IGNORED

Who has played Carnival Games and what did you think?

Crazy Climber

Hey everyone

Carnival Games looks like the next game I want to buy for the Wii. Looks like a pretty cool little party game. Just wondering who here has played it and what you thought of it. At $40 it seems like a good deal. I loved Wii sports and this looks very similar. Let me know what you thought about it, I think I am going to pick it up this weekend if there is no major complaints. Thanks :) :) :)

I picked it up yesterday. Best Buy was sold out but Game Stop had 1 copy left. It is pretty fun. I got it mainly because it is a game I can play with my wife and son (almost 5, and he is pretty good with the Wiimote!).

It is not a very deep game, and it would have been nice to have been integrated with Mii's rather than custom characters, but no regrets. It is pretty fun, and another game besides Wii Sports we can all play.

Is there a list of games somewhere? I've been really curious about this one for awhile but want to make sure it's worth the $$. Wii Skee Ball is almost an instant Must Buy for me, but I can't let my love of Skee Ball blur my vision!

Heh, I snatched up a copy as soon as I saw Skee Ball. That's all it took for me.

It's hard to find any info on this game out there.

i wasn't able to find a review or a game list. 1up had some footage that I watched. From what I can gather though there are about 20 games and a whack of unlockable games to work toward

I ordered it from Amazon last night since it's an easy sell for me. I still play Wii Play sometimes and this looks more cohesive and varied.

There had better be those super-enormous 10 ft stuffed snakes with felt tongues to win or I'll be pissed. ;)

What a steaming pile Carnival Games is....

I played it today at my local game shop and it was pretty bad. CG feels cheap and the controls are pretty unrealistic and mostly unresponsive. It's also easy too, I "dunked the punk" 2 out of 3 times the first time I played. Replay value was shot after that. Sure as hell not worth $40

I can only see this game being rented for a party with friends. I guess if your drunk with friends playing CG, you really won't notice how much the controls suck ass.

Is there a list of games somewhere? I've been really curious about this one for awhile but want to make sure it's worth the $$. Wii Skee Ball is almost an instant Must Buy for me, but I can't let my love of Skee Ball blur my vision!

Heh, I snatched up a copy as soon as I saw Skee Ball. That's all it took for me.

You know how many games of real skee ball you could've played for $40?

At a real Carnival? Sure 40. Why?

At a real Carnival? Sure 40. Why?

Skeeball is only .25c at my local arcade. I could've played 160 games of skeeball. That's a lot more times then I would've replayed this crap.

Edited by ManShowBoy

This game while somewhat interesting is another complete 'people (and non gaming people at that) over the house game' only. And I'm not paying that much for yet another bunch of minigames. :(

Yeah that's what I got it for. I've only Sports and Monkey Ball to fill that gap (and Monkey Ball kinda sucks) I figure this will fill that void nicely.

ManShowBoy this is called Carnival Games....Not Local Arcade Games. If I played Skee Ball at the carnival...I could play exactly 40 times. The difference of course is in the payout. At your local arcade you collect tickets based on how many points you have. The more points, the more tickets. You get 500 of them, you can trade them in for a plastic snake. At a Carnival you pay a buck. If you get x amount of points you get plastic snake. If you get x amount of points + 1000 more points, you get a small crappy stuffed animal. If you get x amount of points + 2000 points you get large crappy stuffed animal. :cool:

This game while somewhat interesting is another complete 'people (and non gaming people at that) over the house game' only. And I'm not paying that much for yet another bunch of minigames. :(

Yeah that's what I got it for. I've only Sports and Monkey Ball to fill that gap (and Monkey Ball kinda sucks) I figure this will fill that void nicely.

ManShowBoy this is called Carnival Games....Not Local Arcade Games. If I played Skee Ball at the carnival...I could play exactly 40 times. The difference of course is in the payout. At your local arcade you collect tickets based on how many points you have. The more points, the more tickets. You get 500 of them, you can trade them in for a plastic snake. At a Carnival you pay a buck. If you get x amount of points you get plastic snake. If you get x amount of points + 1000 more points, you get a small crappy stuffed animal. If you get x amount of points + 2000 points you get large crappy stuffed animal. :cool:

The carnival is coming here on Saturday and all I can think is "Yeah, Skee Ball!" I've never thought that about the terrible pink skeeball ticket machines at the arcade. Carnival Skeeball is bigger, tougher, and you get to make the carneys mad when you figure out how to beat their rigged skeeball ramps. Also, my wife is much more impressed with a teddy bear than a 12 cent dinosaur toy.

Picked this up and played it most of the weekend and I must say my findings are positive. An entertaining game that's proving to have a minor addictive quality. Not all the games are well done, but a lot of them require real skill and seem impossible to master. This game is not easy, but there is a lot to have fun with play for.

I've read complaints about the control here and in another thread, and while there are a few games that have controls I don't like, they all seem to work. The remote seems very sensitive to me though, like it picks up subtleties more than I'm used to.

Good game though so far. Multiplayer is good and single player has prozes to win and use. My character looks like a monkey shriner from space now :thumbsup:

I also picked this game up Friday night for my boys and I to play. They love it?! Which, is enough for me since I really did get it for them. However, I will state a few things I've noticed.

Some of the games are actually quite easy to play. Dunk the Punk, and Ka-Pow! come to mind on this. In addition, the strength mallet hit the bell game is also very easy if you know the tricks to it.

While most of the games do seem to control very well, I do have issue with Nerves of Steel's control being somewhat too sensitive I think, and I don't like how the little ring will literally get "stuck" to the bar sometimes and you can't seem to grab it again as it starts bounching around from the shocks. I'm also not convinced that the controls are working very well for Clown Splash or Shoot the Star. You always seem to be just a bit off even when you try and compensate you still can't seem to shoot where you need to.

However, given that, the rest of the games seem to control very well. I am disappointed with "Alley Ball" at first it seemed to be very accurate and a damn near perfect simulation of skee-ball. Then...I found out how to score 100 points on nearly every single shot and the magic and challenge of "Alley Ball" faded quickly.

All in all it is an excellent party game to pull out with friends, and actually seems a bit deeper than Wii Sports in content. It does have PS2 looking graphics so any graphic whores should not even consider picking this up. I also don't care for the fact that the game gives you the choice of either having everyone share a single remote or everyone having their own. Actually this is an excellent thing, however, if you do choose to use the single remote, then some of the games will not be available to you as apparently you can only play them if everyone has a remote to themselves or in single player mode only. I only have two remotes so I can play all the games for 2 players, but with me and my boys...which makes at least 3, then we can't. It just seems annoying to me. Why couldn't they have let it do where each person plays by themselves against the computer players and then round robin the control to the next person to play theirs? Maybe it would have slowed down the pacing too much or something?

Aside from these issues the game is a lot of fun to play and very addictive in that you will always do what I do, (Trying to scored the grand prize for each game), or do what my oldest son does. He tries to fill the prize slots for each game. I do wish there had been more choices for character setup though. My sons don't like the fact that their dudes basically look alike in the game. Even with different outfits and such on, they can't change the hairstyle or the face enough and I have to agree. After playing and seeing what options are available with Miis, they should have either just used the Miis, or at least had some more customization options to change the people more.

Even with these flaws, I still have a lot of fun playing the game and enjoy the challenge of trying to better my time or score on the games. In addition, it is also fun to find out the secrets to unlocking other prizes to customize your character with, or unlock new games or game modes. At this point I have now managed to unlock all the games to the best of knowledge since I've no banners with question marks anymore and some of the unlocked games are more fun than the games you played to unlock them. Too bad you don't really earn prizes on the unlocked games though.