IGNORED

Premiums Now Come with HDMI

StormSurge

Hmm - that AV cable doesn't have optical out on it, which my fatter one here does. Maybe thats the difference.

It has optical out on it.

Actually I am not using the optical out and don't plan on it. If they have another version of the cable as long as it has the regular video cables out I will swap out cables if someone needs them. I'm not sure how expensive the cables would be otherwise.

Edited by moycon

It has optical out on it.

So it must be in that breakout bulge then. If Al has a cable like mine - he wouldn't be able to plug both in.

Didn't bother me that the 360 didn't have wireless, I knew that going in and I tend to cable everything anyhow. And I'd never hook a system into a PC for an ethernet bridge. Ghetto. :P

Handy that my Wii has wireless, but not so handy that Nintendo put that in and forgot online gaming. :lol:

Edited by remowilliams

Not sure how the ports are on the new system, but the Elite model, I have no issues setting mine up like you are describing using the cables that came with the system. In fact they line up perfectly. I'll attach a picture. How do these new premium models differ??

The port placement is the same, but the connector on the A/V cable I have is much taller than the one in your picture. This octopus cable has the component video outputs, composite video output, stereo a/v outputs, and on the connector itself an optical audio output (which is what I was hoping to use). It is physically impossible to use the HDMI port with this big-ass connector plugged into the big-ass A/V jack above the HDMI port. What a piss-poor design.

Also the wireless adapter can be found cheaper then $100. I picked up one for like $65 off Amazon from a seller. There's one for sale on there now for $69.99. (Still not cheap, I know)

I would get an ethernet to wireless bridge before I'd spend even $70 on Microsoft's wireless adapter. That is just crazy money for something that should be only $20.

..Al

Strike one against Microsoft: Due to the ENORMOUS connector for the component A/V cables included with the system, I cannot plug in the HDMI cable at the same time. This means I cannot get audio output if I use the HDMI cable, since I do not have an A/V receiver with HDMI inputs. I was going to use the optical out that's on the A/V connector but that's a no-go since I can't plug both cables in at the same time. Pure genius. :(

..Al

Will there be much loss in audio if you run HDMI through the TV and from that use optical out to the A/V unit?

To be honest, unless you have a 1080p HDTV, HDMI isn't better for gaming. I can see using it for the HD-DVD unit because of the worry of HDCP. But for me, VGA out looks great. And there are a few HDTV's that do 1080p via VGA. As far as Wi-Fi, it does suck that my $130 DS has it and my $400 X360 doesn't.

It is physically impossible to use the HDMI port with this big-ass connector plugged into the big-ass A/V jack above the HDMI port. What a piss-poor design.

That is odd. The cable I'm using came with the Elite version. I'd switch with you but it sounds like the issue is with the part that plugs into the unit? Hmmm I just checked my older unit and now I see exactly what you are talking about. I know your discouraged, me personally, I would go buy the new version of the cable I have from like Best Buy, and then return it, swapping the cables.

Edited by moycon

The port placement is the same, but the connector on the A/V cable I have is much taller than the one in your picture.

Yup, that clinches it - there must be more than one AV cable design. The old MK1 (fat w/optical right at the connector) and the new like moycon has there. Not so much poor design, as MS probably packing old stock cables in.

Good news for me though, so that Elite is still on the prospective buy list. :D

Will there be much loss in audio if you run HDMI through the TV and from that use optical out to the A/V unit?

I am running the HDMI through a projector, which has no audio output at all. In fact, the projector doesn't even have HDMI input, it has a bastardized DVI input (an M1 connector) that does not carry audio. I'm using an HDMI->M1 adapter for that purpose.

To be honest, unless you have a 1080p HDTV, HDMI isn't better for gaming. I can see using it for the HD-DVD unit because of the worry of HDCP. But for me, VGA out looks great. And there are a few HDTV's that do 1080p via VGA. As far as Wi-Fi, it does suck that my $130 DS has it and my $400 X360 doesn't.

The main reason I wanted to use the HDMI output right now is I have three other HDMI devices and I am switching them with a 5-port HDMI switcher, since the projector only has one digital video input. However, the projector also has component input so I'm simply using that with the 360 for now until I can figure out a way to use the 360's HDMI output. Not a big deal right now, especially since I don't have a 1080p display device. :)

..Al

The main reason I wanted to use the HDMI output right now is I have three other HDMI devices and I am switching them with a 5-port HDMI switcher

Sweet, which one are you using? I'll probably be in the market for one of those sooner than later.

