IGNORED

Guitar Hero Encore: 80's Edition

keilbaca

Did anyone get it? Its amazing. Yes there's only 30 songs, but its totally worth it, if you're a fan like I am. A very sexy Judy Nails, the Grim Ripper wearing 3D glasses, the comments like, its not about how good you sing, its about how HIGH you sing, the whole thing is just priceless. Anyone else get this? I'm on Tier 5 on Expert and I haven't failed yet, in fact only 3 songs I didn't 5 star yet.

I dunno but I really think they did a totally half assed job of choosing songs. GH is only as good as the songs they let you play the game to, and you'd think with the 80's (the years of many MONSTER guitar songs), they could have done a better job. .

But yeah, I really give the soundtrack a D-. They could have done so much better. Just my opinion of course.

Yeah, I already made a thread about this... :roll: :grin:

I just got to Play With Me and got 80% through before that stupid ass solo hit and I got drowned. Not bad for my first time playing the game ever on Expert. At this point I only have 7 guitar finishes left before I'll have purchased everything.

The only other song I had much trouble with was Nothin' But A Good Time, as I was totally unprepared for the solo and didn't deploy star power fast enough. Seventeen was tough to figure out at first, but I finally got it down. I thought Caught In A Mosh was gonna kick my ass, but honestly, it's a LOT funner to play than Madhouse was. I'm also sure that I can eventually get through Play With Me, as Freebird on Expert fell to me on the very first time I played it (and, oddly enough, I haven't been able to get back through it again...).

Overall, this game gets a B+ from me for the singular reason that they included Round and Round in the track list, AND it's fun as hell to play.

Wish I could say the same for What I Like About You. Good song, SHIT play. Electric Eye also sucks towards the end. Fun up till then, and then it all falls apart.

Heh, I didn't see your thread...

I only failed two songs 1st try, Play with me at 93% and Because at Midnite, I didn't expect that kind of solo on a Tier 2 song.

NE1, Yeah I can understand where you're coming from, but you gotta understand, they can't really get any of the monster songs, being that Neversoft took over GH3 with RO, instead of Harmonix. Neversoft did say they have some monster bands for GH3, and from what I have been "hinting" from their interviews, they got AC/DC and Metallica.

At any rate, the songs don't matter to me that much because I have a disc full of custom songs that are hard as hell, and everything from Metroid Metal to Metallica. Its everything else that matters to me, like Grim wearing 3D glasses.

No Metallica in GH3, that honor goes to Rock Band. It's been suggested that since the downloadable content for RB will be in the format of complete albums, that one of the first downloadable albums (The Who will be the first) will be a Metallica record. Here's hoping that it's either Master or Justice.

No Metallica in GH3, that honor goes to Rock Band. It's been suggested that since the downloadable content for RB will be in the format of complete albums, that one of the first downloadable albums (The Who will be the first) will be a Metallica record. Here's hoping that it's either Master or Justice.

Well looks like I won't be playing Metallica outside of custom songs. I pretty much quit at play with me, and I plan on giving my painted SG along with my GH2 and GH rock the 80's to my gf. Right now, and for a while, japanese shmups have my attention. Plus it didn't help that one of the admins of Scorehero pissed me off quite much.

Either way, I'm not missing out, as when I plan on playing GH again, my custom disc has more than any gh disc to date has to offer.

Rock Band is gonna be the BOMB, though. That game is seriously gonna turn me into a shut-in.

I would get Rock Band, but I don't have a 360, and as of now, no other game has yet to get me to shell $300+ into a console, and I'm not doing so for one game. Especially with me hopefully moving soon.

Were any other old-school Activision fans thrilled with the opening logo? :-)

I sure was, when I seen it the 1st time I was like, NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE.

I just might change up some stuff so the gh2 has the old activision logo.

I'm 2 songs away from getting the log, this game is pretty easy... but it was worth the money.

Allright, after playing it non-stop this afternoon, here's my song by song assesment. They are based on the Expert difficulty.

Bang Your Head - A

Good selection and fun to play. No complaints here.

We Got The Beat - D

Ugh, BORING and a crappy song. Bleh.

I Ran - A+

Very surprised at the quality of this one. Fun to play, and a good song. Good job!

Balls To The Wall - B

Well, it's got that back and forth crap that I LOATHE, but overall, fun song nonetheless.

18 And Life - C

I seem to remember this one rocking a LOT more. The singer is absolutely terrible.

No One Like You - A

Again, good job here. Of course, everybody wanted Rock You Like A Hurricane, but then again, everybody wanted Panama in GH2 and look what we got.

