IGNORED

Beyond Evil - now playable

Heaven/TQA

Atari native:

- Turbo basic xl for quick tests, conversions etc.

- sprconv for converting gr.15 pics into multicolour sprites

PC tools:

- g2f

- rmt

- MADS/XASM/XBOOT

- notepad ++

- charpad

- pc paint program (corel paint shop pro x)

- sio2pc

so nothing special imho.

all testing/debugging in atari800win and real 130xe with turbo freezer xe

i guess thats all...

brk. seen that in real life many times... if the game engine is crap...the gfx can not equal that...i know its a pain as you guys only see "marginal" improvements but thats the price you have to pay.... what if i had made bombastic gfx engine which needs a lot of ram/cpu and the actual game is unable to make?

Hi :!:

I spend some time playing and testing some things. As I noticed (correct me if I am wrong) the labyrinth is always the same, but game randomise in which room there are monsters to beat. But when I come to the room and see a monster, then when I step back and enter the room again there is huge probability that I see different monster than I saw just a second before. As I suppose type of monster is randomised with every enter to the room.

To eliminate this you would need to remember which monsters are in every room. But maybe you can add a rule that you can enter next room only after killing monsters in previous room. In this way a linearity will be an advantage because you need to remember only which monsters are in first "not cleaned" room. You can draw "cleaned" rooms with opened doors, and "not cleaned" with closed doors.

But if you add the rule that you can leave room (this mean also retreat to the previous room) only after killing all monsters, There will be no need to remember even "a state" of the last room. I think it could be a good solution, also to a gameplay.

Another thing. I am on the first level and after killing few monsters I can have a long sword, and heavy plate armour. I think on the first level only the weakest weapons and armours should be possible to find and buy, but best weapons available to buy should be one step better than those you can find, in order to make players collect gold to buy it. On the higher levels when monsters are harder to beat they should drop better weapons, and of course more gold.

"I spend some time playing and testing some things. As I noticed (correct me if I am wrong) the labyrinth is always the same, but game randomise in which room there are monsters to beat. But when I come to the room and see a monster, then when I step back and enter the room again there is huge probability that I see different monster than I saw just a second before. As I suppose type of monster is randomised with every enter to the room."

true. the labyrinth will be random each time you start to play. for simple debugging i switched off the complete randomness. so i can test the mapper plus the random generator. so this will be enabled in the final game of course. the amount of monsters per room are randomly generated at the beginning by the mapper and saved. but the type of monster not. so you are right that moving forth and back will cause this. i thought about that as well but it will have implications later so you have to think about carefully. its still on the roadmap to have multiple monster attacking the player...if i alloud to walk through the tower then i would need to track and save all parameters. might be possible but might lead into ram shortage and organisation overhead. i had in mind all the nintendo zelda games... even the new ones (esp. on consoles like GBA or SNES) will not save that you "cleared" a room...when you are coming back they still appear or to say it in new slang "respawn"... ;)

"To eliminate this you would need to remember which monsters are in every room. But maybe you can add a rule that you can enter next room only after killing monsters in previous room. In this way a linearity will be an advantage because you need to remember only which monsters are in first "not cleaned" room. You can draw "cleaned" rooms with opened doors, and "not cleaned" with closed doors."

how can i remember the monsters of the first "not cleaned" room if i never enter that room without clearing the prior one? and if you have a complete different room layout each time you play? but i like the idea of not being able to "escape" into next room without killing all monsters. what do the others think about it?

"But if you add the rule that you can leave room (this mean also retreat to the previous room) only after killing all monsters, There will be no need to remember even "a state" of the last room. I think it could be a good solution, also to a gameplay."

yes. i will play around with it. maybe i will post a prototype with this rules implemented to see "how this feels".

"Another thing. I am on the first level and after killing few monsters I can have a long sword, and heavy plate armour. I think on the first level only the weakest weapons and armours should be possible to find and buy, but best weapons available to buy should be one step better than those you can find, in order to make players collect gold to buy it. On the higher levels when monsters are harder to beat they should drop better weapons, and of course more gold."

valid point. as i mentioned somewhere earlier. right now the drop rate is completly random and not monster based nor do the weapons have any player level restrictions. but i tell you some secret... the first weapon tables which still are implemented all have 2 vars left for later usage...one could be monster level based (which monster is allowed to drop this weapon) or whatever. and the level cap for the weapons is already implemented but set to 1... so thats why you might get a rare item right in room #1.

but thanks for your feedback. just feed me and i think about it.

simple status report... i am just implementing my own NMI routines so i can switch off the OS to gain more RAM. i am converting the source to run without OS variables as there will be no OS service routines handling that. the only OS routine which i will copy into ram below is the print routine i am using because i do not want to rewrite that code.

small beta which is WIP... so i have implemented (but not well tested yet) the rule that you can only open doors when all monsters are killed.

maybe you can give me your feedback if this is more challenging or not. (please only to this topic as i know the glitches and other bugs already). this build is only to get a feeling for that...

diablo14.zip

ok. small update... implemented facing...so player gfx with left/right plus monster facing implemented...

next will be weapon gfx plus attack animation to implement... then we have a small but important step made.

Hi,

The walls are still constructed in a wrong way - the lower part of the wall should be shifted one char to the left or right so that the upper part ties together.

Heaven,

Looks great. I am glad that the char set has worked out so well.

I have been busy and off of the board for a while, but I am back and I see that you have made some good progress in the mean time.

Cheers,

~C~

ok. small update... implemented facing...so player gfx with left/right plus monster facing implemented...

next will be weapon gfx plus attack animation to implement... then we have a small but important step made.

PG...any chance to get a static "bar gfx" for the mana/health bar? ;) before you jump into outrun...

it really comes slowly together...

attachted new screenshot... (PG hope walls are now 99% correct). i have some gfx glitches with the pm overlays so i will not post a new binary until this is fixed.

well... i am suprised about myself that i am working on the game and my "vision" since more than 12 months in total... unbelievable.

Heaven,

Looks great. I am glad that the char set has worked out so well.

I have been busy and off of the board for a while, but I am back and I see that you have made some good progress in the mean time.

Cheers,

~C~

your charset was my kick off... as it helped me in getting into the game... but as more and more i progress the more the tile set will be adapted and exchanged... :) but thats ok imho...

oh...this damned skeleton... but i am close to hit him... ;)

Hah, cool :-)

The walls are fine now (well, maybe there except for the corner tiles that have to be slightly improved, but that's not a top priority).

Also the gates on the side walls look a bit different than on my fake screenshots.

Anyway, great job, Heaven!

PG...any chance to get a static "bar gfx" for the mana/health bar? ;) before you jump into outrun...

Ok,

Here you are :-)

I hope you like it but of course I can do any changes you wish :) Btw. I am not very good at drawing faces, but the result turned out acceptable. Anyway, if espire8 thinks he could draw a better face, he can feel free to do so.

By the way, this is the first draft and there are probably some misplaced pixels that make the actual image undisplayable on a real atari or emulator. I will fix these later.

post-6830-1183980942_thumb.png

Edited by pseudografx

Ok, here is the fixed version of the graphics. The old version had sometimes problem with white colour, which actually can't be in the same char as the red or blue color (not the one within health/mana bars but the one in the diamonds and flasks). Now the major glitches should be solved.

post-6830-1183982797_thumb.png

Edited by pseudografx