IGNORED

What the Hell is wrong with Red Steel's Graphics?

ManShowBoy

I think they are great with some of the best lighting effects I have ever seen in a game. Do I need to clean my glasses or do I just have a poor graphical eye? I seem to be the only guy who thinks that Red Steel graphics look boarderline amazing.

The graphics might be slightly grainy but other than that they seem awesome with a lot of style. I'm about half way through the game and have noticed several things that make this game cool.

#1:Levels

I like the levels a lot. The whole Japanese feel is great and I find myself just looking around at all the nice furniture and architecture. The message parlor was great with interesting looking rooms and steam effects from the sana room. It almost brings a tear to my eye to see of this great stuff completely destroyed after a satisfying gun fight :) The level im at now had me hopping into a dumpster hanging from a pulley in the air, I has hidding inside of it blasting foes while it moved around. To me that was way awesome.

#2 Destructable items:

It's just so fun to blasts a bunch of rounds off destroying everything you come in contact with. There was one merorable part so far that had a guy standing in front of a glass elevator. I had a magnum and shot him only to see him fly back from the impact and smash through the glass to his death. That was another thing that makes this my all time favorite shooter.

and finally the graphics.

Everybody seems to just look at a games textures and say "oh that game looks like crap" but what about the lighting?the framrate which it runs when the gun fights get crazy? what about all the stuff moving around in the levels? The explosions? God I could go on and on about why I love this game and why I think the graphics are amazing.

As you can probaley tell I love Red Steel. I love it so much so that I' pretty sure with myself that this is the greatest FPS and game that I have ever played in my life. I also play this with the Pega light gun attactment and it just makes Red Steel even that much greater.

Edited by ManShowBoy

No one in the history of the Wii has complained about Red Steel's graphics, levels and items, so who exactly is this question directed to and why are you trying to defend it for those reasons?

Red Steel sucks to high heaven for sure, but not because of any of that.

The game sucks because it controls like dick.

I will say this, based on your post, you've played maybe 2 or 3 FPS including Red Steel, because if in your honest opinions it's one of the best you've experienced that's the only explanation. :P

But don't let that stop you enjoying. I like a few games most people feel are terrible myself.

No one in the history of the Wii has complained about Red Steel's graphics, levels and items, so who exactly is this question directed to and why are you trying to defend it for those reasons?

Red Steel sucks to high heaven for sure, but not because of any of that.

The game sucks because it controls like dick.

I will say this, based on your post, you've played maybe 2 or 3 FPS including Red Steel, because if in your honest opinions it's one of the best you've experienced that's the only explanation. :P

But don't let that stop you enjoying. I like a few games most people feel are terrible myself.

Every review of Red Steel I have seen/read has ragged on the graphics, so I guess i'm directing it too the reviewers, like gamespot and such...

I thought it controlled like crap too when I first played it, but after getting use to the controls and fiddling with the sensor bar/sensitivity I managed to find a sweet spot for controlling the gun. Maybe you just need to make a few adjustments to make it control better. I have found out that the closer you put the sensor bar to the tv screen the more it mimicks real hand moments on the screen.

Actaully I have played a lot of FPS's. It's my favorite genre and have only missed playing a few.

Red Steel just clicked with me.

Edited by ManShowBoy

They probably complained about the graphics at that time because it was 2006 , all the next gen console were on the market, and all the games Nintendo had on the plate were games that had last generation graphics in spite for the fact that, as any Wii fan will tell you, it's capable of graphics 1000x better than the Gamecube because (I think) of blast processing.

Now the reviewers don't complain as much because they got used to it I guess and they just focus on the control more.

I haven't picked up Red Steel yet and will have to give it a go one day. I've read good and bad reviews of the game. I did talk to the local EB Manager and the best description he could give me was it was quite like a game where you moved like an FPS but when you got to a shooting sequence it was more like a light gun game.

At any rate, thanks for posting your thoughts on the title... it gives me a little more interest in the title. :)

Any complaining about the graphics would be because, well they suck. Add to the fact that everyone and their mother was pushing this game as the 'Wii can do current gen graphics!' savior, when in fact what was delivered was something less than last gen.

I did talk to the local EB Manager and the best description he could give me was it was quite like a game where you moved like an FPS but when you got to a shooting sequence it was more like a light gun game.

You know how everyone complains (or did anyway) about rail based light gun games? Well imagine they finally took you off the rails and it was very bad. The control on this game is abominable. A game like RE4 has an FPS/light gun sort of vibe that adds immensely to the experience. RS is the opposite almost purposely destroying any fun you might attempt to be having with the game.

It sucks. There are certainly worse things in the gaming universe, but it still sucks.

