests with your gfx and get a feeling on real tv set...

have you thought about my suggestion regarding to use PM for Armor/weapon? so you have "naked" player and we put pms over so we can have different weapon gfx? (clubs, axe, swords...etc)

i only need 1 PM right now for the hit indicator...so rest is free of usage...

Yes, I was thinking about it but didn't have time to try pixeling anything. Perhaps today I may save a few more minutes to try. If you could come to ICQ, we could clarify things.

Edited by pseudografx

Ok, here is the armor concept. I don't think it's too useful, because in order to make the sprite detailed, you have to change more pixels than just add a new layer. It would be probably better to redraw the whole sprite for each armor class. Reagarding weapons, you have to keep in mind that different weapons are held in a different way. You cannot hold a staff the same way as an axe.

post-6830-1183020280.png

that's true with the different weapons... but at the moment... we have clubs, axes and swords... and Espire8 draw the warrior with handing the weapon on the other side... like in the game Barbarian.

btw... i like it... now put a helm on top and we are nearly there...what i had in mind... the armor+helm could be done with one multicolour player...the other multicolour player could be the weapon and the missles are free for the hit indicator?

that's true with the different weapons... but at the moment... we have clubs, axes and swords... and Espire8 draw the warrior with handing the weapon on the other side... like in the game Barbarian.

btw... i like it... now put a helm on top and we are nearly there...what i had in mind... the armor+helm could be done with one multicolour player...the other multicolour player could be the weapon and the missles are free for the hit indicator?

And how about the hero himself? Will it be a software sprite? Btw. the hit indicator is quite poorly visible on my LCD (though this could be because of a slow response time, it's 3 years old now!). Moreover, because of the limitations you cannot display hits over 99 damage. Will this be enough in the later levels?

Btw. the above screenshot shows the hero barehanded. When he holds a weapon, the player shape would be different.

Edited by pseudografx

here will be software sprite like the monsters... i wanted to have the PMs free for fx etc...

There will be some trouble with different colours of armor and helm. We have 3 colours for this, third of which is ORed from the two base colours. Therefore we cannot just make the armor blue with red decorations and the helmet white. We have to respect the limitations (unless you want to add DLIs to make the hero more colourful), which will be quite tricky.

We will have to use colour combinations that can always be displayed correctly.

The screenshot below does not respect the limits, it's just for illustration.

post-6830-1183022349.png

could be cool? wouldnt it? even without DLIs?`

Well.... PG's graphics are really nice. But, what's really missed is sitll the "FX" of the graphics.... If only the protagonist would turn when moving left and right, and the sword was moving, the whole thing was a bit more impressive....

And, making real flashing attacks with sparkling meatl on metal .... an Ice attack which is shining blue or a fire attack which is red etc... It should all be possible by using PMG.

And, as I recommended once: The weapons should be PM also. The optical optimum ( ;-) ) was when the charmode is not overlapping, but the PM attack does.