IGNORED

Finally played the Metal Slug Collection for the Wii.

jboypacman

Agreed... it is fun with the Wii controls... I like the NES remote style where you shake the controller to toss grenades... and now that I have my Wavebird, I can use a GC controller for full 'arcade' controls.

I've played through 1 and 2 and replayed them to see how well I can do... saving the later titles for future playing. :)

Has it been censored in any way and do you have access to an options screen to set # of lives and difficulty etc.?

I wouldn't know how it would be censored... I didn't play enough of the arcade versions to note anything being changed for this version. Can't help you on that question.

There is an options screen though where you can change the number of continues (default is unlimited) and there is a difficulty option as well.

I must say I like how the game tells you how many continues (quarters I would say) you used when you beat the game. Gives me something to shoot for in terms of lowering my continues used.

Has it been censored in any way and do you have access to an options screen to set # of lives and difficulty etc.?

It doesn't appear to be and has the red blood by default. Difficulty and continues are set at the global menu, no arcade DIP type menu.

The Wii remote sucks for this game, forcing you to use the GC controller. No classic controller support. WTF

The game also for some ungodly reason doesn't support 480p, and will look like nice and smeary as a result on nice HDTVs. Shame, I thought the bad old 'cube days were behind us, guess not.

Gameplay is classic Metal Slug goodness.

Edited by remowilliams

The Wii remote sucks for this game, forcing you to use the GC controller. No classic controller support. WTF

It's interesting, but yeah. I think SNK was saying that whatever they needed to integrate the Classic in time wasn't made available to them unitl too late. I'd very much recommend the Hori SNES-esque pad for GCN if you have / can find one. That or a straight-up arcade stick'd do it.

It's interesting, but yeah. I think SNK was saying that whatever they needed to integrate the Classic in time wasn't made available to them unitl too late. I'd very much recommend the Hori SNES-esque pad for GCN if you have / can find one. That or a straight-up arcade stick'd do it.

except the gamecube Dpad is not supported, you are forced to use the analog stick

As someone who owns an MVS setup, I find holding the Wii-mote NES style really isn't that bad. And Metal Slug 2 no longer suffers from slowdown, so you can finally see how crazily animated it really is. All in all it's a really nice collection IMHO.

PROTIP: If you finish finished all the games with limited credits (on both easy and hard) you unlock the final items in the gallery...

Cheers,

Ben

The only games that's worth it was 1, 2, 3 and 6.

I thought X was pretty good as well?

X was good. Came off on me as something like a remix of 2, only it tends to change things up just enough so that if you're comfortable with 2, it doesn't matter much.

Overall it's a great collection of action sidescrollers. :D

Where along the lines does 'X' happen? All I remember is seeing Metal Slug at the arcades and for quite some time, I thought it was the same game... then when I saw 4 or 5 I realized that there were more than one (foolish me I know).

Just wondering when X came out and if it was like 3and a half or something to that effect.

X is the worst of the series in a way. There was sort of a storyline from 1 to 2 to 3. X doesn't have any storyline. It's just a mish mash of graphics and characters from earlier games randomly tossed together. I read it was only released because of complaints about the massive slowdown in the then recent MS2. It's not a remake of MS2 though. When I play the series, I skip right past X. There's no point to playing X at home because the home consoles/PC's don't suffer from the MVS slowdown X was released to remedy.

Just wondering when X came out and if it was like 3and a half or something to that effect.

Metal Slug 2.5, actually. From what I remember from playing it not too long ago, it's basically just a retelling of 2 with redone levels. Still a good game (and I liked X over 2, myself).

Good stuff... well I guess a play through of 1 and 2 again (maybe a couple rounds of 2) and then on to X.