IGNORED

Beyond Evil - now playable

Heaven/TQA

thanks to my new sio2usb i have tested latest Beyond Evil build on my 130XE and 800 XL and i have to admit...not a bad game so far on real hardware but following glitches compared to Atari800Win:

- keyboard handler: pressing the same key in emulator will not be recognised in the name input ("DDDD" f.e.), on real hardware it will...

- DEL works in emulator but on real hardware the cursor jumps to line 0 hence top of the screen instead of the line where the cursor is...

so...atari800win is still not perfect even with non-sound issues but could be the pokey emulation again...

small update.

- keyboard handler fixed (it was my fault not emulator or real hardware)

as just for fun i have included one of the very early builds where the concept was different ("Beyond Evil - Arena Wars")... strange how the game turned it's direction. but actually i had fun with the "old one" as well... ;) maybe i should turn that one as well into a game... ;) source codes etc all available still...

beyond3.zip

Edited by Heaven/TQA

ok. small update made for the leveling up. it's now like in other games...when player reached new level, he can (but not must) spend points to STR,DEX and VIT. so I moved the leveling into the character info screen (as in diablo 2 and hellgate london). so the game does not get interrupted anymore.

this leads me to following issue i have in my books for so long:

when the player is attacked by more than 1 monster the players attacks are spread among the monsters depending on which monster is active per frame. so i am rethinking how this could be optimised into "attack only targeted monster".

assmume the following situation (P = player, 1+2+3+4 are monsters (max. 4 active, rest appear when <4)

.P3

any ideas how this could be made quickly? the game engine itself has always one active monster with his active sets of stats.

how does Robotron or my loved Gremlins 5200 is doing that?

My roughly idea is that i will have a marker set to the active target quadrant when fire is pressed (so player can be standing, pressing fire and attacking to the right f.e.). so the player knows where and whom he will attack. but after that i will need to make a check against all active monsters to know which one he has trying to hit...

In PC games its far more easy as the player points with the mouse to the desired monster.

and more ideas?

Edited by Heaven/TQA

I think the Robotron method works well.

Fire only = aim in last direction pointed to

Fire + direction = aim fire specifically in that direction

So, in a firefight the technique would be to mainly stand still, holding fire and directing your attack at enemies, usually in order of the threat they pose.

Maybe have some algorithm, e.g. if you direct fire up/right then 80% of the damage is inflicted in that direction, with 10% directed to the adjacent vectors to where you're pointing.

Rybags...yes...a possible solution but have to see how some aimed attack fits into the game state engine.

in meantime here is a new build with some changes and bug fixes i mentioned earlier. it's kind of fun playing the beast. it still has some issues.

when you reach new level you get a "!" sign above your character. you can spend bonus points on your STRength, DEXterity and VITality by entering the character screen (hitting "C") and spending points to the stats (S,D,V keys).

Inventory is still reached by pressing "I". Weapons can be exchanged by pressing the key in front of the weapon in the inventory screen. if you want to drop down a weapon, mark it (ok...the marker is still not visible... ;) will be fixed later) and then press SPACE.

in the main screen you can press TAB to switch between quick game info and health/mana bar gfx. SPACE let you drink a health potion.

Monsters can be hit by standing near or over them and pressing FIRE. please note that not every attack will cause a hit because your "final chance to hit" (FTH% or TO HIT% - see character screen) is based on your stats and on your weapon esp. when they are magical.

Loot can be picked up by walking over them and pressing FIRE.

Clear each room so the doors will be opened to the next room, in the last room of each floor you find a magic gate where you can walk in by pressing FIRE and then you will go to the next floor with harder monsters and more of them... as stronger the monster get as better the loot will be. (in this build i gave them a chance of 70% to drop weapons... so it might be easy... ;))

i have written that again as i have seen that the manual is not up to date but you might have a look regarding the story...

please note that it is still PAL only as NTSC is flickering and that there are still some glitches in the game... ;) but its getting better and better every day,months and year... ;)

beyond3.zip

post-528-1199564900_thumb.png

post-528-1199564908_thumb.png

post-528-1199564936_thumb.png

Edited by Heaven/TQA

Looking good!

A few comments:

1) It is hard to tell when you actually hit a monster (although the sound is nice) - perhaps it might be good to lift a page from Gateway to Apshai, and flash background (red if you are hit, green when you hit something else?); Alternatively, some sort of swish sound to indicate a miss could help cue the player that they are in the wrong spot.

