IGNORED

Just got a PS2... Should I sell my PS1s?

I have a quick question, since I know a lot more about cart-based consoles than Playstations. I got a pretty good deal on a PS2 this week. I went ahead and bought it, figuring I could help finance its purchase by selling my two original Playstations. I know they aren't worth much, but I also figure they aren't going to go up in value either. I expect they could probably bring me half the cost of the PS2.

All of my Playstation games play fine on the PS2. I know there are a handful of titles that won't run, but I don't have any of them. Is it safe for me to go ahead and dump my original Playstations, and if and when I ever get some of the titles that don't work (is there a list somewhere?), I'll just hold them until I find a working PS1 at a price I can't refuse?

Thanks,

Dave

I'm with the majority here on keeping one of your PS1's. The first thing that happens when a PS2 laser goes is that it stops playing CD-based games. Also if you ever decide to get any games that won't play on the PS2 you have a PS1 to play them. Finally if you ever hook up the PS2 via component cables, PS1 games won't output video.

Edited by MCHufnagel

Keep one of them, especially if you have a little PSOne. They make great "spare" consoles when you have to go off to conferences / weddings / etc. for when you're waiting around. If there's nothing else to do in the evening, beer and Tekken's always a good back-up plan.

Finally if you ever hook up the PS2 via component cables, PS1 games won't output video.

I was not aware of this. That's kind of a bummer, actually. So I would have to switch cables on the PS2 to composite, what a pain in the ass.....

Thats why I keep my PS1 hooked up via S-video. Only one PS1 game I have works via PS2 component and that is the first Gran Turismo. There may be some others that I don't have that work. But I do have over 100 PS1 games.

PS1 value is pretty low, I would compare it to the Genesis. Although it's still popular most people who want one already own one. It's one of the few systems I see people passing on at garage sales, including myself. Unless you have the cool one with the built in LCD you are only looking at a few bucks, do what Shawn Sr said and trade it for something.....maybe a few PS2 games?

100% please keep your PS1, because the PS2 will have problems playing certain games. Games like MK Trilogy will not run correctly on the PS2. If you import games from Japan, Gradius Gaiden, Gradius Deluxe Pack, and Toaplan Shooting Battle 1 will have problems.

PS2's output PSOne games just fine over component.

Maybe the tv you use doesn't like the low resolution PSOne signals over component? Some tv's don't, and it affects some PS2 games like Ico.

I know of others who have had this problem. But I will try it out on my Sony HDTV. The one we use for gaming is a lower priced Olevia and that might make a difference.