IGNORED

The Midway/3DSSS verdict.

Gorf

Jag fans everywhere,

I know this may not sound like great news but it is what it is. I have learned a lot during

the talks with my contact at Midway. This guy went well out of his way to help.

He did everything he could to think of some creative way to make it safe for us as well.

In the end, the bottom line is he and Midway, regardless of the result went above and

beyond the call of duty and did all they were able to do to HELP us get this released.

These folks were into this. Im very honored by their efforts.

The better news is that I have learned a great and valuable lesson and also have a much

greater appreciation for that which I already knew...RESPECT others property. I can't tell

you how I do not envy my contact and the steps he had to take to look into this. This is

stressful and careful work dealing with the companies IP's. Not a job for wimps Im am sure.

From what I can tell, he really put his tail on the line for all of us.

Now the result. There will be no revival of Gorf's release for the Atari Jaguar. This for many

reasons but mostly because we cant protect the possible copying of another companies IP.

We can only do so much and only have so many resources to work with, not to mention little

time trying to chase down those that might make unauthorized copy's of our games and

games licensed to us.

I can't tell you how much more I apperciate the stance we take against copying after he laid

out the needed requirements for allowing us to release Gorf.

My only regret is the fans not getting to play this game as a result. The charity I can do with

something else obviously, but there is just no real way to do Gorf and meet the understandable

requirements of Midway.

Miwday is a great company and the people there are fantastic human beings above all else of what

they do there. I wish them sucsess and prosperity for there efforts and because they are still one

of my all time favorite game companies. Long Live Atari, but definitely long live Midway as well.

They listened to the little guy! That alone rocks large.

Why is this news a good thing? It is settled once and for all. It's not what I would have

wanted to decide, but there is just no way this can be done reasonably at this time. You

all have to know however, I never give up....if I can find a way someday I will, but for all

practical purposes, the revival of Gorf Classic CD for the Atari Jaguar has come to an end.

In final, I want to thank all you jag fans who are just the greatest most patient and enduring

bunch of folks I've ever known. I hear a lot of complaints from people about us, but it is clearly

they just dont understand us. Your zeal is ours. We share the same passions and always will.

I want to thank Midway and everyone involved in this effort. I want to thank Jamie Fenton for

all she has done and for her generous offer of the original quit claim and for writing one of the

best classic shooters ever. I also want to thank the forums JSII (Jason ROCKS for just countless

reasons) and AA( Albert rocks for a great Atari site and the movie space) for all the wonderful

battles of ideas during this issue, including those folks on the other side.

Mostly I MUST thank you all for your patience and I appologize for what is obviously disappointing

news for some of you. Let me just say again, we have not and will not give up on our Jaggy....there

will come a day when we will find a way to safely distribute titles and we will find a way...oh

yes we will find a way.... mwahahahahahahaha!!!!... (er um..serious now)

Last but not least Neil Brandwene, his wife and daughter for a fine example of what giving is in

the first place, by giving their friendship to me and all of those whom they have ever come in

contact with. You can't ask for better friend than these.

You all rock!

On behalf of the Stooges,

Thank you and our deepest regrets.

Sincerely,

Steve Scavone, CEO, 3D Stooges Software Studios, LLC.

Kudos to Midway too...they really were shockingly behind this. Not something one would expect

from a corporation, especially one with many pressing finacial issues. They found the time to

care about this. Chalk one up for the corporations, eh? I'd work for this company in a New

York minute.

Edited by Gorf

This is something whose result is disappointing, but it looks like a great human experience, and a showoff of serious business and customer care.

It is honorable a disappointing result in such circumstances, as I already wrote.

Thank you Steve for your efforts, and thank you Midway for having considered the options.

Of course, I'm awaiting for the next thing from Frog. ;-)

This is something whose result is disappointing, but it looks like a great human experience, and a showoff of serious business and customer care.

It is honorable a disappointing result in such circumstances, as I already wrote.

