IGNORED

My wife loves me She got me a Wii

HatNJ

Hi all

As title says my wife bought me one yesterday

She went around and only found 1 used one but Im happy it works fine and she got me 3 games

Transformers

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition (She forgot I had RE4 for the Gamecube)

Zelda Twilight Princess

Only have 1 set of controllers for now and no way to get it online as I only have wired LAN

I Thrilled at this but she did say it was B-Day and X-mas gift as one So what I have one now

Any suggestions on Games or accessories to get Id appreciate

and the big question what wireless router would but the best choice to be compatible with the Wii and my DS??

I did think about Nintendo's wired and wireless adapters but rather got with a router for more general purpose uses also

Suggestions needed

Take care all

Mike

I really would like to know if I just got a bum Linksys myself. I have the WRT54GS Speedbooster model and while it worked well enough for most things it actually doesn't have the range ability that my older Netbear WR614 v6 has. I expected the linksys to have better range since it was dual antenna, while my netgear uses a single and only half the size smaller antenna. Not the case. I also couldn't get the DS and Wii to talk to the Linksys unless I went with B only mode on it?! With the Netgear I can use mixed and all is good to go. However, the linksys did come in useful for modifying the firmware to the WRT-DD stuff so I use it now as a wireless client bridge since it can at least attach and pick up the netgear just fine. Therefore, my netgear is my main router still. Perhaps if I got another WRT54G and set it up for WDS mode between them? Hmmm..

However, you do need to get another controller of course. Many suggest picking up Wii-Play for just that purpose. I can't comment since I've never played Wii-play. But I can recommend these other games:

Trauma Center

Elebits

Sonic: Secret Rings

Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix. (Hey I like the series and I like how the Wii version controls!)

I also happen to like Super Swing Golf, but I'm sure I'm in the minority on that one.

and the big question what wireless router would but the best choice to be compatible with the Wii and my DS??

I've got a Linksys WRT54G, works great with the Wii, the DS and everything else I use it with.

I have the same, and outside of taking a few hours to get set up properly it's worked fine. And congrats on your new Wii - enjoy!

As for game recommendations, Godfather is a lot of fun on Wii. I'm not really into open world/crime games, but they did a fantastic job with the wii controls, and it's a lot of fun. I enjoyed Sonic quite a bit, although it is rough around the edges in a few places.

Edited by BydoEmpire

I got the same Linksys. Is this the most popular router in the world or something? Everyone seems to have one :)

Anyway, it's nice and reliable (well, for a router anyway) and my DS and Wii work just fine with it.

As for extra stuff, you need an extra controller (and your wife will LOVE Wii Sports, doesn't matter if she's not a gamer, it's irresistable - partic. Tennis)

As for games, there's not a lot out yet but there are a few titles that are head and shoulders above the rest :-

Excite Truck - Brilliant fun to play (you'll laugh your ass off) and just as much fun to watch someone else play. You can have use your own music too (from SD card). My favourite Wii game.

Mario Strikers Charged - And I hate football (soccer) AND Mario. Just as insanely funny as Excite Truck.

Zelda - Which you've got :)

Elebits - the phrases 'Very Japanese' and 'Brilliant' mean the same in my mind. This is brilliant! :)

HeatSeeker - If Ace Combat has ever tempted you, this is more action packed, more fun. Graphics range from amazing to ass, sometimes in the same frame.

Congrats on getting the Wii. You MUST get it online somehow. All the little diversions (Weather channel, Everybody Votes, Virtual Console, Mii migration) really give the Wii it's charm. That console was designed to be online.

I've got a Linksys WRT54G, works great with the Wii, the DS and everything else I use it with.

If that WRT54G is previous to version 6 then throw DD-WRT on it and make it 100x better. Even better is to pick up a WRT54GL and put DD-WRT on that. You have got to love Open-Source and Linux. You also have to love Linksys for basing their firmware on it.

I use the Belkin Wireless G Router mainly because I snagged one for like $30.

It works fine with the Wii , 360 and the PS3

Congrats. How many back rubs did you have to give to earn a Wii!?

Last thing my GF gave me was a hard time. J/K

My girlfriend and I have been enjoying Big Brain Academy lately, you may consider checking that game out if you want a simple Vs. type game.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far I was thinking of the WRT54G I have a Linksys wired 4 port and has worked great but now that I have devices for wireless I think Ill go and check out the 54g

Maybe P/U a second set of controllers too :)

Wish she did get it new I really wanted to play Wii Sports but Ill find it somewhere

Thanks again

always looking for advice

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far I was thinking of the WRT54G I have a Linksys wired 4 port and has worked great but now that I have devices for wireless I think Ill go and check out the 54g

Maybe P/U a second set of controllers too :)

Wish she did get it new I really wanted to play Wii Sports but Ill find it somewhere

Thanks again

always looking for advice

The new WRT54G's are pretty short on memory. The WRT54GL is a little more expensive but is a much better router. A warning... do not even consider a Netgear wireless router. I used one for quite some time and it was a nightmare. Their generic Taiwanese made firmware is horrible. I tried many different versions and each had their own unique major bugs. These ranged from having to reset it once or twice a week to the wireless dropping constantly to settings simply disappearing. When I emailed Netgear about one major bug in a particular version of their firmware they wanted me to debug it for them. That really isn't my job. At least with open-source firmware like the DD-WRT I am using on the WRT54GL I would feel good about debugging knowing that it was free and created by an open community.

