IGNORED

Buying untested games?

King Atari

Out of all the 2600 and 7800 games I've picked up over the years at fleamarkets/wherever, I've had a total of 3 (out of about 400) not work, even after extensive cleaning. So I'd take a chance on the carts. There's <1% chance you'll get hosed, even if the cart looks frightening.

Those are about my odds on non-working carts. Actually out of the handful that I've had not work, 40% of them have been CBS Ram Plus carts (Mountain King, Tunnel Runner, etc.). Maybe something in those goes bad more easily?

Tempest

Keep in mind that that untested means they could also be PAL, be careful. Especially if there are some rares in the lot. AFIK, there really is no way to distinguish on appearance alone, except for the "P" sticker on the underside. If that sticker is gone, you got to plug them to find out. This happened to me once w/Ikari Warriors cart from Ohio. :sad:

PAL 7800 will absolutely NOT load on an NTSC machine.

But as everyone has already said, PAL issue aside, atari carts are very durable, I have yet to come across a faulty one. :)