Thank you Steve for your efforts, and thank you Midway for having considered the options.

Of course, I'm awaiting for the next thing from Frog. ;-)

Thanks guys.....buy Midway....they are still a great game company.

This is a family forum so I will bite my tounge.......not sure the future of my JagCD now - really bummed I missed out on this one but respect yours and Midway's wishes...............:(

Don't be bummed. That Cd may just see something good yet. I told you

I never give up.

Jag fans everywhere,

I know this may not sound like great news but it is what it is. I have learned a lot during

the talks with my contact at Midway. This guy went well out of his way to help.

You all rock!

On behalf of the Stooges,

Thank you and our deepest regrets.

Sincerely,

Steve Scavone, CEO, 3D Stooges Software Studios, LLC.

You could always move to China, and then produce as many of them as you want and sell them on eBay or mail order.

I'll buy one!

Todd,

2006 Pontiac Solstice

2004 VW Beetle Convertible

2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74

1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6

1984 Porsche 944

1981 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter (Bus)

Nothing to do now except for change the title to Frog - remove any references to Gorf, and release it for free :) I can try can't I?

It was a thought at one time, but I'd feel like I'd be tweaking Midway and I have too much respect for those guys

to do that. Hey If I did not care about these things sincerely, the game would have never been recalled in the first

place. Take heart though....I do not believe any good effort is in vain. Something will come of this, some how

some way. :)

All I can tell you guys is NO ONE wanted you to have this game for your Jaguars more than I did. Why? It is

MY favorite shooter and I would hope you all experienced the blast I've always had playing this game. Yeah,

doing this professionally is great but all the money in the world can't compare with a gamer that loves your

game and tells the world so...to me this is priceless.

;)

There will be no revival of Gorf's release for the Atari Jaguar. This for many

reasons but mostly because we cant protect the possible copying of another companies IP.

OK, so a rerelease of the CD version is a no go, mostly for not being able to protect Midway's Intellectual Property.

However, wouldn't a cartridge version be better suited to protect GORF from being illegally copied? A GORF cart would be great! A cart would be very costly to copy and you would have to know how to do it. I'm sure you could add some kind of tricky extra coping protection to it, somehow, in addition to the encryption. Wudddya think GORF huh?, maybe, maybe, maybe???? :P :roll:

Edited by ovalbugmann

There will be no revival of Gorf's release for the Atari Jaguar. This for many

OK, so a rerelease of the CD version is a no go, mostly for not being able to protect Midway's Intellectual Property.

However, wouldn't a cartridge version be better suited to protect GORF from being illegally copied? A GORF cart would be great! A cart would be very costly to copy and you would have to know how to do it. I'm sure you could add some kind of tricky extra coping protection to it, somehow, in addition to the encryption. Wudddya think GORF huh?, maybe, maybe, maybe???? :P :roll:

A simple dump of the cart is all it takes to upload to an SRAM card. Sorry. It's just not happening.

The cart we'd make would cost you $100+ dollars as it would have to have encryption

HARDWARE on it. So a dump would do nobody any good, but the cost would be very high.

Edited by Gorf

First of all, I've never commented on these threads in the past, and haven't really kept up with the story, so forgive my rather external point of view.

Second of all, I sincerely respect the idea of intellectual property, I firmly believe in giving credit where it is do, and I believe the wishes of the original creators should be respected for at least as long as their copyright is valid.

Having said all that, hiding behind the excuse of being unable to guarantee the game won't be copied is a total crock. There is no way any form of media can be guaranteed against copying, period. Companies have spent truckloads of money in trying, and have failed every time. And yet the companies still have no trouble selling plenty of CDs and DVDs, despite the lack of effective copy protection.

Consider three points: 1, Many independent music labels, and even one of the biggies (Universal), have decided it is worth selling music online free of copy protection. 2, Is Midway no longer selling games for the XBox and the PS2 because they're being copied about? 3, Where was Midway's concern about copy protection when they approved the Jag release of Maximum Carnage?