I've heard about this issues with the Netgear routers before. And I won't contest them. But it has been the complete opposite for me. My linksys has been a constant problem, and while I do have a WRT54GS v6 there is still a micro version of DD-WRT I have loaded on it. That improved its use considerably, but increasing the radio power...didn't increase the range on it at all. Really disappointing to be honest. In addition my Netgear has been in constant steady use for about 2 years now. I've only had to power reset it 3x ever in those 2 years. And the only time it lost any of the config info, was when I manually reset it after a power outtage corrupted the config settings and I had to reload the firmware to it and reconfig. But since then I've made backup config files for both of my routers.

I guess I just got really lucky with my netgear 614, and unlucky with my Linksys 54gs...

Congrats on finding a Wii!

Here's what I'd add to your buy list:

Godfather: Blackhand Edition (Very underated game. Lots of fun)

Mario Strikers Charged (Addictive and crazy)

Elebits (Fun party game)

Super Paper Mario (Short, but fun)

And here's what I'd rent first:

SSX Blur (Fun for a while, but it gets old)

Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix (Better than I thought it'd be)

Sonic Secret Rings (Worth a rent but I'm glad I didn't buy it)

Of course, Monday (9/27) is release day for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. It looks to be the Wii's killer app. Luckily I have Monday and Tuesday off, so I plan on spending them with Samus. :D

Wow Lots of great suggestions

Thanks!

Im going out in the morning and try to pick up the wrt54g or one of the variants listed above and get this thing on (also be fun to get my DS's online)

Since she got it for me used it didnt come with Wii Sports if any one has a copy to sell or somewhere to get one cheaper than eBay would be greatly appreciated

I picked up a WRT54G for 49 bucks the low end model I guess and is working great lots more to know for security but not bad. Ill hook up the Wii when I get home from work tonight and try it out

I did test it with mine and my wife's DS's and other than having to put router in WEP mode they went online with out a hitch

So I guess the Wii should have no problems.

Does the Wii need WEP as well or is it WPA ok?

The DS only allows WEP encryption. Because of this, you cannot use WPA on your router. If you use WPA then the DS won't be able to connect anymore. I use a 128bit encyption key plus Mac address lockout on my routers. This way I get as tight a security as I can and still allow all my devices to connect online. The Wii will accept WPA though which is really nice. But for some reason the current gaming handhelds being the DS and PSP only allow WEP from what I can see and B only mode as well.

If the PSP can support WPA now..does that mean it also supports a G signal now as well? That would be really cool to say the least.

I also wish the DS were able to do G mode communications. It would make security much easier for me to maintain than setting up all the crap I do now which, in reality probably slows down my routers somewhat and lowers their signal reach as well. In either event, it all works so I'm happy with it all.

If the PSP can support WPA now..does that mean it also supports a G signal now as well? That would be really cool to say the least.

I also wish the DS were able to do G mode communications. It would make security much easier for me to maintain than setting up all the crap I do now which, in reality probably slows down my routers somewhat and lowers their signal reach as well. In either event, it all works so I'm happy with it all.

WPA is encryption security feature and I didn't think it had anything to do with network bandwith. I have however been known to be wrong.

As far as the title of the thread I can't resist saying that - if your wife really loved you she would play with your wii with you.

So sorry just could not resist. ;)

Yep Im using MAC address filtering and am on AtariAge now with the Wii Looks great on the 42inch Plasma

I have only 3 address's in the filter for permitting 2 DS's and the Wii all work great!

I spent 20 bucks for 2000 Wii points and will post my Wii code in the master list wanted the Internet browser :)

I heard USB Keyboards work with the Wii..Will a mouse work also or just the remote?

Having a blast with the 3 games I have and play around with the Wii channels

Gotta get another set of controllers and a classic one for the Virtual games

Lotta bang for the buck with the Wii

I think later firmwares of the PSP added WPA. I'm not sure when it was added though.

Yeah, I'm not sure when it was added but it does support WPA TKIP/AES

I wish Nintendo would update their DS. It's the only device in my home holding me back.

Got that right, the DS is the only game device I have that won't do WPA. :x