IGNORED

What's the deal with Karateka?

RJ

Hey all- I recall seeing 7800 Karateka featured in print (an issue of Atarian, specifically) & the photo seemed to be the 8-bit/computer version, which looks nothing like the thick, blocky characters & dull, drab scenery of the 7800 game. When I bought mine, I thought I got a bogus cartridge or something! How could they get away with that- isn't it a prime example of the old "bait & switch"? Does anyone else recall game graphics that looked very little like the printed photo? I think I saw one of Double Dragon in that same issue... -RJ

Cousin Vinnie has an (extremely) in-depth guide to playing/beating Karateka on his 7800 website. He mentions that other guides for the 7800 game are actually for OTHER versions, which reminds me of my previous post about misleading screenshots...

Speaking of Karateka and guides, does anyone know how you're supposed to get past the gate on the Gameboy version. I've tried half a dozen different ways (running, walking, move when it's down, move when it's up, move when it's moving up, etc) and every time it kills me.

I have a prototype of it and it's still bad!  So much for the theory that there's a really good version of Karateka out there somewhere that Atari never released.

I haven't tried the copies I picked up a month or so ago, but the way you all speak, it sounds like I should setup a 7800 just to see how bad it is.

. . o o (Maybe if I swapped out my Coleco I'd have room for a 7800... Hmm)

I was always a fan of the Atarian magazine secret tip that if you run rather than walk outside the castle (or whatever it is), you'll run into less bad guys then if you just walk in ninja-pose. Of course, later, I found out that this was quite untrue for the 7800 version :)

-John K. Harvey

It took me over 10 years to master Karateka. I bought it in like 1987 after playing Shinobi on my best friends Sega MasterSystem. Like all of you I was utterly disappointed. There was just no comparison. However I tried to make the best of it.

Once you figure out how to control the character and move him around and understand the combos etc, it's ALOT more fun. But for 10 years I hated it until I got used to it. It's certainly a basket case game.

Justin

Atari 7800.com

PS- I also saw the C64 version of Impossible Mission and I was very suprised to plug in the 7800 version and see how beautiful it was. The way the secret agent man does gymnastics thru the air is just incredible.

Just to see what everyone was on about - I think Karateka is an awesome game - so I booted up both the XEGS and 7800 versions of Karateka - WHAAA!!!

The 8bit version is pretty smooth, but the main thing is the excellent anti-aliased characters, the 7800 version is so blocky and so hard to control (this may just be my sad proline incapable hands tho') - the figures are bigger, but at what cost - surely they would have been better off porting the character graphics from the XEGS and then adding a few more colors for your enemies...

The sound is horrid - what a shame - I love Karateka, just not the 7800 version :(

However I did find myself playing Alien Brigade for two hours whilst "testing" a lightgun afte my Karateka disapointment - I love that game (simple tho it is)....

sTeVE

I agree... I just got Karateka, and I only played it for about 5 minutes before my left hand was a gnarled claw.  Enough!

Yeah the game is a hand breaker! My experience with it was bad enough

that I have not tried it since getting the joypads. I think I will have to

retry it with them. Even without the hand cramps, the game is a

terrible port. Forget the control issues, worst of all is the music!

It is the Atari equivalent of finger nails on a chalk board.

My vote for worst game on the system since it is pretty much

unplayable.

John

Heh. I was thinking this exact same thing this weekend. It seems as though Atari, in an attempt to push the XE (and subsequent disk drive, printer, modem, software sales) deliberately crippled many 7800 versions of games so that the XE ones would look better. I mean, come on. Yes, the XE did have better sound, but the 7800 had more graphics modes and more capable sprite capabilities. The systems were close enough in spec that many Atari 8-bit titles could have been easily ported over. But what happened? Well - in 1987 and 1988, many 7800 versions of games sucked (needlessly) while the XE versions shined.

Witness:

Karateka. On the XE, this cooks. It has all the elements of the original disk game. On the 7800, the graphics are simpler, more blocky. The gate is mission. Many of the interludes are missing. speed vs. guards factor is gone. And the control is absolutely horrible.

Witness:

Crossbow. On the XE, the graphics are clear and decently detailed. There is some animation on the ending screen. There are little elements like lightning storms and yeti's. When your friends get shot, you hear a digitized scream. On the 7800, the graphics are a lot blockier. Many of the details are missing. The graphics aren't as clear. No digitized scream. A lot of the little animation elements are missing.

Granted, it wasn't always this way. DARK CHAMBERS comes to mind. On the XE, it flickers like a banshee. On the 7800, dozens of enemies can enter the screen without flicker or slowdown.

I do understand why Atari wanted the XE to succeed. On the other hand, I don't understand why they had three systems in competition with each other for shelf space, advertising $$$, game development etc.

For what its worth, I heard that the 7800 version of Karateka was programmed in FORTH! Ick! The same guy butchered Choplifter and Hat Trick.

BTW, anyone know how to kill the hawk in the 7800 version? My high kicks never seem to hit it.

Tempest

Speaking of Karateka and guides, does anyone know how you're supposed to get past the gate on the Gameboy version. I've tried half a dozen different ways (running, walking, move when it's down, move when it's up, move when it's moving up, etc) and every time it kills me.

Sorry, would've posted sooner had I seen this thread. As I remember (it's been many years), you have to slowly approach the gate in the "crouch position." Step towards it, closer, closer, going slowly. The gate should drop, but you won't get caught in it (be sure to rear back a bit when it falls, just to be certain.) Then stand up, wait for the gate to rise, and dash under it as fast as you can as soon as there's enough clearance room. (Otherwise, you'll just bonk your head a few times, having to start over again.) If it goes all the way back up to the top, it'll slam back down when you try to go under. Timing is crucial.