And of course you'll get a few here defending it. Some are just Big N apologists, some are just in manic denial trying to justify their purchase, and the rest - well there are people who defend the gameplay virtues of Mythicon games here for gods sake. :P

Edited by remowilliams

No doubt, They certainly are selling a lot of Wii's.

Too bad their #1 software sale (after 10 months) is still.. Sports.

Not sure why this is a negative, it's a pack-in, at least for the US. I think it's safe to say that 10 months into the 2600 lifespan the #1 selling software was Combat.

No doubt, They certainly are selling a lot of Wii's.

Too bad their #1 software sale (after 10 months) is still.. Sports.

Not sure why this is a negative, it's a pack-in, at least for the US. I think it's safe to say that 10 months into the 2600 lifespan the #1 selling software was Combat.

So you are saying that US pack in games are considered as individual sales and figured into the over-all sales for the week? Does anyone know if that is a fact? I don't.

Anyways, The US aside, it's not a great thing is because from what people have said, most area's of the world don't come with a pack-in game and Wii Sports is sold individually.

That means 10 months later, the main reason people are buying the Wii is so they can bowl in their living rooms with Nintendo's own tech demo. Might not be a negative thing. Just comes off as odd to me. Selling a console is one thing, selling software is another. Nintendo needs to sell a lot more than just consoles and Sports to claim dominance ya know? The past few generations the 3rd party support has been kinda crap for Nintendo, that could change because of the amount of consoles being sold, game producers are taking notice right now for sure, here's the thing tho, if all folks want the Wii for is simple games like Sports and Wii Play and ignore the other offerings, the 3rd parties will lose interest. I'm not hoping it happens, I'm not saying it is happening, I'm just saying. The fact that Wii Sports is #1 isn't a positve thing in my eyes really for that reason.

I couldn't tell you what the number one selling game was for the Atari 2600 10 months after it was released. Was Atari launch world wide? Did Atari come packed with Combat in some countries and not in others? If you think about it, the Atari 2600 and the Wii have very little in common in that aspect...Nice try though.

Edited by moycon

I've played many-a FPS in my day and I liked Red Steel. It's controls weren't as horrid as many say. Just get used to the Wii-mote. The game reminded me alot of Goldeneye and Timesplitters......gameplay-wise, multi-player-wise, graphic-wise, and speed-wise.

I think thats why I became fond of it.

I agree the destructible stuff and the level design are great. Graphically, here are my problems with Red Steel's graphics:

1 - the frame rate is choppy. If it ran at a silky smooth 60fps, all would be forgiven.

2 - the enemy grunt characters are pretty ugly, poorly animated, they have a weird, pixely glow, and generally seem to be really low res models. The levels looked great, but the characters stand out.

That said, I enjoyed the game. It's not an A title, but it was more than fun enough to keep me playing through to the end. And I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel. They need to fix a control bug or two, rework a few of the motions (zooming by pushing forward didn't work well imho), and give the graphics an overhaul.

I've played many-a FPS in my day and I liked Red Steel. It's controls weren't as horrid as many say. Just get used to the Wii-mote. The game reminded me alot of Goldeneye and Timesplitters......gameplay-wise, multi-player-wise, graphic-wise, and speed-wise.

I think thats why I became fond of it.

Just too bad it looks so much like Goldeneye, graphically speaking. :D

The graphics aren't quite as impressive as I would've liked. The framerate was a bigger issue for me in some areas because it did dip down low enough to be annoying. Not low enough to be unplayable... just annoying.

As for the controls, I had no trouble really with the controls beyond the rather lengthy learning curve the game requires (since up until that point I'd been used to either dual-thumbstick shooters or keyboard + mouse style shooters). After about an hour or so, I started getting the hang of the controls, and about mid-way through the game, I had excellent command over the game (including the sword fights).

Given this, the graphics and controls could stand a bit of refining. For a first-effort however, I'll give a pass. A decent B-level game. But if Ubisoft decide to pump out a sequel, it better fix the problems or I won't be plucking down my $50 for the next game. Fair warning.

One thing that would've helped players get a better grasp over the controls in the game? A longer first mission / tutorial level. Something that would've allowed you to get plenty of playtime under the belt without really feeling like you're diving right into the game. That way, by the time you learn the controls, you would be "just getting started" with the game.

A few more levels. Maybe bigger levels. Refine the swordfighting sequences. Add a little polish overall to the game. Red Steel could've easily turned out to be the A-class title it was touted to be. But as it is, it's not too bad.

