IGNORED

Creepiest video game ever.....

System Shock 2, Thief: The Dark Project, and Bioshock (all from the mind of Ken Levine) definitely have major moments of creepiness. The first time I heard Sinistar yell and the Cyberdemon (from DOOM) bellow, those were moments of panic. AvP on the Jag also used sound to great effect. Half-Life has some creepy moments, and there is a good mod (can't remember the name offhand) for HL: Blue Shift that is like a zombie movie. Probably Thief is tops for me in creepiness, although I feel like I have yet to really encounter the creepiest game ever - maybe I'm too well fed on the horror genre. :P

...there is a good mod (can't remember the name offhand) for HL: Blue Shift that is like a zombie movie.

I've never heard of any mods for Blue Shift, but Neil Manke's They Hunger was a pretty dang good zombie mod (for HL). Better than his Quake mods, I thought. They Hunger 2 looks like it'll be pretty sweet, but Idunno if I wanna pay for it.

...there is a good mod (can't remember the name offhand) for HL: Blue Shift that is like a zombie movie.

I've never heard of any mods for Blue Shift, but Neil Manke's They Hunger was a pretty dang good zombie mod (for HL). Better than his Quake mods, I thought. They Hunger 2 looks like it'll be pretty sweet, but Idunno if I wanna pay for it.

Ah, maybe that's the one I'm thinking of. I played it around the same time as Blue Shift, so the two got conflated in my mind.

I've played all of the Evil Dead games but found very little moments of creepiness. Resident Evil 4 had some well done creepy moments.

Dungeon Master on the Amiga used to scare the crap out of me.

Aside from that, the first Silent Hill is v. creepy.

Oh yeah, and Pac Man. Damn, how can anybody play that? You're trapped and they ARE going to get you. <shiver>.

I definitely have to try Fatal Frame some time. As well as playing some of my favorite survival horror games in the dark. Well there was Resident Evil: DS (which I lost so I need a new copy of it.)

I still remember playing Resident Evil 2 for the first time, and having no walkthrough, there were countless times I jumped. I still remember in the B games when Mr. X would come pay you a visit, how many times I jumped. There was one time in Leon's B game where I just _knew_ Mr. X was going to be waiting for me, and I turned out to be right. Aside from that, every time I met up with him (or he met up with me,) I'd always jump.

The original Clock Tower had a randomness factor that felt like you were playing a slasher flick. Too bad they didn't replicate it well enough with the future games. While Clock Tower 2 had some creepy moments (like the samurai statue in the first part of the game,) It just felt more like a Resident Evil game with a point-and-click interface. Clock Tower 3 felt a little more like the first, but not quite the same.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Siren. That's an underrated classic in my opinion. For those who don't know, you're on an island in Japan, and something's caused most of the residents to go crazy. They're called 'shibito,' which is similar to a zombie, but these aren't your typical flesh eating zombies. No, they look around actively for you, and they don't just chase after you either. They have weapons and can call out to their allies for assistance. You can get weapons, but the goal is to pretty much survive using your wits and the ability to 'sightjack,' which basically lets you detect the position of a shibito and see things through their eyes. Based on what you see, you try to determine where they are and use that to your advantage.

I still remember being creeped out by Uninvited the first time I played it. Today, though, that seems like child's play compared to what we've got nowadays.

And for the person who mentioned Illbleed, that's very interesting in that the goal of the game is to avoid being scared to death by using a special detector thing, and even then it does have its creepy moments.

Clock Tower was awesome. I never did get around to beating it.

A funny off-topic tid-bit......I bought my brother Clock Tower 3 for his birthday when it first came out 4 years ago. Here's the kicker....he STILL hasn't even opened it to play it yet. It's still in it's original shrinkwrap. :lol:

By far, Condemned for 360.

I've only played the 360 a couple of times, but I was playing this on my boss' projection TV in his basement. The shadowing in the game was done very well. Not to mention the surround sound so you could hear all the crazed inmates wielding lead pipes 360 degrees around you

I've never actually had a video game make me jump before, this was the first one. The kind of game that after you're done playing it, you're looking over your shoulder while walking back to your car.

Seriously. . .

Matt

I'll throw a prop in for Splatterhouse too. Now that I read this and see there were other version than the TG I will be hunting them down. Loved that game (still do). Big hulking side scroller that it is.

I will also throw in "D" for 3D0 or for PS1. Bizarre story about your dad being a vampire and tons of gory stuff, just weird. Creepy old house and multiple endings. I beat it with a guide years ago but have not played it since.

Honestly, I get so little time to actually game anymore, the thought of being creeped out or scared during a game is not on my radar. I am so hooked on Rayman Rabbids right now its not funny. That is just creepy in an odd way. Not scary, just odd. Why can a bunny use an outhouse but not close the door?

C

LarcenTyler wrote:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Siren.

I'm surprised you didnt mention it's only fun if you like repeating sections OVER & OVER & OVER until you do it right. You WILL DIE numerous times during any given portion of the game. That's what turned me off- I got so frustrated & discouraged I quit rather early on. IIRC that was the general consensus of the game.

Edited by RJ

Like many more have said, the dogs coming threw the window in RE1 was pretty freaky. I think I actually peed 2 drops first time and I know I droped the controller.

Also, I found FF1 to be intense in the caves & dungeons when I was a kid especially when fighting the Litch and then later on when fighting Chaos for the first time.