Edited by remowilliams

The port placement is the same, but the connector on the A/V cable I have is much taller than the one in your picture.

Yup, that clinches it - there must be more than one AV cable design. The old MK1 (fat w/optical right at the connector) and the new like moycon has there. Not so much poor design, as MS probably packing old stock cables in.

Good news for me though, so that Elite is still on the prospective buy list. :D

Well that's special. :roll: Do both cables have the same outputs? I see Moycon's cable looks like it has another plastic block in the cable--is this where the optical out is? I'll have to take a picture of this one.

..Al

The main reason I wanted to use the HDMI output right now is I have three other HDMI devices and I am switching them with a 5-port HDMI switcher

Sweet, which one are you using? I'll probably be in the market for one of those sooner than later.

I'm using one from MonoPrice.com:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product....at=2&style=

Damn, that's come down in price since I bought mine. I believe I paid nearly $100 for it.

..Al

I agree it's using up old stock, but surely it's a mistake.

I'm betting if you contact support and raise a bitch they would send a new cable maybe.

Just not so sure if it wouldn't be quicker to swap em out, if they sell that new version.

I see Moycon's cable looks like it has another plastic block in the cable--is this where the optical out is? I'll have to take a picture of this one.

..Al

No need. I have the old cable you are talking about. It came with my original premium 360.

Yes the new version has a thinner plug and the ports out are on that fatter block a few inches down.

Thing is they shouldn't be selling the new version with that old cable, It defies logic.

I'm betting if you contact support and raise a bitch they would send a new cable maybe.

Just not so sure if it wouldn't be quicker to swap em out, if they sell that new version.

Yeah, that is strange but I'm sure they are just using up old stock. I will call customer service and see if they will send me a new cable but I am not going to hold my breath on that. Maybe someone would be willing to swap a cable with me. I'm not too keen on trying to swap one out from the store, and if they use blister packs for them it probably would not be easy to do so.

..Al

Yeah, that is strange but I'm sure they are just using up old stock. I will call customer service and see if they will send me a new cable but I am not going to hold my breath on that. Maybe someone would be willing to swap a cable with me. I'm not too keen on trying to swap one out from the store, and if they use blister packs for them it probably would not be easy to do so.

..Al

I've looked online and don't see where you can purchase the new cable.

Me personally, I'd call support and explain the situation and see what they can do to fix it.

I wouldn't settle for anything less than them sending me the newer cable, even if I had to open a case on the issue and call everyday and demand they correct my problem.

I wouldn't think it would come to that tho.

I've called support several times and you can usually get what you want (as long as you keep your head.)

This is a major problem they need to fix or give you your $$$ back. A HDMI port is worthless if you can't use it.

I can't blame you for being pissed. Hopefully after you have the system hooked up the way you want it, you'll see a positive or two (or more?), instead of strikes.

Edited by moycon

Don't think I saw it mentioned, but you can use most any wireless adapter on a Xbox 360 I've heard, if your still interested in hooking it up wirelessly band don't want to pay MS's crazy prices on their own adapter.

Yeah, if I need to hook it up at some point via wireless I would definitely go with a third party ethernet to wireless bridge and not Microsoft's overpriced solution. It's too bad USB to wireless bridges don't seem to be supported, as I have at least one of those laying about that I used to use with a TiVo. I was able to get the 360 online by sharing a connection through a Mac Mini, but it wasn't as simple as it should have been (thanks Microsoft!) A nice reminder as to why I no longer use Microsoft Windows..

..Al

A nice reminder as to why I no longer use Microsoft Windows..

..Al

That's kind of a double edge sword though, if you had been using MS windows, you probably would have no issues.

I hooked my 360 up to my $30 wireless router/switch and let it talk to my Compaq desk top I bought about a year ago running XP media Center 2005 and it took like 2 minutes... if that. :(

(and then like an hour to populate the media due to the amount of MP3's and video's I have)

No doubt it's lame that they made it so difficult to use the system with an OS other then the one they would sell you, but I'm thinking they probably don't give much thought to making it as easy to attach to an OS of a competitor. I'm not sure why you are trying to interface an MS product directly with Apple anyways. Are you plugging the 360 directly into the Mac? And if so.. why? You know the two don't get along.