Shakin' - B-

Meh. Never was a big Eddie Money fan, but this is ok.

Heat Of The Moment - D

URG, Asia? Seriously? No fun to play at ALL. It's like Harmonix has no ability to distinguish between way too easy and impossibly hard. There's no middle ground at all. Sucks ASS.

Radar Love - F

F? Yep. Green - Orange chords automatically get a huge FAIL in my book. No excuses. Plus it's BORING, as you just sit there waiting for notes, but none seem to come. Hell, give it an F- instead.

Because It's Midnite - C

I wanted to score it higher, but the insane solo in the middle destroys it. Like Trogdor (another one that was WAY to hard for what it was), it works better in theory than in practice.

Holy Diver - B+

Not bad. The 3 finger chords hurt it's score, but otherwise, it's a good song and fun. 'Bout time Ronnie James got some damn respect!

Turning Japanese - B-

Better than it should have been. Crazy song I've never been fond of, but still, fun to play.

Hold On Loosely - B

Again, not bad.

The Warrior - B

OMG, this song is so immensely cheesy, but for some reason, it's just fun to play!

I Wanna Rock - A

YES, Twisted Sister gets props. Fun, fun, fun.

What I Like About You - F-

Multiple 3 finger chords that go back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. Pass it once then NEVER touch it again.

Synchronicity II - A

Lots of fun here, and a seminal Police song.

Ballroom Blitz - C

Average.

Only A Lad - D

Ugh, sucky ass song and not a lot of fun.

Round And Round - A+

HELL YEAH, this is THE song for this game man. Love Ratt, love this song, and love playing it! If every song in the GH games had this quality to them (in terms of song quality AND fun factor), I'd never stop playing it.

Ain't Nothin' But A Good Time - F

Multiple 3 Note chords destroy this one. Poison sucks, then end.

Lonely Is The Night - C

Guess it was too controversial to put "The Stroke" in the game. Average.

Bathroom Wall - D-

Again, URG. Sucks, sucks, sucks, and no fun to play.

Los Angeles - D

Never even heard of this one before, but it surely doth sucketh.

Wrathchild - C

Dammit, why do the developers insist on picking out the obscure songs from great bands? WICKER MAN DAMMIT!

Electric Eye - F

Fun up till the last part, then it becomes almost impossible. Again with the obscure songs, too.

Police Truck - D

Easy song to play, but it sucks so bad that you never want to play it.

Seventeen - C+

Wanted to score it higher, but the completely bizarre chord progression has you back and forth constantly, which really ruins what could have been a GREAT song to play.

Caught In A Mosh - A

Wow, for a last tier song, this is actually fun! Just a couple of times in practice mode will have you kicking ass on this one.

Play With Me - F-

Shit. Pure and simple. Nuno Bettencourt suffers from "Limp Bizkit Syndrome" wherein a good guitarist is saddled with a crappy band. Borland was WAY better than Bizkit was allowing him to be, same with Bettencourt. Extreme? Not on it's best day.

Overall - B+

Some good stuff here, and nowhere near as difficult as GH2 (or even GH1 for that matter), but the crappy songs really do stand out, and that ain't a good thing.

i cant wait to get the game.....i wish they would have brought more songs to the table but some of the ones they got were awesome.

when i found out they had Ratt on it, i was like FINALLY!!!!

and great iron maiden and anthrax stuff on here.....

and to 2600Lives.....obscure iron maiden title......Wrathchild is one of the best Maiden songs around and is practically a staple in all their live shows.....

listen to the dickinson version of Wrathchild from 'Live After Death'......it'll blow you away

UP THE IRONS!!

and kudos for them including another badass Police song

i was hoping they would have included some Cure or The Smiths

oh well

Couple more things about this one.

GH is one of those games that strikes you as cool at first, but later on, when you really dig in, certain things aren't nearly as good as they first seem. For example

Ballroom Blitz - F-

Down from a D-. This is utter and complete garbage, and it's just not intuitive when you play it. The solo is way too hard for what tier it's in, and it just is a bad song overall.

Play With Me - FFFFF-----

This might possibly be the worst song in history. I'd honestly rather play Yes We Can or that stupid ass My Chemical Romance song from GH2 over and over and over than go through this one even once. What the HELL are these guys thinking sometimes? It just doesn't make sense to put such a crappy song into one of these games. OH LOOKY! The guitarist can play really, really, really fast! We gotta put that in our game so that people with injured hands won't have a chance at all! This isn't challenge, it's bullshit. If I want challenge, I'll pull out Metroid Prime or Metal Gear Solid. Those were challenging games without being immensely cheap.

