IGNORED

Eye of the Beholder For Sale/Trade?

Tempest

Since I've received several inquires about my EotB prototype over the last year, I've finally decided to dig it out. Since I can't make copies of it and sell them, I've decided to sell or trade the actual prototype itself to someone who might be able to do something with it. This game deserves a better fate than sitting in my Lynx collection.

As far as I know, the game is complete. The person whom I got it from said he got close to the end, but never beat it. I've toyed with it, and don't see anything missing. This version also has RAM back up for saving/loading games. I've tested this and it does indeed work. Here's a picture of the prototype itself:

EOB.jpg

If anyone is interested in this prototype let me know. I'll either sell it (don't waste my time with low ball offers please), or trade it for something rare or maybe just something interesting (like a nice MSX2 or SV-328 setup).

Tempest

Tempest... you know what my offer is. (did you get that last PM of mine?) You know I've been sniffing about this for a while now so please keep me in the loop prior to selling!!!

EMOneGarand: I agree. My whole take on this is very simple: If I get the game, if by chance I can get it, my plans are to document the hell out of it. There really isn't a lot of information regarding the game, its levels, and whatnot. I was thinking about even creating a website, and simply doing a playthrough with screen shots, possibly video of the gameplay, etc etc.

It would be the jewel of any Lynx collector. That's why I've been asking about it for over a year now.

Carl? Songbird? That can't happen if I remember all of the discussions about it. It would be nice... but doubtful.

The only chance it would happen is if someone overseas did it... and doesn't get busted. I'm sure there are other ways, but I don't know if it would be considered 'ethical'

Probably all that is required is to not ASK permission, since TSR/WoTC aren't going to give it, but probably don't care one way or another that EoTB is being sold for the Lynx. If they do care, I find that really wierd. They don't have much to lose by just ignoring it, as their copyrights are still intact, even their trademarks wouldn't be in jeopardy.

Probably all that is required is to not ASK permission, since TSR/WoTC aren't going to give it, but probably don't care one way or another that EoTB is being sold for the Lynx. If they do care, I find that really wierd. They don't have much to lose by just ignoring it, as their copyrights are still intact, even their trademarks wouldn't be in jeopardy.

There's always one person who goes an taddles on you. Trust me. I just don't want to take the risk. I someone else does, that's great. Go for it! That's one of the reasons I've decided to sell it.

Tempest

Tempest is right.

Prime example: Gorf for Jaguar cd

If I recall... someone opened their mouth on that one. If this one is released: It would happen again. I'm sure of it. But I also know if someone took that chance... and if I was not able to grab the prototype... I'd buy a copy for sure. I got to have one for my collection. One way or the other.

I'd be really stoked to start a website to document this game! That in itself is a treat.... cause I know others are dying to hear more about the game, the gameplay, etc.

Why are people willing to sell the demo of this game so care free? Is there really a big difference in selling the demo and selling the completed version as far as copyrights/legal issues go? Couldn't the name be changed or something for sale purposes, maybe make a cheap box or something with a different name on it? I can't see this becoming that big of a deal, at most probably the same deal as Sabotuer but I would highly doubt a lawsuit or anything even if someone did complain. Probably a stearn warning at best. If a run of 50-100 were made they would most likely sell before any problems happened anyways you would think. I know that www.atarisales.com sells a lot of reproduction Lynx prototype games, do they have permission? Maybe they would be interested in selling this one commercially? I hope this post does not come off as rude or anything because it is not meant to be. I just really want to play this game and it annoys me that I probably will never be able to.

Why are people willing to sell the demo of this game so care free? Is there really a big difference in selling the demo and selling the completed version as far as copyrights/legal issues go? Couldn't the name be changed or something for sale purposes, maybe make a cheap box or something with a different name on it? I can't see this becoming that big of a deal, at most probably the same deal as Sabotuer but I would highly doubt a lawsuit or anything even if someone did complain. Probably a stearn warning at best. If a run of 50-100 were made they would most likely sell before any problems happened anyways you would think. I know that www.atarisales.com sells a lot of reproduction Lynx prototype games, do they have permission? Maybe they would be interested in selling this one commercially? I hope this post does not come off as rude or anything because it is not meant to be. I just really want to play this game and it annoys me that I probably will never be able to.

Not rude at all.

My honest opinions of this game: I wish it could be released for everyone. I think a 50-100 would be great. I personally would love to have the prototype for myself... but I am one of those that also believe that if this game could get to the community... I'm all for it. I think I'd be a little scared like Tempest is. I personally wouldn't want any issues. But... with the right contacts anything can happen. There are a lot of other protos that are out there that could follow suit. A gentleman in this thread has the baseball game we'd all like to see (or at least I think that was the rumor).

I don't think a lawsuit would come of this. But it is still something you never really know about. I think the Demo that is being sold is in a gray area because it is being sold overseas. Perhaps we should see if Lars can produce the game?!

