IGNORED

Flash cart for the 2600/7800?

SRGilbert

I suppose if something like this were in the works, everyone would be talking about it, but I gotta ask. Is ANYBODY working on a replacement for the now discontinued Cuttle-cart 2? They've been out of production for quite a while now, and Chad Schell seems uninterested or unable to produce them again.

It's my understanding that the CC2 used parts that are no longer available, so that's understandable. I have a hard time believing that there aren't alternatives available though. Steve from Atarimax uses built in memory, and the NES Powerpak uses good old compact flash cards, and Schell's own Intellivision CC3 uses mini-sd.

Certainly someone out there can make one of these for a reasonable price. Both the Powerpak and Atarimax's carts come in at under $150.00, and I just cant justify spending $300 or more for a CC2 on the after market.

Is there really no viable market for this product? :(

I suppose if something like this were in the works, everyone would be talking about it, but I gotta ask. Is ANYBODY working on a replacement for the now discontinued Cuttle-cart 2? They've been out of production for quite a while now, and Chad Schell seems uninterested or unable to produce them again.

It's my understanding that the CC2 used parts that are no longer available, so that's understandable. I have a hard time believing that there aren't alternatives available though. Steve from Atarimax uses built in memory, and the NES Powerpak uses good old compact flash cards, and Schell's own Intellivision CC3 uses mini-sd.

Certainly someone out there can make one of these for a reasonable price. Both the Powerpak and Atarimax's carts come in at under $150.00, and I just cant justify spending $300 or more for a CC2 on the after market.

Is there really no viable market for this product? :(

I don't think there is enough demand from people that don't have a CC2 to make another run feasible. I think Chad said he had around ten requests after it sold out. If you could find 100 people that would be willing to preorder I wouldn't be surprised if another run could happen. Good luck on finding the people though.

Mitch

Heck Id be one to pre-order if there was a chance to get a CC2

but it seems its a slim to none shot

If people didnt still want them then why is the price so high when 1 does appear for sale or eBay?

Heck Id be one to pre-order if there was a chance to get a CC2

but it seems its a slim to none shot

If people didnt still want them then why is the price so high when 1 does appear for sale or eBay?

It only takes 2 serious bidders to bid something up really high.

But isn't it really because they are in such short supply and high demand? When people think it's the only way they will ever get one, they will pay almost anything.

If you are patient you probably will be able to find a CC2 for $200-$275. There isn't enough demand for another batch at this time but who knows what the future holds. Used CC2's do seem to pop up from time to time from either people leaving the hobby, cutting back their collection or from those who simply need the money.

If you are patient you probably will be able to find a CC2 for $200-$275. There isn't enough demand for another batch at this time but who knows what the future holds. Used CC2's do seem to pop up from time to time from either people leaving the hobby, cutting back their collection or from those who simply need the money.
Well, if anyone has one that they are willing to part with for $200.00, I'll paypay them almost instantly! :D

Thanks for the plug, Richard, although Chimera will not load in 7800 games. In theory that kind of architecture could work for 7800 games as well but would surely increase the cost and nobody's been really demanding it. It might be worth designing the PCB with the 7800 pins connected but unused so that it could be hacked in later. But CPLD pins are in short supply right now. It would probably have to be the next level up on CPLDs and even then I don't know how much physical room there would be to interface in a POKEY. I do think a Chimera type device would add a lot of power to the 7800 for new game development. I haven't seen a lot of 7800 development as it is and I'm not sure how much of that is general apathy towards the platform vs. any sort of programmer frustration over hardware bottlenecks or learning curve.

Edited by mos6507

Sign me up. I just want something simple to use to load 2600 roms (to play the rarer 2600 games that I'll never purchase on the original equipment).

Well the Kroc Cart is due for another batch to be released soon, so if its 2600 games you want, you are set.

There are some compatibility problems with the 7800 though ie, it can only load a single image, not be used as a multicart.

It would probably have to be the next level up on CPLDs and even then I don't know how much physical room there would be to interface in a POKEY. I do think a Chimera type device would add a lot of power to the 7800 for new game development. I haven't seen a lot of 7800 development as it is and I'm not sure how much of that is general apathy towards the platform vs. any sort of programmer frustration over hardware bottlenecks or learning curve.

Why would a Chimera need a POKEY? Generate sound with the ARM!

It would probably have to be the next level up on CPLDs and even then I don't know how much physical room there would be to interface in a POKEY. I do think a Chimera type device would add a lot of power to the 7800 for new game development. I haven't seen a lot of 7800 development as it is and I'm not sure how much of that is general apathy towards the platform vs. any sort of programmer frustration over hardware bottlenecks or learning curve.

Why would a Chimera need a POKEY? Generate sound with the ARM!

POKEY would have to be there for legacy games that expect it to be there.

I do think a Chimera type device would add a lot of power to the 7800 for new game development.

Sounds like there's still a good market for such a cart + it would help finance your future Chimera development.

Based on CC2 sales, I'm not sure. Seems like the market is already saturated unless you can give them some clear added value, which wouldn't happen until some new games used the ARM or the peripherals. The CC2 lets 7800 games use the serial port and I don't think that's been exploited yet.

The big difference with Chimera (and I don't mean to dis anybody) is our goal to minimize final retail costs. We're going to come in at a much lower price than CC2 or Kroko. So there is no profit to roll back into development. Not from the carts themselves. I have an idea for something a little more exclusive that people might be willing to pay a collector's premium for but the logistics of building it haven't materialized yet.

There is a Cuttle Cart 2 on eBay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...15382%26fvi%3D1

I know, I was the first to push it past $200. It's at $255 with still an hour to go. I'm sure it will go over $300, too rich for my blood. As much as I want one, I just can't justify spending more than DOUBLE what my other flash carts go for.

Unfortunately for me, I was kinda out of gaming for a couple of years. My last house I lived in for 5 years didn't really have anywhere I could set things up, so I kinda lost interest. I only this past year got back into it, but too late for me to get a CC2 from the guy that made them.

Oh well, maybe some day I'll get lucky.

:(

Lets see if the $360 I was asking for mine was over the top :?:
Didn't you just get that from someone on here?

Yes, a couple of months ago, finances have got a bit tight since then, but no one made me an offer. To be honest I'm glad that I didn't sell, I will just have to tough out these hard times *sob*, and enjoy the CC2 :D

Love the Omnicade btw