IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 8: Halloween

Ze_ro

Oooooh! <rubs hands gleefully> As much as I'd like to join in, I think I'll sit out and let the rest of you have fun with it. But I can offer you some pointers:

- Don't EVER stop on the edge of a screen. 50% of the time, Mike will appear on the other side; 50% of the time, he appear right on top of you. When entering a new screen, move immediately AWAY from the screen edge. The center of the screen is safest.

- UNLESS you're on a screen with a closet door, which is another of Mike's favorite hiding places. On those screens, position yourself between the edge and the closet until you see where he pops out. Also, NEVER use the closet as a shortcut. It sucks to pop "out" of the closet only to have Mike pop out right behind you. It's not worth the shortcut.

- The "safe rooms" where you drop off the kids for points are a great informal "pause." Mike never shows up in these rooms, so you can go to the can or grab a snack as long as you're in there.

- For some reason, Mike almost ALWAYS (80% of the time) enters from the right-hand side in the downstairs, far left room. It's usually easier to just go upstairs to the blackout room when you're on that side of the house as you'll never get past him downstairs.

- Never use the knife for points. You're basically facing against Mike and risking a life just for a few hundred points. Not worth it.

- As stated earlier, Mike will go after the kids before he comes after you. If it looks like you're going to get killed, and you have a kid in tow, drop the kid and get away. You can always get another kid - the house is filled with them - but you don't get any extra lives. So use the kids as bait when necessary.

- When you do lose a life, GET MOVING THE SECOND YOUR NEW MAN APPEARS. The new man is sometimes placed on the edge of the screen RIGHT WHERE MIKE POPS UP. So, if you die, haul butt away from where you start again. Nothing worse than losing a life, then losing ANOTHER life immediately because you didn't think to move or you were "getting your bearings."

- If hearing the same song over and over again would drive you nuts, turn the volume down or off. There are no sound effects or music cues in the game to speak of. Although, the music only plays when Mike's on-screen, so I usually use it as a warning system. Your choice.

- Mike is a just a bit slower moving diagonally than when moving in a straight line, so hover down towards the bottom of the screen. Mike always appears toward the top of the screen, so that will buy you a few milli-seconds while he crosses diagonally downward to you. It's a minimal advantage, but it's been helpful to me and has saved me a few times.

But....after I passed the 50k mark.....he got UNBELIEVABLY fast!!! I can't see how you could dodge him at those speeds.

At his fastest, Mike moves just as fast as you do. Not faster, just AS fast. In other words, he won't catch up to you if you're moving away from him, but you CANNOT DODGE HIM. Trying to get around him at that speed is suicide. At that level, it becomes a waiting game, as you will be effectively "herded" in a certain direction. Eventually, you'll get where you wanted to go, but you need to just steer clear of Mike completely and always head in the opposite direction, even if it means you'll be taking the long way around.

Got over 50k! The game is hard if you are stuck with the situation where there are no kids on the first level and you have to go through the blackout rooms to get to another one. Michael can pop out in the dark and cut your head clean off, before the lights come back on. Sometimes even if you're in the middle of the room. This is how I met my tragic demise.

post-10944-1194097537_thumb.jpg

95,175! So close to breaking 100K. There have been so many tips given so far (and they're all great, BTW) so I'll throw a couple in as well:

1. The knife is your friend. Learn how to use it to "kill" Myers. Especially on the fast levels, it may be the only way to get to the other side of a screen.

2. Don't feel guilty about sacrificing a couple of kids here and there. The house is full of them. If you're trying to get past a screen (especially the blackout screens) let Myers off the kid, which will allow you to get by safely. I know that sounds horrible, but it helped me get that score. :twisted:

post-9712-1194112003_thumb.png

Yecch! This game is as DULL as DILBERT. Cool sounds though. I don't know how anyone can stand to play it long enough to reach 100k. i know i couldn't. I'd fall asleep.

3,375 Is my first and only score this week.

Edited by rheffera

Yecch! This game is as DULL as DILBERT. Cool sounds though. I don't know how anyone can stand to play it long enough to reach 100k. i know i couldn't. I'd fall asleep.

3,375 Is my first and only score this week.

That's why I also only did one submission. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

My new best is...

post-10944-1194199533_thumb.jpg

I have another tip as weel (don't know if it has been mentioned or not yet).

TIP: Don't try to knife the killer. It doesn't seem like it is worthwhile (score-wise) eventhough it may feel satisfying. I see three reasons: it seems harder to do than saving children, it is worth less points than saving children, and it advances the level quicker (two kills vs. 5 saves). Therefore, you will end up at harder levels with a lower score. I gave up knifing early on; bad habit anyway. ;)

My new best is...

TIP: Don't try to knife the killer. It doesn't seem like it is worthwhile (score-wise) eventhough it may feel satisfying. I see three reasons: it seems harder to do than saving children, it is worth less points than saving children, and it advances the level quicker (two kills vs. 5 saves). Therefore, you will end up at harder levels with a lower score. I gave up knifing early on; bad habit anyway. ;)

NO!!!

STAB THAT SUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!

Final score:

I can see how this could go on forever.....but you have to have crazy-ass reflexes to survive past the 50k mark. If you relax for just one second, Michael will get you. Those cheap ass deaths got me.......when Michael appears on the screen right when you do.