Edited by skunkworx
  • Like 1

First of all, I've never commented on these threads in the past, and haven't really kept up with the story, so forgive my rather external point of view.

Second of all, I sincerely respect the idea of intellectual property, I firmly believe in giving credit where it is do, and I believe the wishes of the original creators should be respected for at least as long as their copyright is valid.

Having said all that, hiding behind the excuse of being unable to guarantee the game won't be copied is a total crock. There is no way any form of media can be guaranteed against copying, period. Companies have spent truckloads of money in trying, and have failed every time. And yet the companies still have no trouble selling plenty of CDs and DVDs, despite the lack of effective copy protection.

Consider three points: 1, Many independent music labels, and even one of the biggies (Universal), have decided it is worth selling music online free of copy protection. 2, Is Midway no longer selling games for the XBox and the PS2 because they're being copied about? 3, Where was Midway's concern about copy protection when they approved the Jag release of Maximum Carnage?

I understand your points but unfortunately it is all moot at this point in time.

Oh and I think you mean Total Carnage from Songbird. Cart is a lot better

protection wise and is probably why Midway allowed it.

Jamie Fenton is the only one whom will ever own a Jaguar cart version of

Gorf. WE at 3DSSS dont even have such a pleasure.

Edited by Gorf

Thanks for the update and your (and Midway's) valiant effort in trying to do this right. Too bad it didn't work out for us Jag fans but it is what it is.

Again, it's not like I did'nt want to release it. Im very proud of our efforts on that game. Im mostly sorry

that I cant get it out there to you guys.

Thats cool Gorf you give it your best effort and at lest i can play GORF on my Colecovision(not the same but what are you going to do,right?).

So what are your next plans if any? A new orignal game for the Jaguar perhaps? Good luck on any of your future adventures videogame related or not. :)

Thats cool Gorf you give it your best effort and at lest i can play GORF on my Colecovision(not the same but what are you going to do,right?).

So what are your next plans if any? A new orignal game for the Jaguar perhaps? Good luck on any of your future adventures videogame related or not. :)

We have a few things we are waiting on to release, if we release them.

I would imagine you are sparing us the details of this but more than likely it is not just a Cart vs CD issue and how easy it is copy. Likely Midway also expected 3DSS to actively monitor those copying activities and to go after them which means lawyers and all that BS. Not just releasing the game in a format that is not easily copied rather as a license holder they expect you to protect there IP on that format. That is a huge task to put on anyone and I certainly do not hold it against 3DSS for not wanting to go there.

I look forward to whatever plans you guys have in the future and hope one day you can make the release happen. Thanks for trying man. You have definitely taken this above and beyone the call of duty.

I would imagine you are sparing us the details of this but more than likely it is not just a Cart vs CD issue and how easy it is copy. Likely Midway also expected 3DSS to actively monitor those copying activities and to go after them which means lawyers and all that BS. Not just releasing the game in a format that is not easily copied rather as a license holder they expect you to protect there IP on that format. That is a huge task to put on anyone and I certainly do not hold it against 3DSS for not wanting to go there.

Sounds like you get it perfectly.

I look forward to whatever plans you guys have in the future and hope one day you can make the release happen. Thanks for trying man. You have definitely taken this above and beyone the call of duty.

Twerint nuthin......I know some think Im in it for the money....(excuse me while I laugh

my ass off for a second....lol....ok) but they don't understand that more importantly than

the money which I hope to cover the cost of my QUALITY materials with and even give

the other two guys there more than deserved pay, there is no reward like you guys telling

me you like it....priceless! Besides, I have real paying work that keeps me alive. Coding and

electronic automated whole house internet/cable/audio and video. shit you should see the

house im just finishing up.....the guy is great and pays on time too!!!! :P

Thanks dude....folks like you are why we still look for a way to bring you fun classic

styled games.