IGNORED

Desert Falcon... so bad?

_Fandal_

Hi!

I'm working on file version of 64kB XEGS cart "Desert Falcon" and I was really surprised how bad this game is. I've neved played Desert Falcon on A8 before so it really was a shock. It looks more like unfinished proto.

In another thread someone said that it really is a proto, which somehow got to selling instead of a finished version. I hope it still exists somewhere.

Hi!

I'm working on file version of 64kB XEGS cart "Desert Falcon" and I was really surprised how bad this game is. I've neved played Desert Falcon on A8 before so it really was a shock. It looks more like unfinished proto.

In another thread someone said that it really is a proto, which somehow got to selling instead of a finished version. I hope it still exists somewhere.

Actually, if someone was able to just fix the scrolling problem it would make a huge difference in the playability.

(in my eyes Thunderfox is also quite bad)

It's not bad, it's just FREAKIN' HARD! I can't last more than a few minutes in that game.

Tempest

Geez - same here. I want so badly to like Thunderfox but it's so F*&^ing difficult that I usually turn it off and chuck it back in the closet. Once a year or so, I seem to forget the difficulty and decide to try again without results that differ. ;-) I wish it had a secret invincibility mode so I could at least see what all the levels look like.

WDWII blows compared to the real A8 Commado - NO contest!!!

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "WDWII" stand for?

I liked the Atari 8-bit Commando too. Nice effort. Scupltured Software did a really good conversion both the XE and 7800 versions and I wished Atari used them for more games.

Hi!

Actually, if someone was able to just fix the scrolling problem it would make a huge difference in the playability.

Well, I have source of Desert Falcon but I'm not sure what exactly do you call "scrolling problem". Do you mean problem with displaying falcon or what?

F.

Hi!

Well, I have source of Desert Falcon but I'm not sure what exactly do you call "scrolling problem". Do you mean problem with displaying falcon or what?

F.

Well, I have only played it in emulation, but the scrolling seems to be quite a bit jerky.

Well, I have only played it in emulation, but the scrolling seems to be quite a bit jerky.

This is caused only by some unachieved programming skills.

When the falcon is walking, the scrolling always "jumps" with it.

With a litle more achievement, the falcon could walk in a range of the screen and the scrolling does some 1/3 screen movement, the jerkyness really was gone.

Yes, it's jerky. And I don't think it can be fixed as the game engine simply doesn't use any synchro. VBI is disabled and sometimes a lot of data is being moved and it can't be done in one frame.

F.

Yes, it's jerky. And I don't think it can be fixed as the game engine simply doesn't use any synchro. VBI is disabled and sometimes a lot of data is being moved and it can't be done in one frame.

Too bad. It's just too hard on my eyes with all that jiggling around. I can only play it for a few minutes at a time.

Edited by MrFish