IGNORED

Commodore 64 question?

I loved my Commodore 64 back in the day. I had so many titles and played it so much....it almost rivaled my time spent with the Atari 2600. Then, my mom sold both of them with all the games....or so I thought. It pissed me off back then and even more now.

But, lo and behold, we were going through tons of old boxes in a "junk" room to clean it out and in one of the boxes were tons of boxed and unboxed C64 games. :lust:

I think I almost shit myself....knowing that some of my favorite games had been spared from so long ago. Games like Maniac Mansion, Rambo 2, Toy Bizarre, both Dragon's Lair games, Knight Games, Bop 'n Wrestling, Aliens, Congo Bongo, Batman: The Caped Crusader, etc.

And then I found out that my mom still had our first computer.....the Commodore SX-64. We had gotten that before the C64. I had forgotten all about it until we found it. Of course, my mom doesn't want to give up the SX-64.....but someday, she said it would be handed down to me. I have vague memories about it.....didn't get much play time before the C64 came crashing into the picture. She must have boxed it up and put it up for storage.

Now, my question is rather silly, I don't have the box for Maniac Mansion anymore, but I still have the disc. I always thought it was 2 discs. Am I wrong....was it only 1 disc that was double-sided?

Hopefully.....

Now, my question is rather silly, I don't have the box for Maniac Mansion anymore, but I still have the disc. I always thought it was 2 discs. Am I wrong....was it only 1 disc that was double-sided?

Hopefully.....

These links might help:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/maniac-mansi...eCoverId,80315/

http://www.mobygames.com/game/maniac-mansi...eCoverId,80316/

http://www.mobygames.com/game/maniac-mansi...eCoverId,80317/

What possible interest would your mother have in an obsolete portable Commodore computer??? Why would she want to hold on to it? And what's with this "one day, I'll hand it down to you" stuff? Is she going to turn it into a family heirloom?

Um, they're rare and valuable if it's working. So yes, it's an antique and *I* would make it an heirloom :lust: Even broken they're pricey.

I love my C= computers, shame I can't hook them all up at once.

Nathan

I loved Maniac Mansion. Particularly the hacked version with the slightly different dialogue and where you could put the hamster in the microwave. :evil:

You could always put the hamster in the microwave in the C64 version... it was only removed for the NES iterations.

I loved Maniac Mansion. Particularly the hacked version with the slightly different dialogue and where you could put the hamster in the microwave. :evil:

You could always put the hamster in the microwave in the C64 version... it was only removed for the NES iterations.

Yea....I used to do that all the time in the C64 version and give it back to Ed. Next thing you know, the gravestone appears....lol. :D

What possible interest would your mother have in an obsolete portable Commodore computer??? Why would she want to hold on to it? And what's with this "one day, I'll hand it down to you" stuff? Is she going to turn it into a family heirloom?

Well.....I'll lay off the "Man....what's with your attitude remark?" and tell you why.

It was the first computer my mother ever owned so it has sentimental value to HER, too......not just me. That's why she wants to keep it. And yes, it is sort of an heirloom.

Well.....I'll lay off the "Man....what's with your attitude remark?" and tell you why.

It was the first computer my mother ever owned so it has sentimental value to HER, too......not just me. That's why she wants to keep it. And yes, it is sort of an heirloom.

Wow your mom is a hardcore Commodore enthusiast by the sounds of it. Perhaps you can convince her to let you use it? :)

The SX-64 was neat, but kind of sucked. It wasn't compatable with every game. In fact, I found a lot that wouldn't load on it.

Maniac Mansion was great fun. As was Zak McKraken & The Alien Mind Benders. This one kid in high school wasn't that bright/smart, but he was better at me than these games.

I remember we had this crazy idea. In Maniac Mansion there was a chainsaw I believe which was out of gas, and in one part of Zak McKraken there was a gas can with no use. My friend thought if you switches the discs as the game played it would load the gas data. Would have been neat if Lucas put this in.

Here's something I found on the web:

"LucasArts' second graphic adventure, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, featured a can of gasoline, which is a reference to the Maniac Mansion's chainsaw, which is famously out of gas. When Maniac Mansion was first released, there was a rumor that there was a single pixel that was a "crack in a pipe or a wall containing a secret 'hot key'" which would unlock a cabinet containing a gas can."

I dunno, I beg to differ. I base that on the fact that I have an original of Maniac Mansion for the C64 that I bought years later, and it didn't allow it. It would give me that {paraphrasing since I don't remember word for word} 'I'd Rather not" dialogue bubble. But the copy I downloaded years earlier did. Maybe it got quietly removed from later releases. Or maybe the original I bought (which I bought used) had been hacked. :ponder:

Edited by Artlover