IGNORED

Avalanche

johnnywc

EDIT: ROMs for the release candidate demo can be found in this post.

Hello all,

Here is a little project I worked on for a week back in May. It's a port of Atari's Avalanche. The game supports 1 or 2 player, paddles or joystick. To start a joystick game, press the joystick button. To start a paddle game, press the paddle button.

Have fun!

post-30-1184687604_thumb.png

EDIT: The latest BIN can be found in this post.

Old version (no color/bw option):

avalanche.bin

Edited by johnnywc
Added link to updated ROMs
  • Like 2

This really is an excellent port. The only difference I could see, was that the paddles don't get narrower as the game progresses (which is just fine with me - that makes the arcade version a bit too hard).

It seems like that should be technically possible. Maybe as a game option? The Color/B&W switch definitely should be supported. Just a few finishing touches like this and it will be perfect.

This really is an excellent port. The only difference I could see, was that the paddles don't get narrower as the game progresses (which is just fine with me - that makes the arcade version a bit too hard).

It seems like that should be technically possible. Maybe as a game option?

Yes - it is possible. Originally when I was making the game I did put this in but the game was too difficult (as Nathan noted). However, I did put it in as an A/B switch option (forgot to mention that in my first post). IMO, the arcade game is too difficult - it's hard enough at the end with only one paddle. If I had my way, I'd start off the level with small paddles and switch to large paddles as the game progressed - that would make the beginning of a level more challenging and the end not so difficult.

The Color/B&W switch definitely should be supported. Just a few finishing touches like this and it will be perfect.

Here's a quick update that supports color/bw (2600 only). I know the arcade was b/w, but the version I played on MAME supported color overlays (hence the color). My first version actually simulated the color overlays; however, I thought it looked better having distinct colors for each row and having the rocks stay their original color as they fell (I also changed the paddle color to be different for each player).

avalanche.bin

Have fun!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John,

I'm glad someone finally got around to doing this port. Clever use of the playfield you're using. I always imagined using the multi-sprite trick, but your way fits in a lot more rocks. :)

You're welcome! Back in May I decided to see if I could port a game in 7 days. Avalanche seemed like a good candidate and I enjoyed playing it as well. Also, it forced me to learn how to program the paddles (which I had never done).

My first solution had 20 rocks going across the entire screen (similar to Circus Atari) but I quickly switched to this mode so I could have 32 rocks per row (like the arcade). I think the bumps on top and bottom effectively give the illusion of different rocks - glad you like it!

Edited by johnnywc

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I just discovered this as part of a question I had about Kaboom and this is awesome!

I have a minor question though. Having never played the original cabinet, I didn't realize it originally made the buckets smaller as the levels increased, I agree that would make the game way too difficult. I like this way of doing the game but I just want to know if the difficulty increases at all in this version? When the screen was cleared the first time, I assumed the next wave of rocks would be slightly faster, they weren't. Or at least they didn't seem to be to me. It was like the whole game repeated, including difficulty level. I got over a thousand points on my first attempt.

Definitely not complaining, I mean I have played it several times and can only get through two complete levels of rocks, usually I die on the last hard level with one bucket. I'm just curious if the game gets progressively harder at all or does it just rinse-and-repeat?

Any chance this will be put on a cartridge to buy?

• 10 years later...

Hello all,

Here is a little project I worked on for a week back in May. It's a port of Atari's Avalanche. The game supports 1 or 2 player, paddles or joystick. To start a joystick game, press the joystick button. To start a paddle game, press the paddle button.

Have fun!

attachicon.gifavalanche.bin.png

EDIT: The latest BIN can be found in this post.

Old version (no color/bw option):

attachicon.gifavalanche.bin

Is the ROM in the first post updated today or the edit link is the updated ROM?

post-2652-0-59464800-1547512463.jpg

Hey Brian,

Is the ROM in the first post updated today or the edit link is the updated ROM?

This is the same as the ROM a few posts down; I think back in 2007 you couldn't edit the first post so I figured I do it today so anyone finding the thread today would be getting the latest.

In related news, I have started working on finishing this one up (keeping it 4K) in hopes we can give it a proper release sometime in 2019. :)

If anyone has any suggestions for improvements or game play options, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks,

John

Edited by johnnywc
  • Like 4

Thanks Steve! I didn't spend much time on this one, it started out as a proof of concept (and a way for me to learn how to program the paddles). Any suggestions for improving gameplay, game options, etc. are welcomed!

Really digging this game :thumbsup: I already like it more than Kaboom! Never seen or heard of the arcade version. I'll have to play some more and see if I can come up with some suggestions

This game needs some air time on ZeroPage Homebrew. :-D

post-21941-0-82272600-1547517641.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008
  • Like 2