Either way... there is an opportunity here for the gaming community to finally see light of the game. If it can't happen through a release... then by god... a website filled with the ins and outs would work! LOL

I'll support any efforts made to get this game out there. In some shape, way or form.

Imagine what you mentioned CC... a boxed Eye of the Beholder cart, with a nice manual, perhaps a poster even... all packaged and shipped to your door. That would be great! All I know is that the first carts released should have some distinguishing factor so that people know they are the first run.

Here's a question for those that are in the know:

A few copies were produced a while back. I believe it was less than a handful (I'd have to pull up an email from Harry to see what he mentioned). But were those copies able to use the save feature? I couldn't imaguine this game not having a save feature.

I'm going to keep this open until Monday night. Right now I have an offer of $1,000 that I'm inclined to take, but I wanted everyone who wants a crack at this to have a chance. So far everyone who has expressed interest in the prototype wants to release it, so no matter who gets it, I think it will get released to public.

Tempest

A few copies were produced a while back. I believe it was less than a handful (I'd have to pull up an email from Harry to see what he mentioned). But were those copies able to use the save feature? I couldn't imaguine this game not having a save feature.

I am in the process of making a new type of a cart for the Lynx. I also have two RAM-carts where the whole cart is Read/Write enabled and it can hold the data by a supercap for a few hours. Does anyone know what the address space for the RAM on the EOTB cart is? The best way would be to make blank carts with RAM and flash. At this point in time it would be easy to add a small RAM chip. Then it is up to the user to do the flashing of the game on the cart.

--

Karri

I am in the process of making a new type of a cart for the Lynx. I also have two RAM-carts where the whole cart is Read/Write enabled and it can hold the data by a supercap for a few hours. Does anyone know what the address space for the RAM on the EOTB cart is? The best way would be to make blank carts with RAM and flash. At this point in time it would be easy to add a small RAM chip. Then it is up to the user to do the flashing of the game on the cart.

--

Karri

I think Harry still has the diagrams for the boards he had made up for a few copies of EotB. I'm not really sure that is what you are needing.

Have any of you thought about splitting the cost in order to ensure it gets out to the public? The owner of the cart could ask for say half of what he paid for in order to start production costs? Just an idea. What was the start-up costs for the recent game Songbird did (the multigame one)? Wasn't it $500?

I'm going to keep this open until Monday night. Right now I have an offer of $1,000 that I'm inclined to take, but I wanted everyone who wants a crack at this to have a chance. So far everyone who has expressed interest in the prototype wants to release it, so no matter who gets it, I think it will get released to public.

Tempest

WOW!! i never check these forums and by chance see that you are selling this proto,im very interested in it and tempted to bid,who is the highest bidder? will they "Guarantee" its release ??? if not im wanting to bid on it too!! :cool:

one of the problems being that i suspect some ppl will say they will release it just to get their hands on it.

it would be a real shame if that was to happen and it did not get a release :(

of course you cant make some1 release it but itd be nice to know if they had the knowhow/ability to make it happen.

i know nothing at all about these things so i wont be putting in an offer ,altho id love to have it.

one of the problems being that i suspect some ppl will say they will release it just to get their hands on it.

of course you cant make some1 release it but itd be nice to know if they had the knowhow/ability to make it happen.

i know nothing at all about these things so i wont be putting in an offer ,altho id love to have it.

humm, there are a few who have these protos,none i know will sell them.....im curious why you cant sell the complete version but yet people are selling the demo on ebay,lol,whats the difference??? just send one of them guys a copy of it,im sure somebody will take the chance,lol......"the almighty dollar"......lol.......im sure/know copies could be made easily....finding the person to sell them cant be that hard either,lol,im sure SS4U would sell em' for instance!!!LOL.. :cool:

humm, there are a few who have these protos,none i know will sell them.....im curious why you cant sell the complete version but yet people are selling the demo on ebay,lol,whats the difference??? just send one of them guys a copy of it,im sure somebody will take the chance,lol......"the almighty dollar"......lol.......im sure/know copies could be made easily....finding the person to sell them cant be that hard either,lol,im sure SS4U would sell em' for instance!!!LOL.. :cool:

why couldnt you just call the complete version demo #2 or something???? :cool:

Well obviously I can't guarantee that the person with the high bid (whom I won't name unless they want to make that information public) will release the game, but from what I know of them I would trust them to release it.

I'm going to keep this open through tomorrow night, so if you're interested send me a PM.

Tempest

Well obviously I can't guarantee that the person with the high bid (whom I won't name unless they want to make that information public) will release the game, but from what I know of them I would trust them to release it.

I'm going to keep this open through tomorrow night, so if you're interested send me a PM.

Tempest

That is a very reassuring and uplifting thought! I hope it doesn't go into hiding for too long.

:)

So far everyone who has expressed interest in the prototype wants to release it, so no matter who gets it, I think it will get released to public.

Tempest

Woo Hoo!!! :D :)

To the bloke who buys this proto... I'll buy a copy! Just gotta know when and how much! :D

Cheers,

Smeg