IGNORED

For Commodore 64 Lovers

Random Terrain

You know what I'd love? A "C64 Flashback" package that allows me to play the original games on the "original hardware." Maybe some kind of consolized C64 hardware what accepts flash cards to run ROMs from. The system would auto load the selected ROM (no need for the "load star" command) and be compatible with modern PC keyboards for use with games that have text commands.

A man can dream, can't he?

You know what I'd love? A "C64 Flashback" package that allows me to play the original games on the "original hardware." Maybe some kind of consolized C64 hardware what accepts flash cards to run ROMs from. The system would auto load the selected ROM (no need for the "load star" command) and be compatible with modern PC keyboards for use with games that have text commands.

You mean something like this?

Not perfect (only runs single file games) but it's a start...

You know what I'd love? A "C64 Flashback" package that allows me to play the original games on the "original hardware."

Aside from what Mayhem mentioned, "flashback"-wise there is the C64DTV. Not 100% compatible with original hardware, but close enough and has added enhanced graphics modes, more memory, etc. It can also be hacked to allow disk drives, joysticks, and keyboard to be connected. See here.

Maybe some kind of consolized C64 hardware what accepts flash cards to run ROMs from. The system would auto load the selected ROM (no need for the "load star" command) and be compatible with modern PC keyboards for use with games that have text commands.

Hmm, I don't remember loading cartridge ROMs and running them by using disk drive loading commands. Usually, cartridge ROMs start by themselves once inserted in the expansion port. :ponder: ;)

Just a friendly note: calling game files, game programs, disk images, and tape images as "ROMs" (if the game wasn't actually released on an actual cartridge) will get you flamed in the Commodore community. We like correct terminology. ;)

A man can dream, can't he?

There is a lot of very nice hardware that has been available for some time to to make a Commodore users life easier. :D

Garak

Edited by Garak

Check out this YouTube video that shows short clips of 28 classic Commodore 64 games with original audio and no stupid-ass music added:

Thanks for that. It really brought me back. That is a perfect example of why I still used my C64 for games after I bought my first IBM PC in 1990.

It was a 386SX-16 with a 40MB HDD and TWO Meg of RAM, ooooh.

I was the first kid (well 20-something) on my block to get a sound blaster. Got one when they first came out and my friends couldn't believe the sound coming out of that big putty colored box!

Now I have to dig my 64 out and maybe get a flash card thingy for it. My wife will NOT like you.

Edited by Zonie

As for terminology . . . so you're saying the C64 community is as anal as the a-hole Neo-Geo community???

Not so much anal, as the fact that as there are many different emulator file formats (TAP, G64, D64, T64, CRT etc) compared to other systems then just to use the word "ROM" is confusing, and we can't tell exactly what type you are after ;)

As for terminology . . . so you're saying the C64 community is as anal as the a-hole Neo-Geo community???

Is it "anal" to insist on something being correctly used? If someone went around saying 2+2 was 18 would it be "anal" to correct that person or would it be the right thing to do?

I guess by how you stated the above that the Atari community isn't "anal". Therefore, I assume then that if someone went into the 2600 forum and kept referring to the 2600 as the 7800 absolutely no one would correct that person? :ponder:

The other reason is what Mayhem posted about the various formats.

Garak

Wow....I finally got around to watching that clip....I was surprised at how GOOD those games looked graphically...I had a C64 for about five years, and while I remember some really good games (Road Runner, Paperboy, the Gauntlet series, and even Crossroads from Compute!'s Gazette, et al.), I don't remember them being so sharp....I was surprised particularly with Bubble Bobble....

Well, no, it's just a matter of CORRECT terminology. ROM = read-only memory.

I've seen sites that post "Amiga ROMs." Thing is...the only true "Amiga ROMs" are CD-ROMs. Stuff like, say, Lemmings, Shadow of the Beast, and other software put out on floppy disks is NOT read-only, ergo not ROM.