Edited by moycon

A nice reminder as to why I no longer use Microsoft Windows..

..Al

That's kind of a double edge sword though, if you had been using MS windows, you probably would have no issues.

I hooked my 360 up to my $30 wireless router/switch and let it talk to my Compaq desk top I bought about a year ago running XP media Center 2005 and it took like 2 minutes... if that. :(

(and then like an hour to populate the media due to the amount of MP3's and video's I have)

No doubt it's lame that they made it so difficult to use the system with an OS other then the one they would sell you, but I'm thinking they probably don't give much thought to making it as easy to attach to an OS of a competitor. I'm not sure why you are trying to interface an MS product directly with Apple anyways. Are you plugging the 360 directly into the Mac? And if so.. why? You know the two don't get along.

It should not matter at all, I have done this before with other computers, including PC laptops and have never had an issue. In this case the Mac is acting as a router, providing DHCP services through the computer's Ethernet jack. It should have been a simple "plug and play" issue, but of course it wasn't. OS X has excellent network support, and is typically MUCH easier to setup than Windows networking. OS X operates seamlessly with Windows machines over a network and even has built-in SAMBA support so Windows machines can browse OS X boxes and resources (such as printers). No idea why you have to jump through hoops to use the 360 in this fashion, but I can't say I'm too surprised.

..Al

It should not matter at all, I have done this before with other computers, including PC laptops and have never had an issue. In this case the Mac is acting as a router, providing DHCP services through the computer's Ethernet jack. It should have been a simple "plug and play" issue, but of course it wasn't. OS X has excellent network support, and is typically MUCH easier to setup than Windows networking. OS X operates seamlessly with Windows machines over a network and even has built-in SAMBA support so Windows machines can browse OS X boxes and resources (such as printers). No idea why you have to jump through hoops to use the 360 in this fashion, but I can't say I'm too surprised.

..Al

It might be a competition thing then? I dunno. Originally I had my original 360 set up through my Compaq. I had the DSL connection plugged into the PC via USB, and then the 360 hard-wired into the PC through the ethernet port and the ethernet connection bridged to the internet connection and had no issues...connecting anyways. ( I never could get the 360 to pick up songs and video's without opening Media Player that way, altho admittedly that might have been my fault) Now come on... you can't get more rigged up then that.

I usually find that while I troubleshoot issues for sometimes what seems like hours at a time, the solution in the end takes 5 seconds to correct. I'm not saying your gripes aren't valid, but I have had issues with all three new consoles (and have spent many many a minute or two...or a hundred and twenty, getting them set up just like I wan't em) ...the 360 hasn't been any different then the Wii or the PS3. (Actually I have yet to get the PS3 the way I want it, altho I don't blame Sony)

Just don't feel too bad, some folks are just more particular than others. The great thing is, we all have a valuable resource to help set all this high tech junk up.... Right here at AA.

I really hope you get your system set up exactly the way you want to and for the $$ spent you should expect nothing less.

I consider myself particular, but I don't think I've had half the gripes you have. I'm not gonna say I'm any kind of expert on the 360, but currently it's my favorite system, and I've spent many a minute or two setting it up. I'll try and help out any way I can. It might be hard tho...The last MAC I've owned, (and still own) is a Macintosh LC II ! (Circa early 1990?)

• 2 weeks later...
I've looked online and don't see where you can purchase the new cable.

Me personally, I'd call support and explain the situation and see what they can do to fix it.

I wouldn't settle for anything less than them sending me the newer cable, even if I had to open a case on the issue and call everyday and demand they correct my problem.

I wouldn't think it would come to that tho.

I've called support several times and you can usually get what you want (as long as you keep your head.)

This is a major problem they need to fix or give you your $$$ back. A HDMI port is worthless if you can't use it.

I can't blame you for being pissed. Hopefully after you have the system hooked up the way you want it, you'll see a positive or two (or more?), instead of strikes.

MS HDMI Cable

Other people have called MS about this cable problem:

well, I called MS..got a nice woman in the USA.....she agreed, its ridiculous to give the premium an HDMI port....and then charge another 50 to get the dongle and cable....

She said they do not offer it seperately.......

Seems MS has problems getting anything right :(

Mendon

Edited by Mendon