2) I have been working on and off on a similar type game (or more accurately, several pieces of a similar game, someday they may get all stitched together) -- To indicate the monster currently being attacked, I am using a symbol above the monster's head (like the exclamation point above the player's head); A simple dot, circle, or crossed sword icon might work. I am actually using a life bar, but may change this at a future point.

3) I am also using a technique that the PC game "The Witcher" popularized -- rhythm, combo attacks. So, the first attack opens a combo, then the player watches the color of the select icon, when the color changes, then it is time to attack again. Up to 3 attacks + "finish move" can be chained this way, each more powerful than the last. If the player attacks too soon or too late, the combo is broken and restarts. The time between the attacks is slightly random, as is the length of the window of opportunity. These times could be modified by the skill system. (Strength to change the length between chained blows, Dex to increase the window, perhaps?)

1) Have thought about something similar already. Please have in mind that the msx/sound fx is still dummy but i find the RMT example (the sound fx) working already for the game.

maybe the I can do something with the weapon pm colours instead of flashing the screen. I even thought about a status line reserved for some combat messages.

2) not sure how this would work out as the monsters are chars... but maybe i can render the stuff into the chars. as it is planned to have special chars reserved for each sprite (for the updated sprite engine...)

3) hmmm... i know the witcher but i was under the impression that it has a realtime fighting system? as from the explanation it looks more suitable for a final fantasy game with "rounds"? but not sure if that would work for Beyond Evil. Can you post your example?

Thanks for your feedback.

Looking good!

A few comments:

1) It is hard to tell when you actually hit a monster (although the sound is nice) - perhaps it might be good to lift a page from Gateway to Apshai, and flash background (red if you are hit, green when you hit something else?); Alternatively, some sort of swish sound to indicate a miss could help cue the player that they are in the wrong spot.

2) I have been working on and off on a similar type game (or more accurately, several pieces of a similar game, someday they may get all stitched together) -- To indicate the monster currently being attacked, I am using a symbol above the monster's head (like the exclamation point above the player's head); A simple dot, circle, or crossed sword icon might work. I am actually using a life bar, but may change this at a future point.

3) I am also using a technique that the PC game "The Witcher" popularized -- rhythm, combo attacks. So, the first attack opens a combo, then the player watches the color of the select icon, when the color changes, then it is time to attack again. Up to 3 attacks + "finish move" can be chained this way, each more powerful than the last. If the player attacks too soon or too late, the combo is broken and restarts. The time between the attacks is slightly random, as is the length of the window of opportunity. These times could be modified by the skill system. (Strength to change the length between chained blows, Dex to increase the window, perhaps?)

Is it impossible to have a pixel movement instead of a character type movement?

not impossible. please have in mind that the sprite system used at the moment is just a "work in progress" as i am optimising and ironing out bugs which are caused by the game engine itself like inventory bugs f.e.

when these are gone 99% i might implement my already working pixel movement sprites. that was the reason to use the new gained space below OS/ROM. I will use some RAM as well for making the rooms nicer with more random stuff like loot, additional background gfx...

please have in mind that the sprite system used at the moment is just a "work in progress".

Ops, I've forgotten your sprite routines that you have already posted!

I hope you will be able to use them because I really don't like character based movement on computers like A8.

btw. give Arcadia Warriors on Xbox Live Arcade a try. it has this kind of Diablo light complexity I want to achieve on A8... could be a good start. it has a very simple skill tree, no points to adjust while leveling up but loot, random levels and simple quest system. you can not even drop weapons in the inventory only picking up. have a look. from look 'n feel it reminds me Fate on PC but far far simpler.

3) hmmm... i know the witcher but i was under the impression that it has a realtime fighting system? as from the explanation it looks more suitable for a final fantasy game with "rounds"? but not sure if that would work for Beyond Evil. Can you post your example?

Yes, witcher has realtime combat. The way it works, is you approach a monster -- clicking with the mouse button starts the attack. The attack animation begins, and at a certain point in the animation, the sword lights up. This is an indication it is time to click again, if you successfully click during the "window" of opportunity, then the attack continues. If you click too quickly, or too late, the chain is broken, and you need to start the attack again.

I will see if I can cobble enough source together to post a running example.

NRV...yeah... you are right played it for hours last night... ;) interesting that some of the design is somehow same like i have in mind...so i am on the right track and could be not so wrong when doing a Diablo light... ;)

and one thing i will implement in the monster state engine is the attack phase duration...all monsters having an attack phase before they are hitting (like swining the sword, casting a spell, etc...) this is quite easy to do but then i will need additional gfx animation for that...

• 3 weeks later...