Alright, I guess I'll get this off my chest: I love Red Steel. I think it's incredible and I am eagerly anticipating the sequel. I don't quite know why everyone thinks it's crap. I'm playing through the level that's like "Saw" right now, and I think it's a very imaginative level with a lot of style (I especially like that the Rabbids are in it, yet don't feel out of place). My wife loves it too, and it's one of the games that she won't let me play unless she's watching (she likes organized crime shows and movies, and is also the one who named the current stage the "Saw" level while I was still trying to figure out why it seemed familiar). Moycon says the game controls poorly, but I don't see it. I think it controls very well, especially the slowing time and tossing grenade aspects, which are flawless. Many people hate the sword fights. I think they're pretty solid, and I certainly don't have trouble pulling off the moves. Sure I'd rather it was a 1 to 1 thing and that I could pull out the sword for stealth work, but then, I'd rather be playing a holodeck too, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards just yet.

The funny thing is, I have Sonic for the Wii, and I don't like it much at all. I also have Wii Sports, and only ever play the golf (which I do enjoy), but mostly don't like the other games on there. I have Mario Party 8, and me and my wife like it, but find the Wii controls take aawy from as many games as they add to. I have Wii play, and chased medals for awhile, but now leave it sitting there unplayed. Then I have this, which is the only Wii game that really makes me glad I bought the system, and everyone else seems to think it's terrible. I don't get it.

Look man. Like I say, everyone needs to admit the Wii is a Gamecube.

Because when you accept that fact, if follows that the Gamecube (of all things) is currently kicking the 360 & PS3's ass!

And if that isn't irony I don't know what is :lol:

HA! Never looked at it that way. :lol:

Alright, I guess I'll get this off my chest: I love Red Steel. I think it's incredible and I am eagerly anticipating the sequel. I don't quite know why everyone thinks it's crap. I'm playing through the level that's like "Saw" right now, and I think it's a very imaginative level with a lot of style (I especially like that the Rabbids are in it, yet don't feel out of place). My wife loves it too, and it's one of the games that she won't let me play unless she's watching (she likes organized crime shows and movies, and is also the one who named the current stage the "Saw" level while I was still trying to figure out why it seemed familiar). Moycon says the game controls poorly, but I don't see it. I think it controls very well, especially the slowing time and tossing grenade aspects, which are flawless. Many people hate the sword fights. I think they're pretty solid, and I certainly don't have trouble pulling off the moves. Sure I'd rather it was a 1 to 1 thing and that I could pull out the sword for stealth work, but then, I'd rather be playing a holodeck too, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards just yet.

Hey,

I'm actually at that same level right now and it's really bizarre and weird but hella hard and fun. What did you think of the part where you hop in a roller coaster and shoot those things that fly toward you while your racing on the tracks? That was so awesome. I also like this level because there are a lot of manikin's standing around and it makes it hard to pick out the real bad guys because they are dressed up just like that manikin's! Yeah, it's diffently something I haven't seen in a FPS, thats why I love this game. Some of the bad guys even pos as manikin's and wait for you pass by so they can shoot you in the back :D

A lot of people who hate this game never gave it a chance to play these really cool levels later on in the game.I love all the levels and they really give the game a style that makes me want to play through them again and again. If people actually took the time to "get" the controls, they might like it and give it the credit it deserves.

Edited by ManShowBoy

Hey,

I'm actually at that same level right now and it's really bizarre and weird but hella hard and fun. What did you think of the part where you hop in a roller coaster and shoot those things that fly toward you while your racing on the tracks? That was so awesome. I also like this level because there are a lot of manikin's standing around and it makes it hard to pick out the real bad guys because they are dressed up just like that manikin's! Yeah, it's diffently something I haven't seen in a FPS, thats why I love this game. Some of the bad guys even pos as manikin's and wait for you pass by so they can shoot you in the back :D

A lot of people who hate this game never gave it a chance to play these really cool levels later on in the game.I love all the levels and they really give the game a style that makes me want to play through them again and again. If people actually took the time to "get" the controls, they might like it and give it the credit it deserves.

Agree 100%. The game certainly gets better as it goes on (especially as you learn more sword fighting techniques to make those staged fights more interesting), but I think it starts off pretty good too (the gun fight in the car wash is pretty early on).

I tried to run up that ramp instead of hitching a ride on that ride thing, and three of those things flew into me at once and killed me. I'm about to make another go at the level. For those who are interested, here's part of the stage we're talking about:

Agree 100%. The game certainly gets better as it goes on (especially as you learn more sword fighting techniques to make those staged fights more interesting), but I think it starts off pretty good too (the gun fight in the car wash is pretty early on).
Red Steel definitely does get better as it goes along. Even graphically (the burning dojo and bamboo forest are really nice looking levels). But man, the car wash stage? That was one of the cheesiest stages in video game history. Really the low part of the entire game, imho. ;-)