The three note chords were the worst idea in HISTORY. Even worse than giving Solid Snake a bad guy named Higharolla Cockamamie.

My overall score has dropped, too. C+ at the very, VERY max, and I was considering giving it a D. Too expensive, too short, and too many crap songs. Honestly, I'm glad they took this one away from Harmonix. Maybe Neversoft can do a better job next time (though I hope that Harmonix doesn't drop the ball with Rock Band. After playing through this one, I'm not so certain anymore...). Honestly, the only real reason I even got this thing was for Round and Round (and they did a MAGNIFICENT job on that one!).

I wonder if I can get some others who have issues with their hands to join me in a huge class action lawsuit?

Well, my little finger is permanently numb due to nerve damage, but yeah, that tends to happen. My suggestion is to find a song that has a bunch of chords and go to practice mode using the slow speed. You'll eventually get it. The three finger ones take a LOT more practice, though (not so much that ones that are right next to each other, like a G-R-Y chord, but the ones that make you split your fingers. The most extreme example of this is on Dead! from GH2 for the 360, as it has G-B-O chords that I couldn't do even if my hands weren't so bad.

The hardest thing to learn is the hammer-on and pull-off, as at first it doesn't seem natural to not strum each note, but once you finally get it, you'll be hitting those fast passages with one hand while being able to scratch your butt with your strumming hand (or scratch any part of your body you please, actually).

I'll say this. You're gonna be SHOCKED at how much more difficult Hard is than Medium, but the difference between Hard and Expert isn't nearly as extreme. Expert just throws more chords and odd button progressions at you to throw you off.

I breezed through Medium with no difficulty. I 5 starred all the songs up until the last tier where I 4 starred a few. Amazingly I got a 5 star on Play With Me on the first try. Now I know what that song they played in Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure was.

Hard is a whole different story. It's not that the notes come to fast, I actually like it that way, it's the chords that are killing me. I can't do those red-orange or green-blue chords well enough. I got to Balls to the Wall and gave up for the night. Ugh.

Tempest

Yeah, Radar Love on Expert has tons of G-O chords, though at least they come at you slow so you can prepare. Still, my hands just do NOT like being put in that position.

If they absolutely had to include an Extreme song, why couldn't it have been Get The Funk Out? That right there is a fun little song. Hell, Electric Eye is hard enough to be the friggin' boss song (at least at the end). I swear there has been no other song that I've actually passed where I've been in the red so damn much.

Once you get the hang of how your fingers are supposed to go, Seventeen and Caught in a Mosh aren't all that hard, really. I'd have a far harder time playing something like Psychobilly Freakout or Institutionalized. Just save star power till the very last solo of Seventeen, as you WILL lose at 99% if you're not careful.

On a side note, they're saying that a Dragonforce song will be in GH3, and that even experts are failing it at 1-3%. Great. More insanely hard shit. Thanks, guys. Thanks a helluva lot.

Yeah, Radar Love on Expert has tons of G-O chords, though at least they come at you slow so you can prepare. Still, my hands just do NOT like being put in that position.

If they absolutely had to include an Extreme song, why couldn't it have been Get The Funk Out? That right there is a fun little song. Hell, Electric Eye is hard enough to be the friggin' boss song (at least at the end). I swear there has been no other song that I've actually passed where I've been in the red so damn much.

Once you get the hang of how your fingers are supposed to go, Seventeen and Caught in a Mosh aren't all that hard, really. I'd have a far harder time playing something like Psychobilly Freakout or Institutionalized. Just save star power till the very last solo of Seventeen, as you WILL lose at 99% if you're not careful.

On a side note, they're saying that a Dragonforce song will be in GH3, and that even experts are failing it at 1-3%. Great. More insanely hard shit. Thanks, guys. Thanks a helluva lot.

Yeah I'm good friends with a couple of the guys that went from Scorehero, in fact I'm giving Nick's ps2 a hard drive as we speak :)

I'm looking forward to it, I can pass Through Fire and Flames custom that Galiath made, so it'll be interesting how much harder this version is gonna get.

I'm getting over 150k on Play with Me on Expert, but I can't seem to break the 5 star barrier yet. I shall try again tomorrow...

Edited by keilbaca

What systems is this for? Just the PS2?

Yep! Although whether or not they decide to release the songs to XBL is unknown.

EDIT: Well I did the calculations, looks like the 5 star cutoff for Play with Me is 195k, and Caught in a Mosh is 274k. I got 50k to gain on both songs somewhere. *sighs*

Edited by keilbaca